The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-14-2018, 11:26 PM

I've heard both a number of times with no desire to buy either. The Fishman definitely sounds better, the S1 is getting a lot of hype for somewhat mediocre design and sound in my opinion.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
I've heard both a number of times with no desire to buy either. The Fishman definitely sounds better, the S1 is getting a lot of hype for somewhat mediocre design and sound in my opinion.
There are certainly better sounding amps overall, but not at this size (from what I've found). Much less amps this size that sound this good. Is it the last word in acoustic amplification? Np/ But the value is in being a super small grab 'n go amp that can play on battery power. That gives me a wedding ceremony amp for outdoor events where there may be no power nearby. (Lawns, parks etc) The convenience of plug n play I can use anywhere is of value. In this regard, the LB Mini Charge sounds worthy and better (to me) than the S1 Pro.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-15-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Sorry just getting back...
The BOSE sounded thin and sterile to me. when compared to the Mini Charge. I was using a Taylor 414ce rosewood with the new Taylor ES2 system. I say this and I am a BOSE fan that really wanted to like the BOSE S1.
I would have had to use another mixer/preamp to get a nice thick tone. With the Mini Charge, it was plug and play. I have had the same luck with my LB Performer and LB Artist. I use K&K + Sunrise in a 914 and K&K and/or M80 in an 814 cocobolo LTD.
Now that is just me- others are really liking the BOSE S1. I went back twice thinking maybe I didn't give it a fair shake. Your mileage may vary.
davidc
I bought the S1 and did a comparison to my current LB Mini. For me, it was all about the guitar and the pick up. I plug my Martin D-16 with Baggs Anthem SL into either and it takes no adjustment to get this sounding good. If I plug a different Martin (100% hog with Fishman under saddle) the LB Mini sounds great but it takes lots of processing on the Bose.

I much prefer the vocal on the Bose.

So... I can process the guitar easier that my voice. I have many options to change guitar tone, but my voice ......it is what it is. I have to go with what sounds better to my voice and then process the guitar.

Best option for me..... get both. Run my guitars through the LB Mini Charge and vocal through the Bose. LB on the ground, Bose on a stand. That would sound great to my ears. I will try that option with my current equipment and just use power.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:29 AM

That will work. Guitar is so much easier with the Mini Charge. BOSE for vocals will work too with good sound dispersion. You may just want to try the MC first and then see if you need the BOSE.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I bought the S1 and did a comparison to my current LB Mini. For me, it was all about the guitar and the pick up. I plug my Martin D-16 with Baggs Anthem SL into either and it takes no adjustment to get this sounding good. If I plug a different Martin (100% hog with Fishman under saddle) the LB Mini sounds great but it takes lots of processing on the Bose.

I much prefer the vocal on the Bose.

So... I can process the guitar easier that my voice. I have many options to change guitar tone, but my voice ......it is what it is. I have to go with what sounds better to my voice and then process the guitar.

Best option for me..... get both. Run my guitars through the LB Mini Charge and vocal through the Bose. LB on the ground, Bose on a stand. That would sound great to my ears. I will try that option with my current equipment and just use power.
If I had both, and needed to bring a stand, I may as well use my Bose L1 Compact that sounds better than either the LB Mini Charge or Bose S1. But there may still be a case for the S1. Better vocal performance matters. I tried the LB Mini a couple times at gigs and its decent but just OK (for me). Dont get me wrong, its giggable and fine. But I've heard clearer vocal performance from the larger Loudbox amps and others.

PS: When I did my A-B Demo, I was using my personal Martin D-18 with LR Baggs Anthem. The Bose S1 sounded synthetic and nasal. The Loudbox Mini Charge sounded great (Acoustic guitar). I didn't try vocals that day.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-20-2018, 08:41 AM

Default Loud box is repaired.

Just got a email that my Loudbox is repaired and will be shipped soon.

A big thumbs up for Fishman service.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:59 AM

I thought I would post this as a follow up. I am still +1 for the Mini Charge. I have to say though, that the crow tastes lovely with respect to the BOSE S1. I bought one after going back and forth as we often do. Once I brought it home and plugged in my setup it sounded really good. So, my decision is to keep the S1, pick up the MC and have both.
My setup is K&K + Sunrise 914/K&K + M80 814 cocobolo into a VE8 and line out to the amps. I have been using the xVive wireless on the K&K pickups or Sunrise and it works fine - not fine on the M80 since the M80 is active.
I have been working with a wireless headset mic (Galaxy Audio and a Shure SM35) and what surprised me most about the S1 is that it allowed me to get serious volume without feedback. My Compact 60/3 squealed like mad at any volume.
As an added twist I am using a Bluetooth low latency transmitter and low latency receiver with BOSE earbuds from the headphone output on the VE8 and it actually works as a wireless IEM. The BT units are TROND units on amazon.
Happy hunting,
davidc
Old 06-21-2018, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

I've been enjoying my Mini Charge. I just received the shipping notice that my free cover/carry bag has shipped as well. My local GC and LMS don't have the S1 so I can't compare the two, but I'm quite happy with my Mini Charge at this point. Maybe in a couple of years I'll upgrade to something new, but the charge covers my bases just fine for now.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

I have had a Loud Box Mini for about 5 years - it is a fine small amp for the money. I generally use it for guitar and vocal, with a direct line out to my Bose L1C. I have to admit I haven't used the LBM by itself, other than to try it out.

The LBM crapped out on me, and I sent it in to Fishman for repair. I was initially impressed with Fishman service - they issued me a RA number right away so I could send in the power head, letting me know that any repair would be a $50 charge. Seemed fair to me. I sent the head off to them the same day. I was originally told that it would probably be on its way back to me a few days after they received it. Then, I got a form e-mail from them, 3 days after they received the head, letting me know that it would be a couple weeks being repaired.

Wanting something that gives me a bit of EQ and reverb with the L1C, I bought an S1, since the Fishman repair was going to take longer than I originally expected. I have now used the S1 with the L1C and on its own... I definitely prefer it over the LBM. As it turned out, my LBM was almost a month in getting back to me (it took 3 business days from the time I was told the repair was done until it actually shipped). The return shipping was 40% more than I paid to ship it to them, and took more than twice as long. (I believe it was sent back to me UPS-Oxen.) From send off to return was 4 weeks.

The slow service aside, my LBM sounds as good now as it did before the repair. Comparing the two side-by-side, the guitar is similar (good on both), the vocal is better on the S1. Assuming the sound of the LBM and the Charge are the same (I have not tried a Charge), if I were just now looking for something small, I would go for the S1. That said, they are close... obviously designed to be competitive units. I prefer the sound and form factor of the S1. Reading here, I see others prefer the Charge... for most, no bad choice between the two.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:35 PM

The LBM Charge appears to be $500 everywhere. Do the AGF Sponsors give AGF discounts on amps?
Old 06-21-2018, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

I think it's about the same price everywhere. If you can catch a Musician's Friend discount, that's the best option.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
The LBM Charge appears to be $500 everywhere. Do the AGF Sponsors give AGF discounts on amps?
Wait for the July 4th discounts. I was able to Sweetwater to do 15% off and it included that cool padded Fishman bag. (No tax and free shipping) Felt like I got a fair deal.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-22-2018, 10:06 AM

Default Fishman Loudbox Mini charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Not being an engineer, I don’t understand this. What is the difference between AB and D class amps when they distort?

Class A amps run full power all of the time. The power is available any time it is required. Class D amps run lower power and only produce higher power on demand. There is a time lag before the requested higher power is delivered. Based on that design Class A amps draw more power than Class D amps. Head to head Class A amps produce better sound.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 06-22-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Class A amps run full power all of the time. The power is available any time it is required. Class D amps run lower power and only produce higher power on demand. There is a time lag before the requested higher power is delivered. Based on that design Class A amps draw more power than Class D amps. Head to head Class A amps produce better sound.
Class D amplifiers have little or no perceptive delay in the circuit. Here is a good description of a Class D amplifier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

Old 07-01-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
Just got a email that my Loudbox is repaired and will be shipped soon.

A big thumbs up for Fishman service.
It arrived last week. It was not repaired but replaced with a new one. You can't get any better service than that.

New covering looks to be tougher than the old covering.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification