The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2015, 03:27 AM

Default WoodSongs QUAD 28s Martin Guitar

I just read about the new Michael Johnathon model 0000-28s Martin Guitar called the WoodSongs QUAD 28s. It is a wide neck 12 fret slot guitar with the larger 0000 body. There is an artist rendering here:

http://michaeljohnathon.com/michael-...ad-28s-guitar/

I'm guessing somewhere in the $7500 range but there is no price listed. I always found the 00 and 000 too small, so this seems like a smart option.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:25 AM
Guest 1928

Looks like the same approach as the Norman Blake models - 12 fret neck on a 14 fret body. Nothing exotic as far as woods or construction, other than the uncommon pairing of the 12 fret neck / 14 fret body. I'd think the retail would be more like $5,000.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:30 AM

Even using the same butt-ugly pickguard they used on the Blake models.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:40 AM
Guest 1928

What's wrong with the Blake guards?
Old 02-25-2015, 08:19 AM

At the risk of sounding blasphemous, I wish they offered it with a cutaway.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:40 PM

From what I read the guitar pictured was only a rendering. Not the actual guitar
Old 02-25-2015, 07:48 PM

I like WoodSongs and MJ is a good fella, but for goodness sake it seems like Martin will name a guitar after anyone these days. Can an "Ukejon" model be far off (extra short scale, all koa, picture of a Hula Girl on the headstock)?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 02-25-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
What's wrong with the Blake guards?
To me, they look too elongated and reach too close to the bridge. The shape looks out of place on the body.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:46 PM

Yep. It's the Norman Blake model idea expanded to the 0000 size instead of the 000 size.

I've played a few of the Blake models and found them "midrange-ier" than I like, but I'm sure that could be corrected with the proper playing technique and/or pick selection.

By the way, I agree with HHP that the pickguard does look a bit odd with the instrument's general geometry and configuration, but since the chances are good that I won't be rushing out to order one I don't see where it's any of my put-in. I doubt that anyone is going to cry themselves to sleep based on what I think, anyway....

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-26-2015, 07:59 AM

It will be interesting to see what the released model will sound/look like. I have always been a fan f the 000 and favor slot neck, 12 frets. The bigger body might give it more punch.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

I think this is a great model idea! I have owned several quad 0's and love the size and the sound. I also love 12 fret slotheads and have wondered myself, why Martin did not come up with this combination. But, oh me, now I will start "gasing" for one of these. I look forward to hearing from someone who has one and what they think.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:46 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
I like WoodSongs and MJ is a good fella, but for goodness sake it seems like Martin will name a guitar after anyone these days.
I suspect this is not a model marked guitar, rather a Custom Shop run with custom labels. Notice that Willcutt is the "exclusive retailer for worldwide sales". Martin doesn't do that with model marked guitars, even very limited editions. MJ's page also says, "The guitar will be marketed as the WoodSongs QUAD 28s." Note, "marketed as", so I really believe this is a custom run that Michael and Bob worked on together. I know them both, so I guess I could call one of them and ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
To me, they look too elongated and reach too close to the bridge. The shape looks out of place on the body.
That's not an uncommon complaint, but I'm not sure what would have looked better. With the bridge pushed back so far, a normal sized guard would leave a huge gap, which I think would look even worse.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

I contacted the dealer, Willcutt Guitars, and this is what I received. Pretty pricy, it seems to me. But it may be a nice guitar.

Here's basic spec for the Woodsongs Martin:

0000 body with 12 fret neck
sitka top with adi braces (golden era)
east indian rosewood back and sides
belly bridge
waverly tuners
1 3/4 nut
24.8 scale length

sale price on these will be $6999.Thanks for your interest! Take care, Eric

--
Willcutt Guitars
859-276-0675
Old 02-28-2015, 09:36 AM

I was originally told the list was $8999 so this is a LOT more attractive. Still pricey but for this model Martin I'm in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 fret, martin 0000, michael johnathon, slot neck, woodsongs