The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you play better or worse in front of others?
I simply can't play in front of others. 15 8.02%
I play my best when nobody else is around. 52 27.81%
I do fine if others can hear me, but not a crowd. 17 9.09%
While I have played for money, I don't enjoy performing very much. 6 3.21%
An audience or no audience makes no difference to me. 22 11.76%
I do pretty well in front of an audience. 38 20.32%
I play my best in front of an audience. 37 19.79%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2018, 10:51 PM

Default Do you play better or worse in front of an audience?

Dealing with stage fright is a common theme in a lot of music-oriented forums. What I've seen much less of, though, is how many players actually feel they do their best when there's an active, engaged audience listening.

I happen to fall into that latter category, and it's undoubtedly a large part of the reason I was able to make a living playing music as quickly as I did: I got my first musical instrument at age 20, started getting paid gigs by age 22, and started making a living at it by age 24.

For me, getting up in front of a crowd allows me to tap into the energy they all bring with them. My musicianship in front of an audience usually has a sparkle and drive to it that it lacks somewhat when it's just me practicing in an otherwise empty room.

This isn't to say I never get stage fright - sometimes I do. But I've never been paralyzed by it (although once I did drop my pick in the middle of an intricate instrumental passage when I looked up and saw David Grisman watching me!) In any event, stage fright can be useful, simply because that anxiety is nothing more than an additional form of energy that can be utilized if you know how to turn it around.

Anyway, I've written this poll and will be interested to see those results as well as any posts that might follow.

Wade Hampton Miller

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 06-24-2018 at 01:43 AM. Reason: corrected a typo
Old 06-23-2018, 11:00 PM

Wade, I do fine if others can hear me, but not a crowd.

I'm a couch picker, and that's all I'll ever be. If company comes over I'll play with confidence, but not a true audience player. I usually pick with my cousin (professional musician) at family reunions, and he's kind enough to put up with my self-taught technique and bad habits .....
Old 06-23-2018, 11:01 PM

If I looked up and saw the Dawg watching me, I would put down my guitar and walk out.

I performed a couple of times when I was young and dumb in a terrible hard rock band. Now I can't even play with other musicians or recording myself, my hands freeze up, I can't keep time at all. It's unbelievably frustrating, because I have moments when I impress myself when I know nobody is listening, and I would love to share my music with others. Life is cruel.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:13 PM

I really disliked classical performance. But improv and what I do with my duo and band? I play a lot better in the moment. Maybe because it’s real, or maybe it’s the energy of being on stage. I don’t need an audience to validate me, but I think it makes me a better musician.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 06-23-2018, 11:28 PM

Default I love a great big stage......

it's even better when you have soundmen who can make you sound good !!! I have done small bars to big bars and 5000+ seat venues, and really enjoy the chance to entertain folks with my music !!! Just something I have grown to love, it helps when you have a steady gig, like a house band for the summer or steady seasonal work that allows you to fine tune your music for the audience !!! There is almost nothing better than having a good night on stage
Old 06-23-2018, 11:40 PM

It really depends on the crowd. If they are really into the event, so am I. If they're not, I may get a little bored.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
There is almost nothing better than having a good night on stage
I agree: it's a real high. It's so empowering that I can understand why some successful musicians cope poorly with their success: it's tough to maintain that glory through every aspect of your daily life

Translation: there's nothing remotely as euphoric as a good music performance during your other waking hours, so it makes sense that some try to keep that buzz going through chemical means...

Fortunately, during my childhood I had enough exposure to my drunken uncles that I made an early vow to never follow in THOSE footsteps. So I always managed to avoid such foolishness. But many can't resist.

whm
Old 06-24-2018, 12:36 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Dealing with stage fright is a common theme in a lot of music-oriented forums. What I've seen much less of, though, is how many players actually feel they do their best when there's an active, engaged audience listening.

I happen to fall into that latter category, and it's undoubtedly a large part of the reason I was able to make a living playing music as quickly as I did: I got my first musical instrument at age 20, started getting paid gigs by age 22, and started making a living at it by age 24.

For me, getting up in front of a crowd allows me to tap into the energy they all bring with them. My musicianship in front of an audience usually has a sparkle and drive to it that it lacks somewhat when it's just me practicing in an otherwise empty room.

This isn't to say I never get stage fright - sometimes I do. But I've never been paralyzed by it (although once I did once drop my pick in the middle of an intricate instrumental passage when I looked up and saw David Grisman watching me!) In any event, stage fright can be useful, simply because that anxiety is nothing more than an additional form of energy that can be utilized if you know how to turn it around.

Anyway, I've written this poll and will be interested to see those results as well as any posts that might follow.

Wade Hampton Miller

Unless I'm trying to work out new material, I always prefer to have an audience, (meaning one, or more people, in a state of anticipation) and usually play better because of having that audience...

I'm not so stuck on myself that I think everything I play, it's simply wonderful. Some nights are better than others, but those magical moments of inspired performance seem to remain infrequent, or else they wouldn't be those "magical moments", would they?

It must be great to be a performer who feels they've never "bombed out"? How does one do it, Wade?

Don
Old 06-24-2018, 01:21 AM

Don wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
Unless I'm trying to work out new material, I always prefer to have an audience, (meaning one, or more people, in a state of anticipation) and usually play better because of having that audience...
Same here.

Quote:
I'm not so stuck on myself that I think everything I play, it's simply wonderful. Some nights are better than others, but those magical moments of inspired performance seem to remain infrequent, or else they wouldn't be those "magical moments", would they?
Exactly.

Quote:
It must be great to be a performer who feels they've never "bombed out"? How does one do it, Wade?
Oh, I didn't say THAT! Not at all. Sorry if I gave you that impression - I think everyone fails onstage from time to time.

No, I've had times when I've had a good crowd who were enjoying themselves, yet I was unable to provide anything better than what I consider a mediocre performance, and I've had the opposite, when I've been in good voice and form and been playing my butt off only to be met with bored indifference.

Then there are the downright horrible gigs, where you kinda wonder if you're going to make it out the door with all your gear and extremities intact.

But what I was referring to in my initial post was, simply, whether folks who read this forum feel like they play better or worse when in front of an audience. In my case, I definitely play my best when in front of a crowd, because I'm able to sort of feed off the energy that they bring with them.

It sounds as though you use the crowd's energy the same way.

This is true for me whether I'm playing solo or with other musicians. Playing solo is more work, since I can't build off what the other musicians are doing and have to provide all of the energy and all of the performance myself. As I've aged, I've tended to play more in groups than solo, even though playing solo gigs are definitely the most profitable from a financial standpoint. But I do both, and enjoy both.

And, regardless, there still are times when it doesn't quite work. I'm enough of a performer that the audience usually doesn't register that I'm unhappy about anything, but I'm a fairly severe critic of my own playing, and know perfectly well when when my playing isn't up to the level where it should be.

Hope that makes more sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 06-24-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:27 AM

I chose “I do pretty well in front of an audience.” but there’s a caveat - it needs to be an audience composed mostly of strangers.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 06-24-2018, 01:35 AM

I can improvise and noodle in front of others, but when I play a recognised 'song' it often goes wrong. Mostly I only play in front of the wife, kids and cats.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstroop View Post
I chose “I do pretty well in front of an audience.” but there’s a caveat - it needs to be an audience composed mostly of strangers.
Yeah, that's a funny thing, but when you know the people you're playing for, it can be much more intimidating than when you're playing for people you don't know. I've had the same reaction.

whm
Old 06-24-2018, 04:49 AM

Two weeks ago I both organized and played at my Temple coffeehouse fundraiser. I had not played solo in front of a crowd (roughly 75 people + other musicians performing that night), so my wife suggested going to a local open mic two days prior to the coffeehouse.

I had my three songs down, had been practicing them at least 150-200 times each, but when I walked into the Starbucks that was hosting the open mic, I froze up, picked up my guitar, and walked back out and went home - raw fear.

Two days later at the Temple coffeehouse, I played my three songs in front of a large crowd of people, at least half of whom I knew. I played right after intermission and could feel the fear and anxiety building during the intermission. I blanked on some of the words of all three songs, and blew my performance. Despite encouraging words from both other musicians & the audience, it was an embarrassing and humbling experience.

I really believe some people (like me) are not designed to play in front of others. I voted "plays best with no one around".
Old 06-24-2018, 05:56 AM

Default audience

I don't ever seem to feel stage fright and have always felt comfortable in front of an audience, whether I am talking, lecturing or playing. But when playing (as opposed to singing), I find I make more mistakes. It is something I have thought about, wondering if that is the kind of stage fright that I suffer. Or maybe I think I play better when I am alone than I do.

The singing mistakes happen at home just as often (when I notice them). Sometimes it is harder to sing harmony on a gig (which I practice less as I don't do that when alone), but that has more to do with the greater difficulty in hearing the other person.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:02 AM

Been at it a long time. I’ve found I’d much rather play to 100+ people than 1 or 2.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion