The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-07-2017, 03:09 PM

Default Anyone installed a Pickguard on a CF?

Has anyone installed a pick guard on their CF guitar? I am interested in one that would fit the Shorty, to keep pick marks off the finish,,,,just in case.
I wonder if the addition of one would have any affect on the top? My wood guitars all have them so I don't see why, but looking for opinions.
I think a thin one vs a heavy bevel edged one would be sufficient any reccomendations for a source? Thanks all
Old 01-07-2017, 03:12 PM

Just for a role reversal, have one made out of Adirondack spruce.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Just for a role reversal, have one made out of Adirondack spruce.
Cute! But then you will have to humidify your CF guitar.....

I 've had a clear vinyl pick guard on my WS-1000 for some 15 years now. I cut it out of vinyl pick guard stock and stuck it on there years ago. While I don't need a pick guard myself (I don't usually trash the top even with a flat pick and the clear coat is quite tough all by itself) I am very open about letting others try my Rainsong. Other folks are not always as careful with my baby......
Old 01-07-2017, 03:32 PM

I put one of these on my RainSong H-DR1100N2. I cut it with a razor compass to match the soundhole exactly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UltraThin-Cl...4WhPE7Q1zlt__Q

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-07-2017, 04:03 PM
Guest 928

Stewart-MacDonald has .005" X10" x 13" sheets of clear self-adhesive Mylar that I use on all my guitars (item # 3419). You can hardly see them and they last a long, long time. They can also be removed.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Yeh. I personally like the look, and they served their purpose...

Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-07-2017, 05:25 PM

Not on purpose, but the previous owner of my WS3000 installed a CF pattern one.

Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-07-2017, 05:42 PM

Thanks I hadn't thought of the clear stock, will check it out...
Old 01-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

I used a cling-fit clear one on my Shorty when I first got it. Then figured out I just didn't need it.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:26 PM
Guest 928

I can't do what the Captain does; that's probably why he is the Captain. I brush the top with my finger tips and those brushes show up in fine lines. The finish on a CF guitar, like the finish on most guitars, is not going to handle tapping and brushing without showing the effects. I know that there are players, like the Captain, who play so clean that they do not need a guard--I am not one of those players and need some guard. I could also use some oversight, but my wife generally takes care of that.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I can't do what the Captain does; that's probably why he is the Captain. I brush the top with my finger tips and those brushes show up in fine lines. The finish on a CF guitar, like the finish on most guitars, is not going to handle tapping and brushing without showing the effects. I know that there are players, like the Captain, who play so clean that they do not need a guard--I am not one of those players and need some guard. I could also use some oversight, but my wife generally takes care of that.
I'm not a captain, nor do I play one on TV, but as a barefinger picker who plays very clean, I don't need no guards either.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

"Clean"... thanks, Evan - I have had some interesting descriptive terms aimed my way, but "clean" was never one of them. I have an 814 with a gorgeous tobacco burst and no pick-guard. No scratches. But, on guitars I have with pick-guards, there are pick marks in the guard. Go figure.

I haven't put any scratches on the Shorty, but I did let a guy (friend of a friend) use it one evening when we played together. I'm not a light strummer, but this guy was heavy handed. After a couple years with the Shorty, I figured it was up to it. There's a few marks in it now. Putting a pick-guard on it now would be like closing the barn door after the horse has eaten the children.

There's a reason I don't generally casually let others play my guitars. I don't obsess over them, but I do handle them with care. Yes, even the carbon fiber guitars.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:04 PM

RP, do you remember where you got the pick guards? thanks, Jerry
Old 01-08-2017, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the input guys, found a company called Terrapin Guitars right near me in Eugene Or. that makes custom pick guards and they have one that fits the shorty perfect. In case anyone else is interested it looks like a 2.3125 R OM size fits perfect, their description is a OM18V size. They come in Black which is what I want and also Tortoise and White.... Jerry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber