The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 11:37 AM

Congratulations Ruppster, you did a great job! This comment alone should make you very pleased: "Rupp was a fine-aged bourbon to perfectly suit the mood for a Saturday night spent at Dave’s". Can't get much better than that.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:55 AM

Let me try to summarize that article in one sentence: It was nothing spectacular, just perfect.

Not all critics are created equal.

cotten
Old 03-08-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
“Unlike some other music writers I have read, like Lester Bangs, or Peter Guralnick, Leah Worley was not particularly astounding. She did not have a unique style or perspective to be showcased or drooled over. Her writing did not make any particular impression or demand to be seen in wider publication. I doubt she would make it to the big leagues, and these factors do kind take away from the quality of the criticism.”
Thank you for this!

By the way, Ruppster, that review would entice me to go enjoy the atmosphere you created. Great job!
Old 03-08-2018, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the observations folks. I really don't feel any animosity toward the writer. She is young and just finding her writing voice. Glad there are still some young people interested in journalism. I did find the piece funny and my immediate and musical families are giving me lots of good natured ribbing.

I am forming a new band though...Captain Khaki and the Shades of Beige. I am envisioning something in same vein as Bread but not quite so heavy....

Anyone interested?
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 03-08-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
Thanks for the observations folks. I really don't feel any animosity toward the writer. She is young and just finding her writing voice. Glad there are still some young people interested in journalism. I did find the piece funny and my immediate and musical families are giving me lots of good natured ribbing.

I am forming a new band though...Captain Khaki and the Shades of Beige. I am envisioning something in same vein as Bread but not quite so heavy....

Anyone interested?
That's the right attitude.

And hey, she did provide you with a great pull quote for your future publicity releases:

Critics say: "NOT PARTICULARLY ASTOUNDING"!!!
Old 03-08-2018, 04:52 PM

If you play at any establishments on Fridays and Saturdays after a baseball or football game I’d definitely like to give you a listen sometime. I always go and find something local in Starkville that’s good to eat and drink after games.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

I think there were some positive takeaways from the article as well as some points to consider On how to transcend some of the pleasantly stated negatives.

How does one become bigger then life. Hard to do In A cover gig unless you radically change the vibe of the songs and make them your own
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-08-2018, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
Did we read the same article?? I found it amusing because of how lame she found my music. I say that with no malice toward her, my teenage daughters thought it was pretty funny.
So I can see how the beginning might have felt critical. But that was more her premise. I got the sense it was a very complimentary review.

My take-away was that the performance isn't going to be a pop-radio superstar but it wasn't supposed to be.

she wrote:

Quote:
everything you would want to hear in the moment.

just play wholesome, good music to set the vibe.

soak in warm acoustic bliss

When those moments come, Rupp is one to listen to.

So, in this moment her review is one, away from the clamoring for superstardom and you need to soak in the moment of positivity.

Look up the Danish phrase hygge

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-08-2018, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

As someone who covered the local music scene for a real newspaper, I got the same impression as you did, Rupp. Her writing is extremely poor and her article would not have been printed in our paper. But it's a college paper and she's likely just a college kid that's doing it for fun or extra credit.

She was attempting to thread the needle at saying basically that you are okay for people that really don't have any musical taste (like herself) but since she was assigned this piece against her will and still had to get the article in she'll deliver just enough backhanded compliments while ensuring her readership (a bunch of other like-minded kids) that she's cool and likes cool music.

Btw - never heard of any of those bands she mentioned. Like someone else stated, this write up would be exactly what someone would write about my wife's and my acoustic duo and it would be accurate. I'm glad you were not offended and found it funny. But I know what you were feeling!

Just remember, those of us that grew up in the '70s got to see all the really good bands!
Old 03-08-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
If you play at any establishments on Fridays and Saturdays after a baseball or football game I’d definitely like to give you a listen sometime. I always go and find something local in Starkville that’s good to eat and drink after games.

I do, if you are familiar with Starkville I play regularly at the Veranda, the Grill and Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern. Three very different venues. Message me if you’re in town. If I am not gigging I can give you some recommendations.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 03-08-2018, 10:28 PM

I am changing my stage name to Captain Khaki.

I thought it was a decent review. She didn't come right out and say she didn't like it, just that you were different from the other bands she mentioned.

And a fine aged bourbon and warm acoustic bliss does sound pretty complimentary.

The alternative being rotgut young whisky and cold electric anxiety (how's that for a band name?).
Old 03-09-2018, 12:18 PM

Her review intrigued me and I’d definitely go see a band that got written up this way. I thought it was positive, especially on the quality of musicianship.
I disagree with a comment above that it’s poorly written. This is a college-age writer who is trying to establish her own voice, and she’s not following the usual path of cliches and abused adjectives. Her metaphors are a bit “I want to appear grizzled and wise” but that’s ok. Give her some credit for trying to capture the mood in her own way.
As someone else said, you weren’t “astounding” like all the other performers the reviewer recently saw...just perfect for the audience and the moment.
Is there anything better?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion