The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-14-2018, 11:16 AM

Default JOSE RAMIREZ Guitar question!

Hello everyone, this is my first post here, so sorry if i am asking something in the wrong place or Thread.
I was talking with my dad on the phone few days ago and we figured out that he has a José Ramirez guitar from 1914, this was my grandmother's guitar and he was wondering how much this guitar would be worth and where are the best sites or countries to offer it. He lives in Argentina, where the guitar is, and i live in Finland.
For what i saw in the pictures, i can see that it was fixed at the head, so i guess thatīs a down, but i would appreciate if you see anything else on the pictures and your comments since i donīt know that much about this subject.
Thank you in advance!

Hereīs the link for the pictures: https://imgur.com/a/sE8QOUS
Old 11-14-2018, 11:33 AM

I would start by asking a classical guitar specialty shop what they think. In the US, these include Guitar Solo in San Francisco, Guitars International in Cleveland, and Rosewood Guitar in Seattle.

That's a beautiful instrument. Do you know what the back and sides wood is?

John R.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:29 PM

The headstock does not appear to be of a high quality. The joining of it to the neck is impressive. I propose that a competent carpenter, not a luthier, did the repair and made a replacement headstock. If accurate, it would be a difficult guitar to price.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:10 AM

About the only thing on that guitar that looks like a Ramirez is the label. The headstock is wrong. I suppose that the damage to it could have been so severe that they had to make a new one. But as Bax said it's not very well done. The repair looks odd but also looks solid so that's good. The heal also looks wrong. The bridge is not right but could have been replaced and the back and side material do not look like something a master luthier would work with.

I don't know, but that guitar looks suspect to me. I am no expert on Ramirez guitars but I've been building and repairing guitars long enough to recognize quality.

You could contact Ramirez themselves. After all these years they are still in business. It would be interesting to hear what they have to say. https://ramirezguitarshop.com/
Old 11-15-2018, 09:54 AM

Thanks to all of you for your comments!, i will contact this Ramirez shop to ask about it and i'll share here when they answer to me, if they do!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical