The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-25-2018, 01:25 PM

Default iRig Acoustic....any thoughts?

I'm looking at a simpler way to record acoustic that still sounds decent. Does anyone have any experience with the iRig Acoustic? Does it sound decent?

My main issue is that I suck at mic placement and things get boomy.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:12 PM

Default iRig Acoustic Stage

I have an iRig Acoustic stage and am very happy with it. If your using it be sure to calibrate it to your guitar. They tell you how to do this in the instructions and on their website. After calibrating the unit it really gives an accurate reproduction of your guitar. The only fault with the unit is that the microphone will only clip onto tops of a certain thickness range. It fits my D-28, but you have to put it on in an area where it does not run into a top brace on the guitar. I place mine in the 4:00 position if your looking at my guitar when it is on my lap.
When I perform on stage people are always telling me that the guitar sounds great coming through the house PA system. The pickup will not fit on my vintage Gibson Southern Jumbo because the top is to thick. You can buy the iRig Acoustic Stage on sale for about $70.00.
I have a Sunrise pickup and an LR Baggs Para DI, but I think the iRig acoustic stage sounds more natural.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:41 AM

I have an iRig mobile mic (the one that attaches to the guitar and plugs into a mini jack) I haven’t had much success with it and now don’t use it. I found the sound disappointing when recorded and ending up replacing it with a Zoom portable device and some external mics which give me a much better (and more adjustable) sound.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 04-26-2018, 07:21 AM

I agree the iRig Acoustic Stage gives a good performance for the price. My experience has been that it performs a bit differently with each guitar. As IK points out in their online documentation, some instruments benefit from the calibration process, others don’t - mainly smaller body guitars. I get the best results running into a LR Baggs Venue for some eq tweaking.
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...
Old 04-26-2018, 08:06 AM

I've done some recording with the iRig Acoustic Stage. You have to be careful with the level control because hard strumming will be compressed or limited if the volume control gets too high. (Half way is safe.)

The IAS isn't as good as using a good external mic, but it picks up less vocal bleed when recording guitar & voice together. ToneDexter is my preferred choice for the guitar signal when recording guitar & voice, but its hard to beat the IAS in the value department. It works pretty well for $100.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification