The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-21-2009, 11:05 PM

Default My $35 mic is wonderful

I now have two mics.

The first mic I ever bought was an Audio Technica AE3300, which is a $250 condenser mic. It's sensitive and accurate. I've sang into it raw and through my TC Electronics VoiceTone Correct pedal. And I've also mic'd guitars and groups.

And I'd really thought that accuracy is where it's at, but I'm learning that's not necessarily the case.

I decided to explore dynamic mics by buying a cheap one from eBay. I found a new EV N/D767a for $35. Wow. This mic is the best money I've spent in a long time. No need for the VoiceTone pedal - raw sounds great. Really beefy and smooth. And I can turn down the gain a bit and really get close to the mic for that proximity bass bloom. Fun.

Anyway, live and learn.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:38 AM

Wow! How did you find an EV N/D767A for that price new? I own 1 that I bought years ago new. They originally went for $170 to $200. Regular price now new is still around $100 (Ebay). Even used $35 would be a great price. That mic is a step or 2 up from a Shure SM58 (probably closer to a Beta 58) and it has the bass roll-off switch. Sounds like you got a steal on it.....

Ryan
Old 01-22-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
Wow! How did you find an EV N/D767A for that price new? I own 1 that I bought years ago new. They originally went for $170 to $200. Regular price now new is still around $100 (Ebay). Even used $35 would be a great price. That mic is a step or 2 up from a Shure SM58 (probably closer to a Beta 58) and it has the bass roll-off switch. Sounds like you got a steal on it.....

Ryan
I got lucky. Looking back at the ad it now sinks in that it was used but in "perfect working condition" (one week of use). It was $40 plus a $10 off eBay coupon plus $5 shipping.

eBay can be a good way to go. On the other side of the equation I'm selling a Fishman Aura Dreadnought pedal that I'm gonna lose money on.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:36 AM

I also have this mic (but I paid just a bit more for it off evilbay in "like new" condition as well) and think it's one of the best bang-for-the-bucks mic out there! Nice score.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 01-22-2009, 10:24 AM

You guys both made out very well......
I couldn't get squat if I tried to sell mine now apparently. Guess it's a keeper!
What's sad is that I have a Sennheiser E-835 and tend to like my voice thru it much better. My voice is low and bassy though. IMO the EV is better for someone with a higher voice. I dont think I sound crisp enough thru it...... Bummer. It is a nice mic.

Ryan
Old 01-22-2009, 11:06 AM

Wow, that is an incredible Mic for a price which is even more incredible! I had one. That is a killer Vocal Mic!

It's the Music That Really Matters!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
...My voice is low and bassy though. IMO the EV is better for someone with a higher voice. I dont think I sound crisp enough thru it...... Bummer. It is a nice mic.
You might be onto something. I have a tenor-type voice.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
You might be onto something. I have a tenor-type voice.
This EV has great low output. I think it's a little too warm for someone with a lot of low and mid in their voice (like me). For someone with a higher voice it's great because it gives them lots of bottom end. I didn't know this stuff when I bought mine. Live and learn. For the going price, I would still recommend one to the right singer. For the price you paid I would recommend one to anyone......

Ryan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification