The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush Tom View Post
I'm in the one percent. I own an 18 series (00) and i still prefer my 000 15 series.
I must be going thru an all mahogany phase right now as i just love the dry, woody warmth of a hog guitar.

Tom
Well, Tom, that's allowed. We need variety and hog lovers like you to keep the rest of us subjective.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:59 PM

I think getting an grand auditorium size has the best of both worlds of a 000 and a Dread. Hence I think Taylor or Furch are reputable makers of this body size.

The Taylor 314ce is a great fingerpickin guitar. Almost as comfortable as an OM and with tone bigger than an OM but not as bassy as a dread.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microscope View Post
...Prefer to test them out in-person with an expert buddy of mine. Can be damaged/repaired, lemons, not original parts, scams, sketchy sellers, warped neck, hairline cracks, etc. What is your experience with this?
This would seem to demand you......oh, never mind.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
This would seem to demand you......oh, never mind.
Please finish your thought.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:53 AM

Re: Martin 000-15M vs Used D Series

I often see people say the 15M is good if you are on a budget, but if you have more to spend definitely find a nice used D series and so on. So my question is, what makes these older used Martins an obvious step up compared to a 15M for example?

Also, what models would you suggest if we’re only talking 000/OM, orchestra, auditorium and not dreadnoughts?
Old 12-02-2017, 04:08 PM

You would be remiss not to look at the Yamaha AC5R. Crazy good high end instrument, with rebate they are less than $1,300.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 12-02-2017, 07:58 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
I agree with most of the ones mentioned. A newer used D-18 if you like long scale. 000-18 for warm tones and harmonics. The Larrivee's sound great for rhythm across your genres. Hard to beat a sitka / mahogany, light weight, Martin with the newer bracing pattern and perfect neck with narrow string saddle spacing.

They also have a big sweet spot sonically for right hand execution. Some guitars if you strum them a little off, across the 6 strings, that poor execution can produce audible mistakes. The Martin's are more forgiving. They have enough tone mid song to not show mistakes as other guitars would. Yet they are not as deeply lush as a boutique tone machines, which may expose slight mistakes. They are not too lush. They have a warm, compressed tone. (especially the low mids!). 15 series also sounds wonderful. I haven't owned a J15 but love slope Gibson's as well.
Plenty to process here, thx
Old 12-02-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
You would be remiss not to look at the Yamaha AC5R. Crazy good high end instrument, with rebate they are less than $1,300.
Looks nice. Will check it out. Thx
Old 12-03-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microscope View Post
I was worried someone might say that : ) Well in spite of my no-fly list, I'm not only looking for American made iconic models. Some of those brands I mentioned is less about where it is made, and more about feel/sound/look etc.
Feel, sound and look are so subjective criteria that ultimately only you can decide what you prefer. Personally I find dreads with cutaways possibly the ugliest guitars imaginable; then there are those who also find them irresistibly gorgeous. I'll admit it's fun reading of others' likes and dislikes, but ultimately are they of any practical use to you?
Old 12-03-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Feel, sound and look are so subjective criteria that ultimately only you can decide what you prefer. Personally I find dreads with cutaways possibly the ugliest guitars imaginable; then there are those who also find them irresistibly gorgeous. I'll admit it's fun reading of others' likes and dislikes, but ultimately are they of any practical use to you?
Funny you mention it because I am starting to get turned off by dreadnoughts. Really liking the feel and sound of 000, OM, AS, and some Jumbos.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:41 AM

Thanks to all who weighed in.
Hopefully it's helpful for some people.
It is for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, steel string