The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-11-2018, 08:08 AM

Default Your Favorite Upgrade

Hi All!

I have a Loudbox amplifier, and a basic senheiser microphone. I am looking forward to getting the TC Helicon H1 harmonizer. I have been told I have a wonderful voice. I see there are pedals for toning, which supposedly improves the voice and the guitar sound.

I am a minimalist, but am wondering what upgrades you have done that were like, OMG moments, that really surprised you and really added to your voice and guitar. Black Friday is coming up, and I think I want to put an order into Sweetwater.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-11-2018, 09:02 AM

You might look at the TC Helicon Play Acoustic which will give you both voice processing and guitar processing. It will improve your pickup's sound with Body Rez, add reverb if you want, give you some eq and compression for your voice and provide harmonies and other voice effects (including reverb for the voice too). It is a great little box.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 11-11-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
You might look at the TC Helicon Play Acoustic which will give you both voice processing and guitar processing. It will improve your pickup's sound with Body Rez, add reverb if you want, give you some eq and compression for your voice and provide harmonies and other voice effects (including reverb for the voice too). It is a great little box.
Thank you! Yes, I have been looking at it, but it seems like it almost has too much! I hate complicated menus! But you make some great points about everything that it includes!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-11-2018, 09:35 AM

Try the BOSS VE8 - a lot more user friendly and gives you all that the Play Acoustic does, with more fingertip control and only deep diving on the menus.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Try the BOSS VE8 - a lot more user friendly and gives you all that the Play Acoustic does, with more fingertip control and only deep diving on the menus.
Ok, this does look much easier. Fingertip instead of a menu. Thank you...

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-11-2018, 09:46 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srw6...I#action=share

Its really cool how she easily flips from different settings. This is programmed? Is that easy to set up on the Boss VE8?

Thanks for your help!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-11-2018, 11:18 AM

Im not sure I would call it an upgrade, but getting my Seagull Artist equipped with an LR Baggs I-Beam active pickup to play very well thru my Fender DeVille 410. To my ears it sounds better than my Loudbox Artist.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for the Boss VE-8. We love ours. The TC Play Acoustic is also great, just a little more menu driven. Keep in mind the VE-8 has some sub-menu programming features (like EQ) that require a little bit of reading but I've never had an issue with it.

My main reason for going with the VE-8 over the Play Acoustic is having an actual physical knob for the notch which is the one thing that is essential for me to have immediate access to on the fly at a gig. I also think the VE-8 is a much better looking unit!

The best thing I love about it was how it took the place of several pedals. One until instead of like five or six AND it runs on batteries. It was and is the perfect accompaniment to the Bose S1 Pro. We run on all battery now even when there is power available. Super fast setup and breakdown!
Old 11-11-2018, 02:38 PM

There are a number of threads comparing these two units and I think the consensus is that the Boss is simpler to deal with and easier to learn, but the Play Acoustic sounds better, with better harmonies (if I remember correctly). So you should just decide what your priorities are, ease of use, or the way the vocals and harmonies sound. The Play Acoustic does have a learning curve, but it really delivers the goods in terms of sound, but I don't have a Boss unit so I can't make the comparison myself. There are a lot of Youtubes about both of them which show how they sound and how they work. Good luck.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 11-11-2018, 02:42 PM

Mine was probably the grace felix .
That and the onsong app. probably my
best "oh wow!!" moments.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:16 PM

BOSS VE8 is what I have...its fun.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-11-2018, 05:26 PM

Delay effects, preferably tap tempo capable. If your sound feels a little 'thin' adding delay to your guitar and vocals can help give a fuller sound. Having a good voice to start with is good, so you don't have to hide behind tons of reverb.

I might add upgrading your vocal mic might not be a bad idea. The Sennheiser e935 and/or e945 can be had for $99 right now.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
BOSS VE8 is what I have...its fun.
Dear lord Kramster, I need to come over and check it out! OMG what don't you have, lol!!!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-11-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
There are a number of threads comparing these two units and I think the consensus is that the Boss is simpler to deal with and easier to learn, but the Play Acoustic sounds better, with better harmonies (if I remember correctly). So you should just decide what your priorities are, ease of use, or the way the vocals and harmonies sound. The Play Acoustic does have a learning curve, but it really delivers the goods in terms of sound, but I don't have a Boss unit so I can't make the comparison myself. There are a lot of Youtubes about both of them which show how they sound and how they work. Good luck.
Thank you so much! The better harmonies are definitely a priority since I am a singer. I will go check some youtubes out on the menu. thanks again

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-12-2018, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

ToneDexter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification