The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 10-12-2020, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Default (SOLD) 2019 Ryan Grand Cathedral - Ziricote, BearClaw Spruce - Dead Mint

It is time to splurge on yourself my friends:

My 2019 Ryan Grand Cathedral is up for sale, a majestic guitar in every conceivable way. It is, as you would expect, a concert-grade instrument. Each note is crystalline, powerful, blooming, and awash with the right amount of overtones.

When I think Kevin Ryan, my mind goes to Steinway, Bösendorfer, and Fazioli – elite piano builders. The gravitas of the instrument is evident in the way it looks but difficult to appreciate until you have had the chance to experience it in person.

This is not a guitar for the faint of heart. A powerful, bold instrument that delivers exactly what you ask and responds with precision. The gorgeous ziricote back give the instrument definition and power, the bearclaw spruce provides crystalline warmth and complexity.

As it is a 2019 model, the condition is dead mint, showroom condition. This Grand Cathedral contains all of Kevin Ryan’s innovations developed throughout his 33 years as a luthier: Acoustic honeycomb, engineered laser cut bracing, spherically-arched back, Ryan bevel, acoustic flutes, and titanium bridge pins. It is impressive to behold this artistic and engineering masterpiece.

Please call or email me with questions – don’t be shy! I’m open to offers but I’ve set the price fairly low to sell. Generally not open to trades but may entertain a Ryan Nightingale made in the past few years. All specs standard to the model with 1.75 nut width.

To be honest, this Grand Cathedral is simply too big sounding for me. I hope to pass it on to a worthier artist than me.

Sound Clip Drop D
Zoom H4, Elixir PB Lights
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arx3HQTJAompnaRU...poctw?e=sXfZjU
Sound Clip Standard
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arx3HQTJAompnaRW...X9HQg?e=qp6Fjg

Last edited by BigOrangeBox; 01-11-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Let me be the first to commend Jonathon as a first rate seller and gentleman. Feel free to contact me if you need a reference on him or this stellar instrument.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
Let me be the first to commend Jonathon as a first rate seller and gentleman. Feel free to contact me if you need a reference on him or this stellar instrument.
Thank you Michael for your vote of confidence! It means a lot!
Old 10-13-2020, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

Interesting bracing & bridge plate.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 10-16-2020, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Talking Interesting bridge and bracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrell View Post
Interesting bracing & bridge plate.
Yes indeed. I thought the bracing and brace plate was pretty radical the first time I saw it. The article below describes it better than I can! When you have a chance, check it out.

https://ryanguitars.com/ag-12-10

"One recent CNC-enabled development is the Acoustic Parallel Plate (APP), a complex laser-cut honeycomb structure that is partly Ryan's answer to the increasingly popular double-top concept. The APP allows Ryan to eliminate all bracing below the X brace, creating an even lighter, more responsive top."

"Many luthiers rely on "tap tuning," the process of tapping a potential top and listening to how it responds. Ryan thought the process was too subjective. "I felt that if I tapped on that top Monday morning, it would sound different to me than if I tapped on it Wednesday evening," he says. Instead, he created a graph—a Cartesian coordinate system, with the weight of a top on one axis, and its deflection under a known weight on the other. After each guitar was finished, he evaluated its tone and marked the graph at the appropriate spot, using a color code to indicate a range from "OK" to "great." While following a scientific methodology, the evaluation criteria was necessarily subjective, and Ryan's ratings were based on how close he felt each instrument came to his ideal tone, which Ryan says includes "a beautiful blossom to the notes."

It didn't take long for a pattern to emerge, and Ryan found that all of the "great" guitars fell within a small range of weight and deflection, which is essentially a way to characterize the density of the wood. Today, Ryan simply chooses tops to match the range of weight and deflection he initially identified, with the exact numbers varying according to the size of the guitar. "

Last edited by BigOrangeBox; 10-16-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:03 AM

That is an absolute stunner! Ziricote is one of my favorite all-time woods. Its dramatic figuring is so unique.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:56 PM

What figuring on the back!
Old 10-27-2020, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Smile Yowza!

What a MONSTER axe!

Best on this and finding a dream machine you truly LOVE to play.

Stay vigilant and well!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-01-2020, 03:24 PM

Wow, that guitar looks like a stunner!
Old 11-28-2020, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

Default A couple of sound clips added

Sound Clip Drop D
Zoom H4, Elixir PB Lights
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arx3HQTJAompnaRU...poctw?e=sXfZjU
Sound Clip Standard
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arx3HQTJAompnaRW...X9HQg?e=qp6Fjg
Old 01-07-2021, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Bump Bump

Bump! Hope everyone is having a great start to 2021!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
charis, goodall, olson, petros, ryan