The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
Congrats on getting that Ami for such a killer deal! The local used guitar shop has an old one and they are asking three times as much as you paid for yours. I had one about ten years ago. They are cool little guitars.
Strummed and picked at her this morning. Cedar top is fantastic.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 06-20-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
The Cordoba Mini M is a wonderful little guitar for travel. It's a nylon string, but is just the perfect size and has great tone.
hey BoneDigger: I've been considering the Mini M as a backpacking guitar. 2 questions for you... 1) Do you have an accurate weight? 2) Do you ever play with a pick?

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 06-24-2018, 08:19 AM

Wow, God Bless you guys and your ability to have/afford a $1000+ travel guitar. I'm looking for something in the small sized, $300 or less range.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWalker View Post
Wow, God Bless you guys and your ability to have/afford a $1000+ travel guitar. I'm looking for something in the small sized, $300 or less range.
Come up $50-$100 and you can get a nice Taylor GS Mini. To me there's no better small guitar for the money. Regardless of what some consider "acceptable for the size", if you want a good sound, good build, great looking small guitar, to me, the Mini is the way to go.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:07 AM

Default VoyageAir VAOM-02

A number of years ago I was planning a trip to Stanfest in Nova Scotia & knew I didn't want to take either of my good guitars as we would be camping there & along the way. I had previously considered the Martin Backpacker & just couldn't do it. Sounded bad. I did get a Baby Taylor & a hard case & used that for a while. Never really warmed to the sound, though. Sold it. The search was on again.

I remembered Harvey Leach had been working on a folding guitar so I contacted him. I see travel guitars as "disposable" in a sense as they are put in some situations where harm is certainly possible. After all, that's one of the reasons we don't want to take our "good" guitars. I asked about his least expensive OM, the VAOM-02, an inexpensive, full-size, 1 3/4" nut, all-laminate, folding guitar. He had sold out of his current stock but offered his personal office VAOM-02 to me. Of course I took it!

So, I get to Stanfest & see this guy with a Voyage-air case going into one of the workshop/concerts. It's Garnett Rogers, Stan's brother.

He's got a VAOM-04 (solid top) with a K&K p'up! Sounded great! Saw him leaving so I took this shot to send to Harvey:

I don't travel as much as I used to so my VAOM-02 lives on my small sailboat, at least in the Summer months. I'm finding it harder to travel with anything other than a "good" guitar these days. I'll be leaving for a week-long conference tomorrow & I'll be taking my 00-18 in a TraveLite case. Later in the Summer I'll be traveling to a week-long songwriter's workshop in the Hudson River Valley & will be taking the 00-18 there, too. Both are car travel trips, though. Haven't flown with a guitar in a while but when I did it was with the VAOM-02 with zero problems checking overhead.

Anyway, for a real "travel" type of guitar I absolutely recommend the Voyage-air guitars. If I did it over I might get a solid-top or even one of the higher-end all solid wood versions, but having a full-sized guitar that sounds like one when you reach your destination is well worth having one.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it! :-)

Frank
Old 06-25-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Come up $50-$100 and you can get a nice Taylor GS Mini. To me there's no better small guitar for the money. Regardless of what some consider "acceptable for the size", if you want a good sound, good build, great looking small guitar, to me, the Mini is the way to go.
Yeah, I like the GS Mini Mahogany. Great sounding smaller guitar. But for a grab and toss in the car and don't worry about it guitar I'm thinking maybe a Gretsch Jim Dandy.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:45 AM

Default Travel guitar

Traveler camper cs10
Solid top
Extraordinary tone from the smallest acoustic out there
Dream to play
Had the martins , Taylor’s etc and this blows them out of the water
If you have the chance to pick this true baby up you will walk out with it 🥰
Old 08-15-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWalker View Post

I’ll put in a vote for SnapDragon https://snap-dragon-guitars.com/

What they lack in tone, they make up for in portability. If you are just looking for something to practice with, that will not disturb the neighbors (think hotel room next door) and will not break the bank, they are worth a look. Also, no one needs to know you are traveling with a guitar with their carry bag....

I have been happy with their Traxe Noir: less susceptible, although not impervious to, humidity changes.

Back when I purchased it, shipping was quick....these days, who knows!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion