The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2018, 08:33 PM

I would have to vote for my 710 LTD. I haven't played a huge selection of the Taylor -16's and -18's .. but I have played a more than a few dreads, and I think they're underrated . I would highly, highly recommend a 710e or 810e. If you're willing to go 3-5 years old, you can get them for much, much cheaper than new.

Good luck! I would also recommend the 516 LTD that someone has in the classifieds (just saw they just posted on this thread, too!) - it seems like it would be a fantastic strummer.

Also, THIS: https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/320e I want one of these for myself now! (although, I stick by my prior statement, if you're patient and you buy used, for the same price as one of these 320e's, you could get into a 700 or 800 series)

I can just tell by looking at it, that guitar would sound excellent, though!! Good luck and let us know what ya think
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 06-22-2018, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToeify View Post
The 810 is top of my list right now. I own a spruce/hog OM so I want something a bit bigger and fuller sounding. Why not the V bracing?
I recently played a 2016 810. It was one of the best Taylor’s I have played. It had the volume as well as responded well to a lighter touch. It was warm with loads of harmonic content. And, the playability was spot on. According to the owner it was set up that way write out of the box.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-22-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
My 1996 510. It's a cannon. Light as a potato chip and probably the loudest guitar I've ever played in my 33 years of playing guitars.
Does it have a slotted headstock. I've noticed the 510's have one. I'm not sure I like that on a dread. I don't understand why they didn't just use the standard headstock like you find on the 810 or any normal dread?? I like the 510 for the spruce/hog combo. Was looking hard at that one.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
I would have to vote for my 710 LTD. I haven't played a huge selection of the Taylor -16's and -18's .. but I have played a more than a few dreads, and I think they're underrated . I would highly, highly recommend a 710e or 810e. If you're willing to go 3-5 years old, you can get them for much, much cheaper than new.

Good luck! I would also recommend the 516 LTD that someone has in the classifieds (just saw they just posted on this thread, too!) - it seems like it would be a fantastic strummer.

Also, THIS: https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/320e I want one of these for myself now! (although, I stick by my prior statement, if you're patient and you buy used, for the same price as one of these 320e's, you could get into a 700 or 800 series)

I can just tell by looking at it, that guitar would sound excellent, though!! Good luck and let us know what ya think
I have been looking hard at their dreads. Especially the 510,710,810. I already own an OM so i'm looking more at a dread or possibly one of their GS or GO. Do you know when they introduced their new revoiced upper end dreads. I know they made the top thinner as well as the finish. Wondering if its worth buying new to get the new updates or go used like you said for a huge savings?? Whats the deal with the LTD versus the standard?
Old 06-22-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I recently played a 2016 810. It was one of the best Taylor’s I have played. It had the volume as well as responded well to a lighter touch. It was warm with loads of harmonic content. And, the playability was spot on. According to the owner it was set up that way write out of the box.
Do the new 810's all have the new V-bracing? I'm head to the nearest GC to try some Taylors. LA is quite the drive from me so I need to find a place that has a big variety and see what they sound and feel like. From the YouTube demos I've heard of the 810 I loved it. I dont like on board electronics so I would order one naked. Do you think it's safe with Taylor to order and have it play consistently across the model? I've heard Taylors are like that.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I have been looking hard at their dreads. Especially the 510,710,810. I already own an OM so i'm looking more at a dread or possibly one of their GS or GO. Do you know when they introduced their new revoiced upper end dreads. I know they made the top thinner as well as the finish. Wondering if its worth buying new to get the new updates or go used like you said for a huge savings?? Whats the deal with the LTD versus the standard?
You’ll have to decide if you want new or go the used route. There are a lot of great guitars out there that are in great shape and will save you a lot (if that is one of your criteria). I posted earlier about the 516e FLTD, the difference between that one and the standard 500 series is this: Flamed mahogany back and sides (pretty rare and very beautiful ), rosewood binding on the body, neck and sound hole, special fret markers, gotoh tuners vs standard Taylor (ping) tuners, and Adirondack bracing. Also the top is European spruce vs Sitka spruce.
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 06-23-2018, 07:19 AM

the LTDs are just limited edition runs, which are basically very similar to the regular guitar, but feature upgraded woods/wood combos, appointments (like binding or inlays, etc) and stuff like that. They're typically a good deal because they don't cost much more than the regular guitars... IMO of course.

As far as the re-voicings, Andy Powers re-voiced the 800 series first, and that was in 2012 or 13, if I'm not mistaken, followed by the 600 series after that in '15 and the 700 series last. I'm pretty sure that's the order they went in. The V-class bracing, if I understand correctly, is NOT on any of the dreadnought (-10) models, only the GA (grand auditorium/ -14) models.

I think you can split the difference and do both... if you look closely, you can find a used version that is both re-voiced or upgraded how you like, and also find considerable savings. Depends what you're looking for.

Good luck and let us know what you think! I believe the Taylor dreads to be very underrated and sound great IMO.

SC
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 06-23-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Does it have a slotted headstock. I've noticed the 510's have one. I'm not sure I like that on a dread. I don't understand why they didn't just use the standard headstock like you find on the 810 or any normal dread?? I like the 510 for the spruce/hog combo. Was looking hard at that one.
No. I believe that is only the newer, short scale, models.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 06-23-2018, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do the new 810's all have the new V-bracing? I'm head to the nearest GC to try some Taylors. LA is quite the drive from me so I need to find a place that has a big variety and see what they sound and feel like. From the YouTube demos I've heard of the 810 I loved it. I dont like on board electronics so I would order one naked. Do you think it's safe with Taylor to order and have it play consistently across the model? I've heard Taylors are like that.
I am not well versed on the Taylor lineup but perhaps others can chime in about the V-bracing. The particular 810 I mentioned was exceptional. Taylor is known for there consistency, but I personally do not feel comfortable ordering a guitar if there is no option to send it back. If you custom order one with out the electronics would it be returnable? Not saying you would have to, but buying any guitar sight unseen has its risks.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-28-2018, 10:52 AM

I’m going to vote for my 618e in the latest config. Maple makes a great strummer, and the 618 has tons of bass when you need it. I just strung it with Daddario nickel/bronze 13-56 balanced tension. An excellent combination for this guitar.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:00 PM

322ce. Short scale, 14 frets, all I need.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:58 PM

Anything 14 series and above. Comfort should be considered.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:35 PM

Dn7
Wonderful guitar
Old 06-30-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
What everyone's favorite Taylor to strum and sing along to and why? I'm not a fan of cutaways so lets leave those out.
Reason I'm asking is because I went to a local shop to play a bunch of guitars and they had two Taylors. I had never given them much thought before but I thought I'd try them. Very nice sound and the neck felt amazing. Better than some of the guitars I came to play. But since they did not have a large selection of Taylors it's hard to know what some others might sound like.
I'm in the market for a nice high end acoustic and now I've thrown Taylor into the mix. I'm into classic rock, country, bluegrass, folk, singer/songwriter type of stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions

My 414CE and my DN3 are great strummers; the 414CE is my Swiss army knife but I think the DN3 (or the 310) would be a great one if you are more dedicated to strumming.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 06-30-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
What everyone's favorite Taylor to strum and sing along to and why? I'm not a fan of cutaways so lets leave those out.
Reason I'm asking is because I went to a local shop to play a bunch of guitars and they had two Taylors. I had never given them much thought before but I thought I'd try them. Very nice sound and the neck felt amazing. Better than some of the guitars I came to play. But since they did not have a large selection of Taylors it's hard to know what some others might sound like.
I'm in the market for a nice high end acoustic and now I've thrown Taylor into the mix. I'm into classic rock, country, bluegrass, folk, singer/songwriter type of stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions
Depending on your budget:
910, 810, 510, 110.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion