The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2018, 06:45 AM

Default Need to Identify this Pick

I bought my first textured picks a year or so ago. I went into store recently (a different store) told them what I was looking for. He showed me a pack of Dunlop grip max picks that have same size I bought .73 on it. However when i got home and tried to use them a few days the sound is different. The sound is a soft thud type sound. I pulled one of my old ones out I had left and my original louder crisp sound is b as ck with it. So I know they are different. The ones I have been using that I need to know who makes them to get more is red in color , has the grip texture on it and has a cursive type letter C on it. Does anyone know who makes this and what model it is?
Old 06-24-2018, 07:30 PM

Anyone have any idea on this pick I'm looking for?
Old 06-24-2018, 07:35 PM

This? https://www.zazzle.com/letter+c+guitar+picks
Old 06-24-2018, 07:46 PM

It’s a Cat Tongue pick made by Cool Picks!

I love those picks!

PS I have the purple .60mm and the red ones which are like yours the .73mm
G7th Capos
Old 06-24-2018, 07:57 PM

Absolutely. I just Google cat tongue by cool picks and you are right. Thank you. The red ones are. 73. I had gone to another store as stated above and described my pick and were sold the dunlop max grip .73. They were gray not red. But even though they same thickness the dunlop pick sounds dull compared to cat tongue which sounds loud and crisp and clear. Thank you for your help
Old 06-24-2018, 08:30 PM

There have been many threads here on picks and I used to ignore them. Boring. Not.!!!

After reading one of the threads that was in reference to thicker picks, I decided to try one, as I had always used Dunlop's at .73mm.

I have graduated to a thicker pick and I am amazed by the result. I now play with a Dunlop Big Stubby at 2.0mm. It's thick, it's glassy in feel and looks and that pick gives the cleanest tone I've ever heard. I've learned a lot from the threads that discuss picks. Let me pass something along for you, OP.

In your post you used words like "soft thud." Or, Crisp and loud. These are excellent observations on your part. When a pick is used, that pick will actually create a sound when it strikes the strings. Remember...thud. Loud. Crisp. You want to eliminate that sound so that you hear the acoustics of your guitar. The sound of the pick is unwanted. So...

When you choose a hard, thick glass-like pick, you are eliminating the sound of the pick striking the string. And you are left with the pure acoustics of the guitar and the strings.

I made the change about 3 months ago and it took me maybe 3 days to get used to it, maybe less. That said, I loved the pick right from the get-go. As I said, I play a pick that is 2.0mm. Some here use a pick that is 5mm.!!!! Ya. Go figure, right.?? Well, there's a reason for it and I've described it here as best as I can. Maybe others will chime in.

So OP... Spend 4 or 5 bucks and experiment with different picks and specifically, go thick and glassy. Amazing results. See for yourself....
Old 06-25-2018, 01:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
There have been many threads here on picks and I used to ignore them. Boring. Not.!!!

After reading one of the threads that was in reference to thicker picks, I decided to try one, as I had always used Dunlop's at .73mm.

I have graduated to a thicker pick and I am amazed by the result. I now play with a Dunlop Big Stubby at 2.0mm. It's thick, it's glassy in feel and looks and that pick gives the cleanest tone I've ever heard. I've learned a lot from the threads that discuss picks. Let me pass something along for you, OP.

In your post you used words like "soft thud." Or, Crisp and loud. These are excellent observations on your part. When a pick is used, that pick will actually create a sound when it strikes the strings. Remember...thud. Loud. Crisp. You want to eliminate that sound so that you hear the acoustics of your guitar. The sound of the pick is unwanted. So...

When you choose a hard, thick glass-like pick, you are eliminating the sound of the pick striking the string. And you are left with the pure acoustics of the guitar and the strings.

I made the change about 3 months ago and it took me maybe 3 days to get used to it, maybe less. That said, I loved the pick right from the get-go. As I said, I play a pick that is 2.0mm. Some here use a pick that is 5mm.!!!! Ya. Go figure, right.?? Well, there's a reason for it and I've described it here as best as I can. Maybe others will chime in.

So OP... Spend 4 or 5 bucks and experiment with different picks and specifically, go thick and glassy. Amazing results. See for yourself....
Bingo. One thing about a thicker pick.... Since it has almost zero flex, it is much more accurate and precise for leads, cross-picking, etc. It's also a lot less forgiving for imprecision, if you're used to playing a thinner pick. But sticking with it over time will help you really adapt.

good post.

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion