The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-13-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
Well Played MrP.
I need to get some recording done as I'm getting bored of playing the same thing every time I pick up the guitar but it's coming along well.

Ed Gerhard's arrangement of "The Water is Wide" is a very nice tune that goes well with Shenandoh as a suggestion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL2qj16Hw_w
Thank you LeftArm!

Nice arrangement of "The Water..." I'll remember this in my future list!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Guest 33123

Day 15: geez has it been 15 days already on this? I have a lot more to go too. Very long and frustrating repertoire practice yesterday between Thanksgiving dinner cooking moments. BUT I nailed the first part of the medley after 2-3 failed attempts! After that I goofed around with the second part and I'm definitely getting it. I'll work on it some more tonight and try to get the next connecting lick down.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Mind if I jump in this? A Tad late.

It's been a while since I tried to learn a song especially a finger picky one.

Been loving Flowers of Ayako by Franco Morone. A beautiful song.

Could learn that.
Jump in, Scotch. 'I'll be finishing my song this week hopefully (wife permitting, lol) and I'm kinda stumped as to what to learn next. I want to try something new and short, not relearn something I used to play (I do that "on the side" so I don't get bored doing just one song).

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Day 15: geez has it been 15 days already on this? I have a lot more to go too. Very long and frustrating repertoire practice yesterday between Thanksgiving dinner cooking moments. BUT I nailed the first part of the medley after 2-3 failed attempts! After that I goofed around with the second part and I'm definitely getting it. I'll work on it some more tonight and try to get the next connecting lick down.
Doug, just record it, doing multiple versions of it in one recording, then just cut out the ones with mistakes. It works for me because I forget that I'm recording and I'm relaxed by the third or fourth time I run through the tune.

My SoundCloud page

Old 10-13-2014, 09:01 PM

I found that practicing to get up to speed is pointless. Practice the song as slow as it takes to play it without mistakes. If you force the speed you most likely will be practicing making mistakes.

I worked on playin with my recording setup. I'll prolly catch something sometime if I do it often enough. I always screw it up when I try and lay something down
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 10-14-2014, 01:46 AM

I was up early this morning so I thought I'd get a recording done. Unfortunately my recording setup decided that was not going to happen. I have a USB mic plugged into a Nexus 7 and it all seemed to be working until about 2 minutes in the mic decided to disconnect. It then did this every minute or two and I spent more time fiddling with it than playing the guitar.
I did learn one thing though. My singing is awful! (Or should I say needs a lot of work)
Old 10-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Doug, just record it, doing multiple versions of it in one recording, then just cut out the ones with mistakes. It works for me because I forget that I'm recording and I'm relaxed by the third or fourth time I run through the tune.
Unfortunately I get even more stressed when recording!

Day 16: really great and rewarding repertoire practice last night. Felt good. Then I nailed the first part of the medley in a couple of tries which felt even better. So I moved onto the second part of the medley and learned all of the parts in isolation. That was quite easy but now I have to stitch it together. Tried last night but it just didn't happen. The one thing that's killing me is this 3rd position C with a thumb wrap G in the bass and an A on the high E string. Need to practice it more to get it clean and make it work with that Rev. Gary Davis rhythmic lick.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:35 AM

Sitting in a hotel room far away from my guitars.
Made some progress on Darcy's Guitar before leaving home and long to get home again to keep up the work. Unfortunately I have to wait until Friday.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrP View Post
Sitting in a hotel room far away from my guitars.
Made some progress on Darcy's Guitar before leaving home and long to get home again to keep up the work. Unfortunately I have to wait until Friday.

Now you have an excuse to buy a travel guitar! Go for it

My SoundCloud page

Old 10-14-2014, 06:46 PM

This is taking a while. Work and fall yard/garden stuff is keeping me pretty busy this month. Still making slow progress though.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-14-2014, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
This is taking a while. Work and fall yard/garden stuff is keeping me pretty busy this month. Still making slow progress though.

Me too. My other weekend project is painting the kitchen/dining room. Going with two colors, top and bottom with a chair rail going in too.

Plus this is my week to stink it up, my fingers feel sluggish. Just have to push through it.

My SoundCloud page

Old 10-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Guest 33123

Day 17: had about 20 minutes last night. Getting that crazy C chord 3x5555 down. I absolutely have to finger it the way Stefan shows in the video, otherwise no dice. After a few tries I was able to play the whole second part of the medley without an error. So I'm feeling pretty happy. Next thing is to solidify and pick up the tempo then stitch part A and B together.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:59 AM

Managed to get a longer recording this morning. This is recorded with a mic while the last one I used an amp connected to the guitar. This gives me the option of singing but I decided to keep my mouth shut.

Then I though, hey I can add a vocal track over the top. Tried to sing it through but the guitar part is short a verse.. Darn

It must be decorating time of year because I'm having a couple of bedrooms painted. We've got someone in to do it but it does mean the house is a tip.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
Managed to get a longer recording this morning. This is recorded with a mic while the last one I used an amp connected to the guitar. This gives me the option of singing but I decided to keep my mouth shut.

Then I though, hey I can add a vocal track over the top. Tried to sing it through but the guitar part is short a verse.. Darn

It must be decorating time of year because I'm having a couple of bedrooms painted. We've got someone in to do it but it does mean the house is a tip.
Sounds good Lefty! I love that blues stuff.

My SoundCloud page

Old 10-15-2014, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

--Darcy's Guitar--
Ok,I figured out what I was doing wrong that this one transition kept giving me a hard time. I was picking up my ring finger from the fretboard when I should have just been sliding down to the next position. Here is the transition:

played with index(2) and ring(4)
e
b
g
d4
a2
e

then to

e
b3
g
d3
a
e3

played middle, ring and pinky.

I was lifting my hand up and fretting the position from scratch when I didn't have to. Also, as I remember Rick-Slo saying one time that if you have a sticky part, practice that one section, not too much before or after it as it is a waste of time (not an exact quote, but you get the drift). So I narrowed my practice down to the one note before the transition and it clicked in my head what I was doing wrong. My guitar brain is starting to kick in after my layoff finally. A completely "duh" moment.

My SoundCloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write