The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-15-2018, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Default lowrider is going electric!

Well, it's not the big deal that it was back in '65 when Bob did it at Newport, but I stopped at GC today and played Telecasters! It was fun! I played four of them, an American, two Mexicans, and a Squire. Having been a Jersey Shore, Asbury Park, Stone Pony guy, way back when, of course, they all were natural like Bruce's!

I could really feel the difference between the Squire and the other three. But the Mexican's were really nice and I can see one of those in my future unless I can find a nice used American Tele for a good deal. They were so much fun!

I also tried three different Fender amps. They recommended a $400 Blues-something or other, but there were other less expensive Fender amps with lots of dials and adjustments that were cool to switch around.

Wow, it's like being a kid again!!!!!
Old 11-15-2018, 02:50 PM

Glad you had fun! I still play electric bass now and then, mostly for recording, but I haven't owned an electric guitar in yonks.

I love them and will likely pick up a real cheap one again someday (again, primarily for recording) but my issue with electrics is that I go GAS crazy with wanting to experiment with effects pedals, amps, more guitars, etc

I love the sound and feel of acoustics, but even more just the "grab-n-play" nature of them.

Teles are my favorites. Les Paul's and 335s a close second.

- John Shedd
Old 11-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Electric is awesome. I've started with electric and played it exclusively for 15 years before picking up fingerstyle acoustic.

I love, love, love Telecasters.

And SGs. And Strats.

But especially SGs.

With P90s like Pete.

Or buckers like Angus.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Electric is awesome. I've started with electric and played it exclusively for 15 years before picking up fingerstyle acoustic.

And SGs. And Strats.

But especially SGs.

With P90s like Pete.

Or buckers like Angus.
Still got my custom Squier Strat, I loaded it up with two mighty mite P90's custom pick gaurd from stew McDonald I gigged with it for 10 years,
Old 11-15-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Well, it's not the big deal that it was back in '65 when Bob did it at Newport, but I stopped at GC today and played Telecasters! It was fun! I played four of them, an American, two Mexicans, and a Squire. Having been a Jersey Shore, Asbury Park, Stone Pony guy, way back when, of course, they all were natural like Bruce's!

I could really feel the difference between the Squire and the other three. But the Mexican's were really nice and I can see one of those in my future unless I can find a nice used American Tele for a good deal. They were so much fun!

I also tried three different Fender amps. They recommended a $400 Blues-something or other, but there were other less expensive Fender amps with lots of dials and adjustments that were cool to switch around.

Wow, it's like being a kid again!!!!!
Check out the Champions unless your a tube guy, than you have the blues jr, Blues Deluxe and A bunch of others
Old 11-15-2018, 05:31 PM

You're going to buy a tele sooner than you realize .

The amp is just as important as the guitar in order to get a great tone so keep that in mind with your budget.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:12 PM

keep an eye open for black friday/cyber monday sales(i feel like a broken record as i've mentioned this a lot). get the newsletters from musician's friend, GC, elderly, sam ash, etc and when those days arrive be ready to grab a tele. you've done the best part in playing a bunch of them thru different amps. note that some feel the amp is 40% of the electric sound.

also keep an eye on the used market.

i have a 58 american vintage tele that is fantastic.

good luck!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-16-2018, 04:49 AM

Default beware the rabbit hole

Yes tele's are great. They just ooze character and can do sounds no other electric guitar can. They're very versatile actually. Better stay away from the $1000 tube amps tho because once you spend time on one, you'll have to have it. If you're going to go Fender, save yourself from buying two or three cheap ones and go straight for a Princeton or Deluxe Reverb, incredible clean tones. And then there's pedals…
Old 11-16-2018, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

I'm new to all of this. I've been playing acoustic for just short of two and never even looked at electrics, but it was sure fun yesterday. About amps; do you think the Blues Jr is a good amp? What about the little Bugera v5?

This is going to take a while. It's another whole level of things to check out and learn.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I'm new to all of this. I've been playing acoustic for just short of two and never even looked at electrics, but it was sure fun yesterday. About amps; do you think the Blues Jr is a good amp? What about the little Bugera v5?

This is going to take a while. It's another whole level of things to check out and learn.
Blues Juniors are good amps, I think it has been Fenders top selling tube amp for decades; I don’t see Bugera’s in my neck of the woods but the 5 watt model will be more friendly for home use. The 15 watt BJr is loud.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:25 AM

Just to add: the Blues Junior has two volume controls, one for preamp and one for the output power stage which allows one to hear 1) what the preamp sounds like at maximum signal and 2) the output tubes at max output* while staying at friendly room volume at home. The nearest competitor in the blackface line, the Princeton Reverb, only has one volume control so it’s less flexible and leaves the guitarist dependent on pedals for low volume use.

*EL-84 power tubes at max will be glassy and touch sensitive

Last edited by Jaden; 11-16-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:52 AM

For an amp I picked up a Roland Micro Cube. My teacher has a wide array of amps he has collected over the past 40 years. But I'm not playing out and most of them dont hit their stride until the volume level is beyond what I need in my music room. He said to try this Roland. Dont laugh, this thing rocks, has 6 models, ( I only use JC clean, Black Panel and Brit Combo, the rest are ok if you are a metal head). I can push this thing way beyond what is comfortable in a smaller size room.And it runs on six AA if you want to take it outside. Check it out.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post

And SGs. And Strats.

But especially SGs.

With P90s like Pete.

Or buckers like Angus.
I love my 1974 sunburst SG with buckers I love my Gibson tribute LP with P90's.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
For an amp I picked up a Roland Micro Cube. My teacher has a wide array of amps he has collected over the past 40 years. But I'm not playing out and most of them dont hit their stride until the volume level is beyond what I need in my music room. He said to try this Roland. Dont laugh, this thing rocks, has 6 models, ( I only use JC clean, Black Panel and Brit Combo, the rest are ok if you are a metal head). I can push this thing way beyond what is comfortable in a smaller size room.And it runs on six AA if you want to take it outside. Check it out.

That Micro Cube looks like something everyone should have anyway

https://www.roland.com/global/products/micro_cube/

I think I'll try one next time I got to GC and probably take it home even if it's only for my acoustic.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:52 PM

That Micro Cube looks pretty nice. I just got the Boss Katana Mini to play electric at home. Was thinking of getting the Roland Mobile AC for acoustic as well, mainly for a T5Z.

2002 Ovation Celebrity CC057 (for sale)
2006 Taylor T5-C2 Blue Edge Burst
2006 Fender American Strat
2006 Taylor T5C-12 Ovangkol (for sale)
2007 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique
2002 TaylorStock 810 Custom
2008 R. Taylor Style 1 Sinker Redwood/Indian Rosewood

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars