The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2018, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Default D-28GE?

Just curious how well the D-28GE was and has been received? Thoughts from anyone who owns or has owned one or even played one.
Many thanks!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-23-2018, 10:24 AM
Guest 1928

Played a few, owned one since it was new. If you've played a D-28 Marquis, a GE is exactly the same but with clear, sparkling BRW tone. If you've played a D-28 Marquis Madagascar, it's about halfway between the two.

For comparison, I had three modern red spruce Martin D-28's simultaneously - HD-28LSV, D-28GE, and D-28A 1937. If picking one of those just on tone, I'd be very tempted to go with the D-28A. It was a VERY strong guitar across the spectrum, including the trebles which is where some guitars lack. I ultimately sold it because I didn't like the neck, but that's a separate issue.

Back to sound, the GE and A were pretty close in volume and presence, but you could tell the A was a bit more lightly braced. It was more lively under a lighter right hand. However, you could hear more of brilliant BRW resonance in the GE. The LSV compared favorably too, and it may be my favorite of the three because of the neck, but GE and A are more like each other compared to the LSV. I still have the LSV and GE.

Many of the D-28GE's had very pretty tops. :-)

Old 06-23-2018, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

I've tried a D-28 Authentic '37 as well Todd...but like you can't get along with that neck? Shame too as I loved the one I sampled? And would have bought it had it not been for that neck?

Old 06-23-2018, 11:18 AM

GE and Authentic necks can be a handful, I had a D-18GE and 000-18GE (both wonderful to me), and have an OM-18 Authentic '33.

I have played the D-28GE, two, and almost all the Authentic models, they have "beefy" necks that can really be a handful as you go up the fretboard. Surprisingly as I got older and arthritis increased beefier necks became more comfortable, go figure.

Personally, I can't give any slack on the nut width, has to be 1-3/4", but all my guitars have different profiles. If someone loves the tone of a GE or Authentic the neck profiles come with the territory.

I think all GEs/Authentic are a "cut above" Martins, a D-28GE is a special guitar, and IMO can run with many Authentics, whether the neck works is up to you, they sound wonderful.........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-23-2018, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Jim, I can't tell you about the D-28GE because I've never been in the same room with one. However, I did play a D-18GE, and it was the best Martin I've ever played. Loud, crystal clear, beautiful tone, and the woods were top-notch all around. Stunning guitar.

I would expect the same qualities in a D-28GE, taking into account the different woods.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Ken...I'm beginning to think that Martin mahogany is the way to go? A D-18GE is a wonderful thing for sure!

Last edited by llew; 06-23-2018 at 07:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-23-2018, 07:34 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Thanks Ken...I'm beginning to things that Martin mahogany is the way to go? A D-18GE is a wonderful thing for sure!
It's certainly not a bad way to go. Mahogany is different, and some may very well prefer it to rosewood, or the other way around. There are less expensive rosewoods than BRW, but none sound quite the same. The question is what do you prefer and how much? A D-18GE can purchased on the used market for less than $2,500. A D-28GE costs three times that. It's different for sure, but not three times better...and I've owned both. Then again, there are many examples where increased performance is disproportionate to price, and not just in guitars.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

I agree Todd. Lately I've run through several EIR models (mostly 28) and the new "reimagined" standard series leaves me at a loss. Wish I could get my old HD-28V MFG custom 1 3/4" nut Adirondack back? Or an old MFG HD-28 Adirondack VTS that I foolishly sold? The writing is on the wall. The newer Martin's have left me wanting more? I'm sure I'm probably the minority. Just requires patience. Not my long suit but maybe I can improve?

Old 06-23-2018, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
GE and Authentic necks can be a handful, I had a D-18GE and 000-18GE (both wonderful to me), and have an OM-18 Authentic '33.

I have played the D-28GE, two, and almost all the Authentic models, they have "beefy" necks that can really be a handful as you go up the fretboard. Surprisingly as I got older and arthritis increased beefier necks became more comfortable, go figure.

Personally, I can't give any slack on the nut width, has to be 1-3/4", but all my guitars have different profiles. If someone loves the tone of a GE or Authentic the neck profiles come with the territory.

I think all GEs/Authentic are a "cut above" Martins, a D-28GE is a special guitar, and IMO can run with many Authentics, whether the neck works is up to you, they sound wonderful.........
No argument from me Rich? That "heel & barrel" neck is a deal breaker for me though. Wish it wasn't?

Old 06-23-2018, 07:53 PM

A D-28A 1941 doesn't have the heavy neck issue like the D-28A 1937 but still has the big sound. I like my other guitars, but that A is the one I reach for the most.

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic
Old 06-23-2018, 10:39 PM

Owned one for years. Tried so hard to love it, but could not.
The pros: Great tone.
The cons: for my hands, Too THICK of neck and too wide saddle spacing.
Low quality back & side wood. Top cracked despite humidity control.
Headstock finish developed bubbles. Neck developed a creaking sound.
Poor intonation. Case bled / burned into the finish & had to be replaced under warranty.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor007 View Post
Owned one for years. Tried so hard to love it, but could not.
The pros: Great tone.
The cons: for my hands, Too THICK of neck and too wide saddle spacing.
Low quality back & side wood. Top cracked despite humidity control.
Headstock finish developed bubbles. Neck developed a creaking sound.
Poor intonation. Case bled / burned into the finish & had to be replaced under warranty.
I hear you...that's what happened to my original HD-28V Adirondack custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion