The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Default * NGD - H&D 000 12 fret - Wonderful!

I recently purchased an absolutely dead mint, 2012 Huss and Dalton 000 12 fret from fellow forum member MHC (Mick).

First - I have to say that dealing with Mick was an absolute pleasure. A supremely nice guy and his description of the condition of the guitar was, if anything, understated. We are on opposite sides of the country, which in itself presents some risks. But, Mick was exceedingly gracious and made every effort to communicate by phone and email to reduce the normal "sight unseen/unknown seller" anxiety. The guitar arrived in perfect condition, as it was packed with exceptional care and caution. Lots of padding, and neck/headstock support. After I patiently waited 24 hours for it to acclimate in the box, in my house, I finally pulled it out Saturday afternoon. WOW! First, the case itself is literally brand new. Not a mark on it. I love the look of the H&D blonde tweed cases with their name imprinted on the neck of the case - and this one is perfect.

Then, I opened the case. Holy smokes - The guitar looks brand new, and smells brand new! It is in dead-mint condition. No exaggeration! Not a mark on it. I have no idea how a 3 year old guitar can look this new! (and not be a closet queen, which this wasn't. It was just meticulously taken care of). It is a beautiful guitar. And it plays and sounds incredible! Kudos and thanks to Mick!

Second - this is my first H&D. I've been anxious to try one for some time, and in my search for a short scale, 12 fret, 000 size guitar, I found this one here on the forum. It's a 2012, Sitka (some of the nicest I've ever seen), and EIR. I'm amazed at the sound, volume, power, yet sweetness that emanates from this little gem! And the fit and finish is impeccable! I've seen/played SCGC's, Goodall's, Webber's, and a few others and IMHO the H&D is as good or better than these in terms of fit/finish and build details. Soundwise, I'm not going to propose that it's better or worse than any of these other fine guitars. Sound is subjective and of course dependent on the woods, maker and your ears. All I can say is this H&D sounds so sweet, yet robust with a presence that is amazing.

I compared it directly to my Martin OM-35 (same woods: Sitka/EIR) and my Martin CEO-7 (different woods: Adi/Mahogany). I was shocked that I preferred it over my OM-35! Thats been my benchmark guitar since I bought it new from MFG several years ago.

Vs. the CEO 7 - A little harder to say. It's really not fair to compare it to the CEO-7 being completely different woods and sizes (CEO 7 is more of a 00 size), but they are certainly excellent counterparts. My wife is my "sounding board" (she's a life long musician and has a very good ear). She listened as I did my round robin playing comparisons. Her comment on the H&D: "It definitely outshines the other two in terms of it's volume and just overall presence. Very robust and strong but with nice sounding trebles. The guitar just sounds like it wants to take off and be played!" In other words, it's just begging to be played to it's full potential, with lots of headroom.

Now, I just wish my playing skills were equal to the level of this guitar! Hopefully it will inspire me to practice more and will push me to be a better player!

Here's a link to MHC's original Sale thread, with pics and sound clips (if he hasn't removed them).

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=383410

If I could only keep two guitars, it would be the H&D 000 and the CEO 7. If I could only keep one, hmmmm.....I'll have to get back to you on that!

So, count me in as another H&D fanboy!

And Thanks again to Mick (MHC)! What a great seller!
Old 05-04-2015, 05:30 AM

I get what you're saying across the board. I have a TD-R with a cooked adi top and cocobolo back and sides and I find it a perfect compromise between the guitars I love tonally. I live an hour down the road from the HD shop and have an immense amount of respect for them. Great people, great products, great company. Enjoy that sucker for years to come!

Mark
Old 05-04-2015, 05:47 AM

I am not asking what you paid for this gem, but what price range does a H&D Spruce/Mahogany 14 fret Jumbo/Dread sell for? I do not have any local music stores that deal H&D.

That is a fine looking guitar, is it all US made? Bet it sounds great, congrats!
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 05-04-2015, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

CONGRATS!!! Beautiful classic looking guitar...just the way I like 'em!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 05-04-2015, 06:04 AM

Very nice! It sure looks like somebody had fun going through the wood stacks at H&D the day they put that baby together. Beautiful wood all around! You sound happy. The guitar sounds great!
Old 05-04-2015, 07:47 AM

Congrats. I love H&D 000-12"s. They are top notch in all ways just as you described. Beautiful guitar. Enjoy.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

H&D makes superlative guitars. I have a 12-fret 00 that's also a real joy. Enjoy yours!
Old 05-04-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer55 View Post
I am not asking what you paid for this gem, but what price range does a H&D Spruce/Mahogany 14 fret Jumbo/Dread sell for? I do not have any local music stores that deal H&D.

That is a fine looking guitar, is it all US made? Bet it sounds great, congrats!
100% US made. HD is a small shop of maybe not even 10 employees in the mountains of Virginia. Buy with confidence.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer55 View Post

I can't comment on prices for an H&D as you describe. But if you do a google search you may find what you're looking for.

H&D is a small boutique guitar builder in Virginia. So yes it is most definitely all hand made in the great USA! You should peruse their web site to learn more about them. Outstanding guitars!
Old 05-04-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastman View Post

My wife is my "sounding board" (she's a life long musician and has a very good ear). She listened as I did my round robin playing comparisons. Her comment on the H&D: "It definitely outshines the other two in terms of it's volume and just overall presence. Very robust and strong but with nice sounding trebles. The guitar just sounds like it wants to take off and be played!" In other words, it's just begging to be played to it's full potential, with lots of headroom.
Congrats! I looked really, really hard at that ad myself. Thanks for removing the temptation.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:53 PM

congrats on a beautiful guitar
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 05-04-2015, 12:58 PM

Congrats -- enjoy it.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:15 PM

I was the fool who sold this guitar - but it was a case of "have to" rather than "want to." For the record, Coastman was all integrity - all the way, and that made this transaction a real pleasure. In some ways, it helps to know that one of the "good guys" ended up with this lovely guitar.

I have nothing more to add about Huss & Daltons that isn't in Coastman's post (and my sales ad) except that more people should know about this wonerful company. Like the best guitar makers out their, H&D guitars have a voice that is uniquely their own: it's sweet, articulate, and rich - with surprising power. There is magic in there.

Enjoy the H&D Mike, and thanks!
Old 05-04-2015, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the "Congrats" from everyone - and once again, a special thanks to MHC (Mick) for "giving up" this wonderful H&D 000!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000, 12 fret, h&d, huss and dalton