The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-10-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Question for those of you that feel that Martin Retro strings need a day or to to settle in.
Do you think that the strings actually change that much or does it take your ears that long to adjust to the different sound that Retro strings have?

To me, it's my ears.
When I change Nickel sets with fresh Nickel sets, the difference isn't as great as it was when I went from PB strings to Nickel strings.
I agree with you.
I have a guitar that just uses Monels now and my ears don't need that same initial break-in period when I do a string change.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-10-2018, 03:54 PM

I've been using D'Addario nickel bronze 12-53's on my Martin M-36 since I got it in January. They seem to bring out the best in this type of guitar offering increased volume, bass response and overall clarity across 6 strings. I'll try a set of EB aluminum bronze at some point soon. I hope to hear great things out of those as well.

Hearing tons of good stuff about the Monels, I put a set of mediums on my D-35. Tried to like them, but even after a couple of days the D-35 sounded like the sound hole was stuffed with old rags. Bass sounded farty, and trebles sounded subdued. Off they came and back to PB's...EB Earthwoods actually and they blew me away with how they sounded.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:59 PM

Like 'em on electric guitars. Don't like 'em on acoustic guitars. Sound kind of dead to my ears with acoustic guitars.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:26 PM

I had medium retros on my hd 28 and decided to try a set on NBs and put them on last Sunday. The guitar finally started sounding “right” to me today. I play it everyday and this a long play in period to me. When I first put the retros on right after I bought it, it sounded awesome immediately. When the NBs wear out, I may try another set of strings but, I will not be buying NBs for this guitar again.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
I had medium retros on my hd 28 and decided to try a set on NBs and put them on last Sunday. The guitar finally started sounding “right” to me today. I play it everyday and this a long play in period to me. When I first put the retros on right after I bought it, it sounded awesome immediately. When the NBs wear out, I may try another set of strings but, I will not be buying NBs for this guitar again.
Consider a set of Martin Titanium - they're like 'Monels on steroids'.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-10-2018, 04:35 PM

My experience has been that some guitars sound really good with nickel strings, others do not. I current own two guitars that I keep strung with nickel: a maple Guild jumbo and the custom 12 fret Triple O in koa and spruce that a builder in Anchorage named Bob Clark built for me.

For whatever reason, those guitars sound their best with John Pearse Pure Nickel strings on them. None of the other guitars I own sound as good with nickel, and I string them with either John Pearse phosphor bronze or 80/20 bronze.

I always try several different string alloys and often a few different gauges on every new-to-me guitar that passes into my possession. It's a good idea to do that at first so you can dial the guitar in as best you can.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-10-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Consider a set of Martin Titanium - they're like 'Monels on steroids'.
Thanks for the suggestion. It will be a while since the NBs are new but I will give them a try.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:20 PM

I've heard many positive comments on the Martin model and D'Addario NB strings. I purchased a set of both.

Personally, I still prefer phosphor bronze over nickel. I could never get accustomed to the appearance or sound of nickel.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:32 PM

I see this claim about "nickel bringing out the natural sound of the guitar" all the time, and based on my experience, it's marketing speak for "dull and lackluster."

I think nickel strings work great for certain types of guitars and music, but if you like phosphor bronze strings, you probably won't like nickels. I've tried a few brands and each one to a greater or lesser degree sounded like phosphor bronze strings when they're dead.

That said, if you use a soundhole pickup, chances are your guitar may not sound particularly "natural" to begin with when plugged in (no offense, just my observation with soundhole pickups), so the nickel strings may work great for your situation. I would just go ahead and try them out.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-11-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I see this claim about "nickel bringing out the natural sound of the guitar" all the time, and based on my experience, it's marketing speak for "dull and lackluster."
I used to think that, as well, but having experimented with nickel strings on most of my guitars now, I've come to the conclusion that while your "dull and lackluster" description is true more often than not, there are definitely exceptions.

Most of my guitars don't sound very good with nickel strings, but there were a couple that really surprised me by sounding their best. So you can't really know how any individual guitar will respond with nickel strings until you try 'em.

Quote:
I think nickel strings work great for certain types of guitars and music, but if you like phosphor bronze strings, you probably won't like nickels. I've tried a few brands and each one to a greater or lesser degree sounded like phosphor bronze strings when they're dead.
On many guitars, this is very true.

Quote:
That said, if you use a soundhole pickup, chances are your guitar may not sound particularly "natural" to begin with when plugged in (no offense, just my observation with soundhole pickups), so the nickel strings may work great for your situation. I would just go ahead and try them out.
Fair enough.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-11-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:

No offense taken, but I would agree to disagree. May be the case with a lot of sound hole pickups, but not the LR Baggs ones. At least not with this one. I have it basically sounding like it does not plugged in.

I’ve had the NB’s on for a couple of days now. I’m liking the fit with this guitar.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:05 PM

Reading through these comments, I'm going to give the D’addario NB’s a couple of weeks and see if I can like them.
Playing them right after I put them on - I wanted to take them off immediately. They sounded awful.
But, I'll give them a fair chance. Maybe my guitar will learn to like them but, at the moment (less than 24 hours), it is telling me that they taste terrible.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

I like that, "they taste terrible."

My experience is like most, great on some guitars, some not. Guild F47R hated the first Martin Retros that were released; Guild D-55 really did not care for D'Addario Nickel-Bronze. That said, my Collings D2H LOVED them, really brought out the banjo-killer instinct the guitar had, perfectly suited...unfortunately, that guitar's neck was not suited to my hand

Never tried them on my Huss & Dalton DS (she's a GHS Vintage Bronze girl), however just got an H & D "Pilgrim" and shortly after delivery it was like someone turned on the "dead" switch. Fair enough, the wall-hanger needs some strings. Really didn't like DR's, pulled them and just put some Martin "Tony Rice" on her, much better but not sure thats the voice...like others have said though, perhaps have to let them break in for a bit. H & D uses D'Addario EXP from the factory, so perhaps thats where I should be looking...
Old 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM

So by now I have tried both D’add NB and Martin Retros....and while neither were bad...Retros win. On the 000-15M, they have a more pure sound overall. I’m going to continue using Retros for now.

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback and suggestions! Been a great first thread
Old 07-20-2018, 11:40 AM

I just put a set of Curt Mangan Roundcore Monel strings on my 00-18 and really like them - I had Martin Retros on it before that and had been happy enough with them but the CM Monels seem to have better balance and volume, to my ears at least, than the Retros did.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, bronze, guitar, nickel, strings