The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
i posted a thread here on -whats it worth- months ago, anyway i found this univox amp on trash day about 10 years ago- yea, it was rained on too, so i brought it home, dried it out and it worked, 30 watt all tube amp, i really didnt like the sound of it and for 30watts, it seems more like 5-10 watts, for the heck of it i put it on craiglist for $175, someone bought it, now i see it relisted as a classic univox hand wired for $425!! its makes me feel bad that someone would buy that piece of junk for that
Interestingly enough if he gets that $425 price he will have made a hefty 142 % margin. Handily eclipsed however by the 175% margin you made

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-11-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I don't even know why it bothers him that the guy is using the photos. Why would you care? Are they amazingly artistic shots or something?
In some cases it is actually illegal to use someone else's images without permission. So, yeah, the OP has a right to care.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:19 AM

Reuse of the photos is bad form.

My brother and I bought and sold many guitars from the 50s and 60s. Our rule of thumb was: it’s always worth more right after you sell it.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:22 AM

And then Mr. Haney said: Mr. Douglas, have I got a deal fer you!!!
And I'd rather listen to a fat woman fart, than a grown man cry...

No offense boys...
My team lost yesterday too
Old 10-29-2018, 09:39 PM

You just need to move on. If you posted pics on the Internet without any kind of copywrite protection, they are public domain. If you didn't know what you had and sold it for garbage, not his fault either. Apparently it was not a "piece of junk" to somebody.

I would have no qualms about using non copyrighted public domain pics if they accurately represented the item I was selling. what is the problem here?
Old 10-29-2018, 11:29 PM

Years ago I bought a dirty Italian road bicycle in pieces from craigslist. The pieces (and a box of parts) had been hanging around in a dusty garage, untouched, for who knows how many years. I restored it to working status — using my specialized tools, lubes, and experience — and sold it to a very happy lady a week later for twice what I’d paid.

Did I do something wrong? The bloke I bought it from sent me a snarky email “congratulating” me. What say you?

Last edited by David MacNeill; 10-29-2018 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-30-2018, 09:54 PM

The Internet is a strange place. It just seems to bring the worst out in people. Did you immediately offer to pay what you made in profit on the bike plus interest to the individual? I didn't think so.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull S6 View Post
You just need to move on. If you posted pics on the Internet without any kind of copywrite protection, they are public domain. If you didn't know what you had and sold it for garbage, not his fault either. Apparently it was not a "piece of junk" to somebody.

I would have no qualms about using non copyrighted public domain pics if they accurately represented the item I was selling. what is the problem here?
I would agree with move on.

BUT :
The bold statement is not accurate. Because it already had copyright protection . By statute the moment you affix the photo (or any original art) to a tangible medium (i.e. in this case film, or camera memory card,) you have automatically created "copyright protection" and it is definitely not " Public Domain" regardless of posting to the internet or not.
Perhaps you, like many, are confusing copyright "protection" with copyright "registration" which makes enforcing copyright protection easier from a legal standpoint.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars