The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Thomastik Infeld Strings

Does anyone have experience with these strings? Looking at the AC112's in general. I'm looking to test out some different strings on my new 0-15 (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=502502) and have seen these get good reviews on similar guitars. Sounds like they also have lower tension which could be good for an older guitar like this.

I pretty much always stick with D'Addario EJ16's or JP 600L's but these seem intriguing. Not sure about paying $25 per set though, so I'm curious if they're really worth it.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Does anyone have experience with these strings? Looking at the AC112's in general. I'm looking to test out some different strings on my new 0-15 (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=502502) and have seen these get good reviews on similar guitars. Sounds like they also have lower tension which could be good for an older guitar like this.

I pretty much always stick with D'Addario EJ16's or JP 600L's but these seem intriguing. Not sure about paying $25 per set though, so I'm curious if they're really worth it.

Thanks!

I tried em' and they were very good. Are they $20+ good? You don't know until you try them for yourself! In the meantime got a good pair of headphones and listen to what they sound like on a 0-17

Old 03-08-2018, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

A friend of mine is a professional sound engineer who has worked for some pretty big names in music. He said a lot of studio musicians preferred Thomastik strings and he thought they sounded great. I have a set, but haven't got around to using them yet. They are on the pricey side, but I don't think I spent $24 for mine.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 03-08-2018, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

I liked them a ton on the four guitars that are wearing them when I first put them on, but maybe 6 months later with little play not as much. They seem too bright.

I had to return a couple of packs for repeated breakage on the same string across two or three packages (I think it was the G string that just unraveled), upon installation or within an hour or day. There was no rough handling, I've changed strings 100s of times, and some other people had the same problem. I think it was on 11s. Those were Plectrums. I still have some sets and have used the nylon classical set too, those I don't like one bit. I have some Spectrums I've yet to try.

I got them off Amazon, which currently seems to be a dumping ground for all things defective. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but I did get my money back on the broken set as well as other unopened ones I was no longer willing to take a chance with.

I'd say you should try them a couple of times. The nylons I put on an old c.1920s parlor and they still had too much tension for the neck, as did the 10s. This is even with a CF insert in the neck, put in when I had a new fingerboard installed, there still was way too much forward bow. Pretty sure that's an issue with the guitar. An OM I have them on sounds superb with them.

The Plectrums do feel nice under hand.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:16 PM

Between Thomastik AC111 and Newtone Heritage, nothing else goes on my vintage small bodied guitars. Love them both.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKT View Post

I got them off Amazon, which currently seems to be a dumping ground for all things defective. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but I did get my money back on the broken set as well as other unopened ones I was no longer willing to take a chance with.
There is huge problem with fake stuff on online sellers like Amazon and eBay, Thomastik and other high end companies are a particular target. I don’t know how widespread it is with guitar strings, but with orchestral instruments, it is huge. Just be careful.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 03-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been really happy with Plectrums and with my neutral hand chemistry I get at least 12 weeks of life and have gone 6 months with a set a couple of times. I’ve never had a Plectrum string break but I always buy them from Just Strings. If you primarily fingerstyle, the 11-50’s are a joy even on a short scale guitar. If you flatpick and fingerstyle, I’d go with the 12-59’s. If you primarily flatpick, might want to try the 13-61’s. Don’t let the gauge on the heavier strings be a worry as these strings have less tension at tune.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Appreciate the input! I bought a pack so we'll see how they are. I'm hoping I don't like them too much at that price point, though I suppose if they last longer it might even out.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:11 AM
Charter Member

I have used the Plectrums for years and really like them. For me they last a really long time

But I have recently moved to Newtone Heritage strings (also low tension) for what is IMHO a more enjoyable feel, and a lower price.

Col
Old 03-09-2018, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
I have used the Plectrums for years and really like them. For me they last a really long time

But I have recently moved to Newtone Heritage strings (also low tension) for what is IMHO a more enjoyable feel, and a lower price.

Col
Another option is I have just tried some Santa Cruz Parabolic Low Tension strings and like them a lot. They are brighter than Plectrums but about the same feel in terms of lower string tension. If you find the Plectrums are too warm, these are a good option $3-$4 cheaper.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-09-2018, 10:23 AM

I have always liked the Plectrums for their balance and sweetness on most of my guitars, but have found them better on cedar / hog. I do find them a bit restrained sometimes and so also use JP PB’s or Elixir PB’s for a bit more bite..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 03-09-2018, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

I use them on my Goodall standard just to hear the clear fundamentals of such a fine guitar. Sometimes they lack character to me. They are certainly different sounding. For more thoughtful playing.

Nice to learn about clarity, string to string balance, more neutral EQ, uncompressed and less zingy artifacts as I try to simply let the melodies rise on their own merits. That's when I choose the more adult guitar over the PB and Elixir strings of my other 6 funner acoustics.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:15 PM

TI make QUALITY strings so yeah they'll be pricier.
How long they'll last depends on you - your the one touching and deteriorating them.

and
it depends where you are, in Europe a set of DR Strings Sunbeam RCA-12 will cost you €11.50 and a set of Thomastik AC112 €12.70 so ya see what import duty does both ways.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:18 PM

Can anyone comment on the differences tonally between the spectrums and the plectrums?
Old 03-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

...I used them exclusively with my vintage 00-17.....I also use them on a Gibson LG 3/4.....I'm thinking they're the bees knees on small body mahogany guitars...oddly I don' care for them on most other guitars...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion