The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2018, 11:58 AM

Default From 214ce to Gs Mini-e Rw or 000-28 or 414ce Rw

What's better for the long run? Go to a Gs Mini-e Rw or to a 000-28 or 414ce Rw?
Old 06-17-2018, 02:05 PM

The answer depends on what you want it for. In my opinion if it is your sole guitar the 414 is the clear winner as it is full size and can do anything. The GS is a really nice guitar for traveling or a good parlor size.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 06-17-2018, 02:24 PM

Hard to answer this question without an understanding of what you are looking for or what you already have.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 06-17-2018, 02:32 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbuhl View Post
What's better for the long run? Go to a Gs Mini-e Rw or to a 000-28 or 414ce Rw?
I'm not sure how a GS mini got in that paragraph, lol.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-17-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
Hard to answer this question without an understanding of what you are looking for or what you already have.
I just want one grab and go "comfortable to play" acoustic electric guitar which I can take to gigs and jam sessions. The 214ce is laminated so it is tough. Solid would guitars would give me a better sound but are more expensive and a little more fragile. A gs mini-e rw is also laminated and tough but not too expensive.

I am just NOT bonding with 214ce. I upgraded the electronics to ES2 and that helps when plugged in. I want something with a bit of mojo. As my wife said when we discussed I just bought the 214ce without really knowing what I wanted. I know lots and lots about electric guitars but not really that much about which models are good acoustic guitars. So, I want to buy that ONE guitar which nails it for me.

Last edited by rabbuhl; 06-17-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:11 PM

Kind of an odd question but I'll bite.

Rule out the Taylor's and what are you left with.?? Ding.!! Ding.!!! Ding.!!!! Winner.!!!

Since when does a Taylor mini or even a 414 fit in the same sentence as a Martin 28.?? In my head they are miles apart. Apples to Choke Cherries...
Old 06-17-2018, 03:42 PM

The only bummer for me with the Martin 000-28 is that it does not come with built-in electronics. BTW, is the 000-28 2018 the better one to get? Should I also consider the 000-18 and 000-18E?
Old 06-17-2018, 04:05 PM

Although the ES-2 system is pretty good, there are several after-market systems for Martins & others that are just as good, if not better. Of course that costs money, so you have to look at the overall price.

I have a GS-Mini RW-e and love it for its price point, but you can get a better sounding small guitar by spending a bit more. If you want something tough, small & easy to travel with that sounds very good (but not great IMO) and is relatively inexpensive, then by all means go for a Mini-e.
1999 CFox 'Frisco' concert w/ Trance Amulet MV
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 06-17-2018, 04:23 PM

You’ve mentioned “bonding” & “mojo” & have listed some fairly disparate guitars. I’d definitely suggest planning an outting or two to discover where you are with respect to body size (D, OM, GC, 00) and where your preference lies with respect to tone (Martin, Taylor or somewhere in between). The suggestions here may be interesting but it sounds like you need to narrow the scope some for a start. If it were me, I wouldn’t worry about pickups ... find something that fits you and sounds great. If that particular instrument has a pickup that works well, great. If not, there are lots of great options that can be installed with relatively little fuss. Just my 1 3/4 cents.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:52 PM

I got to play one of these locally the other day. A little more expensive than the standard 414, but this one was one of the best Taylors I've played. It hung in there next to an 814ceDLX ($4000) and walked all over the 814ceDLX(v-brace). Significantly better sounding to me than the standard 414ceRW. Also more gorgeous in person than in the photos.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor/...tric-Guitar.gc
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-18-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
You’ve mentioned “bonding” & “mojo” & have listed some fairly disparate guitars. I’d definitely suggest planning an outting or two to discover where you are with respect to body size (D, OM, GC, 00) and where your preference lies with respect to tone (Martin, Taylor or somewhere in between). The suggestions here may be interesting but it sounds like you need to narrow the scope some for a start. If it were me, I wouldn’t worry about pickups ... find something that fits you and sounds great. If that particular instrument has a pickup that works well, great. If not, there are lots of great options that can be installed with relatively little fuss. Just my 1 3/4 cents.
I called a local store. There are some Taylor's, Martin's, and Eastmans waiting to be tried out.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbuhl View Post
I called a local store. There are some Taylor's, Martin's, and Eastmans waiting to be tried out.
Good choice ... have fun ... that’s what it’s all about!
Old 06-18-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I got to play one of these locally the other day. A little more expensive than the standard 414, but this one was one of the best Taylors I've played. It hung in there next to an 814ceDLX ($4000) and walked all over the 814ceDLX(v-brace). Significantly better sounding to me than the standard 414ceRW. Also more gorgeous in person than in the photos.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor/...tric-Guitar.gc
The Special Edition looks nice. The 414ce RW is quite similar.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:02 PM

I went to a store in Amsterdam. A lady there helped me try to out a lot of acoustic guitars. I tried these guitars:

- Taylor GS e-mini
- Taylor 414CE Rosewood
- Taylor 814CE
- Martin 000-18
- Martin Dreadnought Junior
- Martin DRS-G dreadnought (not 100% sure - it was a road series dreadnought)
- Martin OM-28
- Eastman E100-LTD
- Taylor GS e-mini KOA

Taylor: the GS minis are always nice. I was not moved by 414ce and 814ce.
Martin: the OM-28 was great and so was the road series)
Eastman: the E100 is a 12-fret. They had just sold the 14-fret. I did not try one of the AC series like 222ce, 322ce, etc.

I need to think about if the GS e-mini is enough. I like the solid body guitars but for jam sessions they might be more fragile than my 214ce. The Martin guitars are nice and an 000-28 or OM-28 would be nice but expensive. I did like the road series since they are solid body and come with electronics. Also, I will check out the Fishman Aura Spectrum DI.

Last edited by rabbuhl; 06-20-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:11 PM

I've battled this scenario before, however I was considering a GS mini vs a 000 road series. I couldn't stomach $600+ for a travel size guitar, so I ended up with the 000. The 000 didn't stick around long, but it helped spark a love for 000 size guitars.

I still want a GS Mini, but only if the price is right. What is right? I don't know yet because I still pass on some Minis for $400 that just weren't good looking specimens. I just don't have the use for a travel sized guitar.

So, I doubt that helped, but go with a full sized guitar unless you actually do some traveling.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion