The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-14-2017, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Default a follow up on Epiphone Olympic verses Godin 5th avenue

I wanted to do a follow up to a query I posted about these 2 particular archtops. I decided that I am going to save towards the black finished Godin 5th avenue. To me, the reason I have decided to go in the direction of the Godin is while I like the looks of the 3 different archtops Epiphone came out with last year, they are acoustic-electric, which would be great if I was playing in a band, but I'm not. I think Epiphone should have offered at least one model straight acoustic, then I would have been going in that direction. As it is, I think that Godin pays a lot of attention to there assorted lines of guitars and has great quality control. I will post again when I obtain what I am after.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:23 AM

Interesting reasoning.

I have owned two Kingpins in the past. Liked them a lot, but really just liked the plugged in sound. Ended up selling them both and the Blues Jr amp I had, though I probably regret that to some degree.

I picked up a Zenith last week and find its acoustic sound better to my ear than the Godin.

They both fill the same space, but are distinctly different. Enjoy the Godin, its a great instrument.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

I had played this one a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I don't play often through an amp as my playing room is small otherwise I would be foaming at the mouth for one.

Masterbult Century Deluxe Archtop Vintage finish

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-17-2017, 07:46 AM

I haven't owned a Godin but when I was looking for an affordable acoustic archtop I did try a couple in store (with the pickups) and didn't care much for them. However recently I saw an acoustic only version and out of curiosity, tried it out. I liked it much better then the acoustic/electric version. I know the attached pickups make a difference, but it seemed liked more than that, not only did it sound better but it played much nicer, too. Are you getting the acoustic only version?
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 09-17-2017, 10:27 AM

The Godin is a real gem. Definitely an electric guitar, but one with enough acoustic presence to play unplugged enjoyably. Try Monel strings.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-17-2017, 02:05 PM

On my archtop journey over the past couple years I've played all the available models I could find here in the NW. Still haven't run across the new Epi's in person yet. I was very underwhelmed by the unplugged sound of the Godin's, Gretsch's, D'angelico's, "The Loar's" and even a new Gibson. The only guitars that have sounded good to me acoustically were a couple vintage Gibson's and my Eastman. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
...I was very underwhelmed by the unplugged sound of the Godins...
A set of 13's will clear that up in a hurry...
Old 09-19-2017, 10:03 PM

I guess I will chime in here. I've got a Kingpin the works well as my only acoustic guitar at this point. As mentioned above a set of 0.13 strings just plain wakes up these plywood guitars. I also happen to like to put the monel Retros on it.

My suggestion is not to rule out getting one with a neck P90, I have found that having the pickup and pots mounted to the top does not badly degrade the unplugged sound, especially with heavier strings.

The pick up does take you back to that magic early 50s Electro Spanish vibe without springing for a vintage instrument. The pickup adds just so much more potential even though the Kingpin serves well unplugged.

Mine is a blonde but the black model is nice - when my wife and I first looked at them in the store the black one was her favorite.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

The one that I am wanting would be the straight acoustic version, not with the pick-up. However, after having posted this, am having second thoughts but know that for certain some kind of archtop is in the future. After I sell off the guitars, keeping back my Martin Dreadnought Jr., the money from that will determine what I eventually get.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:39 AM

For an arch top on the cheap, some of the Gretsch re-issues don't look or sound bad. Have to say I'm a little tempted by the G9550 New Yorker.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
For an arch top on the cheap, some of the Gretsch re-issues don't look or sound bad. Have to say I'm a little tempted by the G9550 New Yorker.
Don't be - in spite of the solid top they're thin and edgy-sounding when played acoustically; I've played them all, and if you're jonesing for a Gretsch archtop the only one that really did it for me is the now-discontinued Synchromatic 400 non-cutaway reissue - which, at around $1200-1300 used, costs almost as much as they did new a few years back. While I love my Godins, I've also heard some good things about the Loar LH-300 - and if you can find a good one (they've had some issues with neck geometry - critical on an archtop - so you may have to cherry-pick until you find one that works) they're quite the bargain at around $550 brand-new...
Old 09-23-2017, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjop1975 View Post
....snip ... I think Epiphone should have offered at least one model straight acoustic, then I would have been going in that direction. As it is, I think that Godin pays a lot of attention to there assorted lines of guitars and has great quality control. I will post again when I obtain what I am after.
I think you make a VERY good point. I went to check the Epis out when they dfist arrived in my area - along with a determined jazzer pal.

First think the chap in the shop did was set up an amp and leads for us !

Of course as nice as the new Eis look (and they do look nice) - they aren't "real" archtops - no carved solid wood etc., so they are never going to emulate a real acoustic sound.

Godins? Not much experience. I had an Eastman AR805e which had a beautiful acoustic sound - and I'm sorry I parted with it now.

If you want that real early fifties /pre war sound - why not look out for an old Gibson? Some bargains to be had. There's a sweet little Kalamzmazoo on US Ebay for $700 ish.
anther thought - I have a '60s Harmony Monterey which although only a presed top gives a genuine archtop sound.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
The Godin is a real gem. Definitely an electric guitar, but one with enough acoustic presence to play unplugged enjoyably. Try Monel strings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzmad View Post
I also happen to like to put the monel Retros on it.
Great choice for an acoustic archtop. Not a good choice for one equipped with a magnetic pickup. Plugged-in string balance is very uneven with the Monel Retros (B and high E are twice as loud as the wound strings). I love their acoustic sound though. They sound already broken in when they're new. Best string I've tried for an acoustic archtop.

Regarding the topic at hand, it seems that whether or not the Epi is acoustic or acoustic-electric would be irrelevant if it weren't for the battery box, but they do look ugly and tend to rattle. Furthermore, I'm not a fan of the plugged-in sound of the Epiphones' piezo pickup. Not sure if it would be a deal breaker for me or not, but the existence of the piezo pickup and battery box make the Epi models less desirable to me.

Last edited by Hot Vibrato; 09-30-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:21 PM

My Kingpin has a P90 that allows you to pull up or down for each string with a little screwdriver to adjust for a number of things. Monels need this as the wound strings have a weaker output. They work for me and I run the Kingpin through a speaker with a 56 oz magnet.

Last edited by Dadzmad; 09-30-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

I think you will be happy with your decision. In all honesty, I don't play my Epi plugged in. I use it strictly as an acoustic. I have played quite a few models of the "modern" archtops now and liked the Epi the most, with the Kingpin coming second, and the Gretsch third. I also played an Eastman archtop, and I would probably place that at the top, though not by a ton.

The Kingpin probably has a bit more authentic sound than any aside from MAYBE the Eastman.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops