The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-02-2018, 04:29 AM

Default Acoustic Amp

Hi,

I have a Martin 000-15m with an LR Baggs Anthem SL installed in it. I’m using an LR Bags Para Acoustic DI.

I want a certain sound for my guitar. When I plug my rig into the PA system, sometimes it sounds good, sometimes, not. The quality will be on the hands of the engineer. And I understand that the location (indoor/outdoor) is a factor.

I’m planning to get an acoustic amp like Marshall AS50D so that I can setup my sound and just connect it to the PA system, and have it as a stage monitor as well. Will that help? Is that a good decision? Any advise?

Here’s the type of music we play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0cRtGMmd4M

Cheers!

Jules
Old 04-02-2018, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

That's what I do with my Bud amp. It works out well and is cheaper than hiring a permanent sound man :-)
Old 04-02-2018, 05:50 AM

Don't you think it will be redundant to use an amp like Marshall AS50D if I'm using a pre amp like LR Bags Para Acoustic DI? Or should I have a speaker monitor instead?
Old 04-02-2018, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesrsuarez View Post
Don't you think it will be redundant to use an amp like Marshall AS50D if I'm using a pre amp like LR Bags Para Acoustic DI? Or should I have a speaker monitor instead?
Perhaps. But you would need a powered monitor.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

If you get a good acoustic amp you should have plenty of control over your guitar tone and can ditch the preamp. I have a Para DI also that I use when I'm going straight into a PA, but I don't use it before my amp because it isn't necessary. I also will use my acoustic amp for my guitar and vocals and then tine out of it into the house PA. This gives me the ability to control my sound from the stage.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-02-2018, 08:29 AM

I would argue, at least in my case, that a preamp is necessary between my guitar and acoustic amp. I have, what I consider to be, and others do as well, a good amp in the Ultrasound DS4. However, without running it through my PARA DI, I can't get the sound I like without the EQ from the PARA. You can certainly get by without a preamp and just using an amp, but I think you have more tone-shaping options using a preamp before the amp.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:51 AM

Yes, I think I will be needing an acoustic amp. That would be a great monitor as well.

I'm thinking of buying any of these:
Marshall AS50D
Fishman Loudbox Artist PRO-LBX-600
Roland AC-60 RW
Old 04-03-2018, 02:48 AM

Hi Jules,
I don’t Have experience with the points of your question but I have to comment on your video. You guys sound great!
Old 04-03-2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Hi Jules,
I don’t Have experience with the points of your question but I have to comment on your video. You guys sound great!
Thanks, Marty C! I appreciate it!
Old 04-03-2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I have to comment on your video. You guys sound great!
Very nice indeed....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-03-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Very nice indeed....
Thanks, Murphy! Bonus to have all your appreciation for our music
Old 04-03-2018, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Jules,

Yes, using an acoustic amp WITH the PARA DI as your stage monitor and then sending that signal to FOH is a great way to go. Try to get an acoustic amp that has two outputs, one with the amp signal and another dry signal in case you play someplace with a good FOH soundman that prefers to have more control over your tone (and does it well).

I only have experience with the Fishman Loudbox Artist and can confirm it's a great choice in amps. Acoustic amps all have a little bit different sounds to them so your best bet would be to go someplace and try them out against each other. Some are more transparent (more like a half PA) and some color the tone a bit. Some are more conducive to guitar, some vocals.

You don't mention if you plan to run the vocals through the acoustic amp as well. A small PA-type system like a line array with a small mixer might be another way to go. That's what we ended up doing. There are now several nice options in the line array category or you could go the powered speaker route like a QSC k8.2 with a small mixer.

I think running an amp or mixer with your PARA is a good idea. I like having multiple places to tweak tone. On our current setup I use the PARA to do the lion's share of EQ'ing with the mixer and powered speaker (Bose S1 Pro) set to flat. The I tweak the mixer EQ a bit more and then last the Bose get's a final tweak but doesn't need much by the time you get to that.

I know there are online dealers like SoundPure that allow you to 'audition' gear like amplifiers. So they will send you an amp, you try it out, if you like it you keep it, if not send it back for a refund or have them send you another one. Could be a little time consuming but sometimes finding a store that has several options to audition in real time can be tough.

Plus it's always nice to have it your home for some time to really run your gear through it and have a few days instead of a few hours to try it out. You could always do the same on Amazon. You've got 45 days to return stuff and with Prime shipping you'll have it in two days. I audition gear from them all the time.

There is no shortage in acoustic amps. I assume you want something small and light but with a fair amount of inputs, outputs and EQ/effects options. Still a ton of things to choose from but since you 'have a sound in your head' only you will know when you hear it.

Love the video, btw. Very pretty song and great harmonization.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Jules,

Yes, using an acoustic amp WITH the PARA DI as your stage monitor and then sending that signal to FOH is a great way to go. Try to get an acoustic amp that has two outputs, one with the amp signal and another dry signal in case you play someplace with a good FOH soundman that prefers to have more control over your tone (and does it well).

I only have experience with the Fishman Loudbox Artist and can confirm it's a great choice in amps. Acoustic amps all have a little bit different sounds to them so your best bet would be to go someplace and try them out against each other. Some are more transparent (more like a half PA) and some color the tone a bit. Some are more conducive to guitar, some vocals.

You don't mention if you plan to run the vocals through the acoustic amp as well. A small PA-type system like a line array with a small mixer might be another way to go. That's what we ended up doing. There are now several nice options in the line array category or you could go the powered speaker route like a QSC k8.2 with a small mixer.

I think running an amp or mixer with your PARA is a good idea. I like having multiple places to tweak tone. On our current setup I use the PARA to do the lion's share of EQ'ing with the mixer and powered speaker (Bose S1 Pro) set to flat. The I tweak the mixer EQ a bit more and then last the Bose get's a final tweak but doesn't need much by the time you get to that.

I know there are online dealers like SoundPure that allow you to 'audition' gear like amplifiers. So they will send you an amp, you try it out, if you like it you keep it, if not send it back for a refund or have them send you another one. Could be a little time consuming but sometimes finding a store that has several options to audition in real time can be tough.

Plus it's always nice to have it your home for some time to really run your gear through it and have a few days instead of a few hours to try it out. You could always do the same on Amazon. You've got 45 days to return stuff and with Prime shipping you'll have it in two days. I audition gear from them all the time.

There is no shortage in acoustic amps. I assume you want something small and light but with a fair amount of inputs, outputs and EQ/effects options. Still a ton of things to choose from but since you 'have a sound in your head' only you will know when you hear it.

Love the video, btw. Very pretty song and great harmonization.

This is a great information and advise. Thanks, man! I'm not yet familiar with the amp and dry signal that you're talking about but will definitely learn this. What do you think of Fishman Loudbox Mini Amplifier? Do you think it will have those signals? It's much cheaper and lighter.

Thank for checking the video! Really appreciate it!
Old 04-03-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is a great information and advise. Thanks, man! I'm not yet familiar with the amp and dry signal that you're talking about but will definitely learn this. What do you think of Fishman Loudbox Mini Amplifier? Do you think it will have those signals? It's much cheaper and lighter.

Thank for checking the video! Really appreciate it!
The difference in signals coming out of the back of the amp is whether or not any EQ or effects as applied from the amp are included in the signal. A signal devoid of any of the amps EQ or effects is called a 'dry' signal. On the Fishman Loudbox Artist it's called 'pre-EQ'.

I have owned both the Mini and the Artist and both are fine amps. If you can afford it definitely go with the Artist. The extra power and features are well worth the added expense. When I went from the Mini to the Artist it was primarily for the added phantom power. Look for one used as they can usually be found for a good price. I forget what I sold mine for but it was probably at just under $300.

If you look at both amps on Amazon and click on the photos of the back of both amps and magnify them you will see that the Mini just has one DI out called a 'Mix D.I. Output'. This means that the signals of both channels are mixed in the output. While it doesn't say it, I assume it also contains the whatever EQ and effects you have applied to the front.

Conversely, on the back of the Artist you will see that there is a 'Mix Output D.I. Out (post EQ)' and then two more for each channel that are 'D.I. Out (pre-EQ)'. So with the Artist you can choose to send the mix (both) channel D.I. out to a PA with whatever EQ and effects that you have dialed or you can send each channel individually out to the front of house PA with NO effects or EQ of any kind and instead allow the soundman there decide what to apply for EQ and effects, the assumption being that he knows his system/venue best and can apply what is needed for the best tone. Good sound techs also prefer this as it allows them individual control over both channels (vocals and mic) as opposed to just a single control of both.

So for something like an open mic with a PA where you just plug and go you would best be served to run the mixed DI out to the PA. But on a more formal gig where you have a really good soundman and time to do a good sound check then the dry signal individual D.I.'s would be the better way to go.

By the way, streaming your EP on Napster. Really nice stuff. I liked them all. Probably liked Slumber the best.

Last edited by Methos1979; 04-03-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I have a Martin 000-15m with an LR Baggs Anthem SL installed in it. I’m using an LR Bags Para Acoustic DI.

I want a certain sound for my guitar. When I plug my rig into the PA system, sometimes it sounds good, sometimes, not. The quality will be on the hands of the engineer. And I understand that the location (indoor/outdoor) is a factor.

I’m planning to get an acoustic amp like Marshall AS50D so that I can setup my sound and just connect it to the PA system, and have it as a stage monitor as well. Will that help? Is that a good decision? Any advise?

Here’s the type of music we play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0cRtGMmd4M

Cheers!

Jules
It might be foolish for me to suggest what sort of amp you need. All I will say is that I have an AS50D among other amps in my lineup. The AS50D is one of my two favorites.

But the real reason for me responding to your post is to mention what very nice voices you both have and how they compliment each other. Very nice and refreshing to hear such nice, clear, melodic, on pitch voices.

Last edited by Nailpicker; 04-03-2018 at 05:50 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, amp, martin 000-15m, pa system, preamp