The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
I'm a fan of the D'Addario NB. They certainly last longer, and they have just a bit less finger drag and squeak than regular bronze strings.
I agree.........
Old 05-30-2018, 08:09 AM

Default +1 D'Addario Nickel Bronze

When I got my Blueridge Dreadnought 2 years ago I spent close to a year in search of the "perfect" strings. Most sounded good (a couple horrible) but kept trying until I found the D'Addario Nickel Bronze. I've tried different gauges but settled on the .0135-.056. Balanced Tension. I often tune them down a 1/2 step (sometimes a whole step) but they sound great anywhere! I finally installed a K & K mini which works well keeping that "acoustic sound" Also I don't change strings as often because the sound stays consistent!

Otto
Old 05-30-2018, 08:31 AM

I've tried both Monels and the D'Addario NBs. I liked the Nickel Bronze strings just fine, but like the Monels more. That seems to be a trend here...
Old 05-30-2018, 10:53 AM

I see that does seem to be the trend. My personal opinion, as much as I love Martin guitars, just not as impressed with their strings. @jfitz81
Old 05-30-2018, 11:22 AM

Default Nickle bronzeI

I have tried both Martin retro's and D'arrdario nickle bronze on my Yamaha LL16 rosewood. and I prefer the D'arrdario nickle bronze,bluegrass gauge.I also like the D'arrdario EJ 19s.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlm View Post
Hi all,

I am considering trying out D’Addario Nickel Bronze strings. I play a Martin 000-15M (all solid mahogany) and currently have coated phosphor bronze strings. Any opinions from anyone who uses or have used nickel strings? I read that they are more sensitive to magnetic pick-ups, which I have an LR Baggs M1 Active installed. The thing that has me most interested is that they are supposed to bring out the natural sound of the guitar.

Thanks!
well sam, the word 'Nickel' has got a lot of people reachin for their wallets.
So why wouldn't a B-I-G string manufacturer conjure up a string that takes advantage of the very vintage very retro Nickle bandwagon.
To bee quite blunt, D’Addario Nickel Bronze ARE
(from the Fretboard Journal's 'Nickle' string Review) -
"D’Addario’s Nickel Bronze strings are their “premium uncoated acoustic strings,” nickel-plated bronze wrapped around a “high carbon NY steel” core."
Ya get that ? "nickel-plated bronze wrap"
So they have a microns thin 'coating' of Nickel plating on the main wrap material - Bronze - that's what ya'll hear - not Nickel which will comprise a minute % of the wound strings mass.
Anyone enticed by 'Nickel' do read the Fretboard Journal's review which misidentify some of the hype.
https://www.fretboardjournal.com/col...uitar-strings/

an extract -
"D’Addario’s Nickel Bronze strings are their “premium uncoated acoustic strings,” nickel-plated bronze wrapped around a “high carbon NY steel” core. Martin’s Monel strings constitute their “Retro” line, and are a solid nickel-copper alloy wrap around a tin-plated steel core. The Newtone Nickel Master Class strings are nickel-plated steel hand-wound around a round nickel-plated steel core; Newtone is light on hype but the packaging mentions that the strings are well-suited to folks with highly acidic perspiration. John Pearse plays it even closer to the vest, leaving us to assume that the “Pure Nickel” part of the name indicates that the strings are pure nickel."x
Old 05-30-2018, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Anyone tried the John Pearse Pure Nickel's?

I've got them on a couple of D-18's, and so far, I'm liking them. Seem to have just touch more clarity (or openness, zing, brightness, or what ever). Maybe not quite as muted as the Martin Retros.

Bottom end seems to be touch more defined.

D
Old 05-30-2018, 02:27 PM

I can’t believe that everyone doesn’t agree on a single string model and brand
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-30-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
Anyone tried the John Pearse Pure Nickel's?
I have the JP 960L Pure Nickel strings on my carbon fiber Blackbird Lucky 13 right now. All I can say is yuk!!

My reaction was immediate and has not changed since. They make a guitar that previously had good sound seem like a cheap plastic toy, and the only reason they are still on there is my lack of free time lately to change them. That guitar has worn GHS White Bronze (52% nickel) strings before plus a few other types, and sounded quite good. On the plus side, the Pure Nickel 960L set has maintained their "sound" quite well over several weeks, and show no signs of corrosion or deadness. Carbon fiber guitars seem to be particularly sensitive to string type, much more so than wood guitars in my experience.

This is a lesson that not just any string is good for all guitars. I have another identical Pure Nickel set from that order and will put them on a Taylor GA at its next string change and see what happens. I'm hoping for better results. Normally my go-to strings are D'Addario EJ-16 or EJ-17 PB's, or Elixir Nanoweb PB's, or the aforementioned GHS White Bronze.

I have nothing against JP strings in general, and have successfully used their other string types. This was just a case of a string very strongly disagreeing with the guitar in question - an experiment that failed. YMMV, and probably will. And just to be perfectly clear - I'm not bashing John Pearse strings across the board.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:44 PM

Tried D'Addario NB's 12-string set for the 1st time on my Guild F-412 yesterday.
Very, very good on this guitar.
I see Martin Retro Monels are also available in a 12-string set too and if I had a mahogany 12-string guitar I wouldn't hesitate to try them.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-30-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I can’t believe that everyone doesn’t agree on a single string model and brand
Haha! But the beautiful thing is, that’s absolutely okay
Old 05-30-2018, 04:03 PM

Brucebubs, have you ever tried the GHS White Bronze strings on your twelve string? I only recently learned of that set, and plan to order a couple for my twelver. I've used White Bronze as long-life strings since long before coated strings were on the market.

http://www.ghsstrings.com/products/1...white-bronzetm
https://www.stringsbymail.com/ghs-wh...-48-18446.html
http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-wb-12l.html
Old 05-30-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
well sam, the word 'Nickel' has got a lot of people reachin for their wallets.
So why wouldn't a B-I-G string manufacturer conjure up a string that takes advantage of the very vintage very retro Nickle bandwagon.
To bee quite blunt, D’Addario Nickel Bronze ARE
(from the Fretboard Journal's 'Nickle' string Review) -
"D’Addario’s Nickel Bronze strings are their “premium uncoated acoustic strings,” nickel-plated bronze wrapped around a “high carbon NY steel” core."
Ya get that ? "nickel-plated bronze wrap"
So they have a microns thin 'coating' of Nickel plating on the main wrap material - Bronze - that's what ya'll hear - not Nickel which will comprise a minute % of the wound strings mass.
Anyone enticed by 'Nickel' do read the Fretboard Journal's review which misidentify some of the hype.
https://www.fretboardjournal.com/col...uitar-strings/

an extract -
"D’Addario’s Nickel Bronze strings are their “premium uncoated acoustic strings,” nickel-plated bronze wrapped around a “high carbon NY steel” core. Martin’s Monel strings constitute their “Retro” line, and are a solid nickel-copper alloy wrap around a tin-plated steel core. The Newtone Nickel Master Class strings are nickel-plated steel hand-wound around a round nickel-plated steel core; Newtone is light on hype but the packaging mentions that the strings are well-suited to folks with highly acidic perspiration. John Pearse plays it even closer to the vest, leaving us to assume that the “Pure Nickel” part of the name indicates that the strings are pure nickel."x
Very informative and objective read. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-30-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Brucebubs, have you ever tried the GHS White Bronze strings on your twelve string? I only recently learned of that set, and plan to order a couple for my twelver. I've used White Bronze as long-life strings since long before coated strings were on the market.

http://www.ghsstrings.com/products/1...white-bronzetm
https://www.stringsbymail.com/ghs-wh...-48-18446.html
http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-wb-12l.html
Thanks Earl49, I'll make a note to give them a try.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-30-2018, 04:12 PM

I like the tone that I get from Martin Retro strings.
I have tried them on several guitars including my Resonator.
The only guitar that I didn't like the Retro strings on is my Guild D-55. While the Retro strings were alright, Martin Lifespan strings sound better to me on the Guild.

I have not heard any improvement after the Retro strings are on the guitar for a day or so myself.
These strings last a lot longer than any other non coated/treated strings for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, bronze, guitar, nickel, strings