The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-02-2012, 07:40 PM

Default Adamas 2080sr

hello, i'm something of a noob to carbon fiber guitars. i've loved all of the pics of rainsongs that i had seen over the last year or so. unfortunately i live nowhere near a good guitar dealer to try any out. 7 weeks ago i went on a long road trip in search of a rainsong. i found a few at a dealer in Hudson falls NY. i played the ones they had but found them to be brighter than i had imagined them. i have a Taylor k10ce which i find to be overly bright for a lot of the music i like to play.
i did try out an Adamas 2080sr and fell in love with it's clear, dark sound.
needless to say, the 2080sr now resides with me and i love it!!!!! does anyone else have experience with this wonderful instrument?
Old 09-03-2012, 02:26 AM

I own two Ovations with wood tops and Rainsongs and Emeralds. Ovation makes a great guitar but I have never played the 2080. I have heard great things, and I can see that it would probably sound more balanced like a wood guitar. Good pick up. Ovation built a proto type total Carbon guitar a while back but I guess could never get it to market at a price that made sense. Adamas I think would be harder to find in stores than Rainsong, your lucky to have been able to play one.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 09-03-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:05 AM

Default Lucky, lucky YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc View Post
hello, i'm something of a noob to carbon fiber guitars. i've loved all of the pics of rainsongs that i had seen over the last year or so. unfortunately i live nowhere near a good guitar dealer to try any out. 7 weeks ago i went on a long road trip in search of a rainsong. i found a few at a dealer in Hudson falls NY. i played the ones they had but found them to be brighter than i had imagined them. i have a Taylor k10ce which i find to be overly bright for a lot of the music i like to play.
needless to say, the 2080sr now resides with me and i love it!!!!! does anyone else have experience with this wonderful instrument?
I don't have a 2080, but I own half a dozen Adamas guitars. My very favorite is my 1680. Your guitar (2080) is going to ruin you, ha. Not too many other guitars, I don't care what brand/model they are, are going to beat the playability or the sound ... you'll see ... oh, wait, you already know, don't you! Congratulations on your acquisition of a fabulous, wonderful instrument.

Willa
Old 10-30-2012, 08:25 PM

thanks willa. so far so good. haven't really played any of my others since i got this one. still experimenting with strings. trying to find a set that sounds perfect to me on it. settling so far on Daddario EXP 16's for strumming and silk n steels for fingerpicking. almost feel as if i should get another so i can try 2 sets at once ! ****, if only they were a bit cheaper.
i'm considering getting rid of my taylor and investing in another carbon fiber. so many Adamas' to choose from and i hear a lot of good things about CA's and emeralds( though they are next to impossible to find/try here )
Old 10-31-2012, 01:24 PM

You can get on a road trip from MacNickle Guitar in Utah, they sponser the Carbon Guitar Forum. They are currently sent out a new Emerald X20 OX. You pay $40 and you have the guitar for a week and send it on. It really is a great deal, only way to try some of these models for me. My gut is this model will set the new standard.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc View Post
I have an Adamas 2080 NWT (late 2008 model) with VIP 5 Preamp. I concur with you on the 2080 tone being clear and dark compared to an all-carbon guitar's brightness. I'd say the Adamas's tone is closer to a wooden tone than an all-carbon-fiber guitar. I love the VIP 5 Preamp with its what I believe are Fishman Aura Images. When plugged-in, the Adamas sounds the best of all my acoustic-electric guitars!

Regards,

RainDance (aka SpruceTop)
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-20-2012, 05:43 AM

I've owned several Adamas over the years and without a doubt I love them. They are truly amazing guitars and I play my current one all the time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber