The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-01-2017, 06:12 PM

Default $1000 Budget ~ Solo Acoustic Singer Amp - Advice

Ok... So in another thread I asked opinions - For a Solo Acoustic player / singer (using a TC Helicon Play Acoustic for effects).

Which to choose -- Fishman SA330x or the Bose L1 Compact ...

Looks like the Bose won!

So... Before I pull out my wallet.

What else? Seems many do prefer Amps like Fishman, Schertler, AER or Mesa Rosette.

In my mind... These "amps" are made for guitar. So I would think that they'd sound better for guitar?... If so, how are they on vocals and "dispersion" in a small to med size venue?

I'm hip to the Bose Compact... Easy to carry and set up.. Excellent sound. Plus the reviews are stellar.

But... considering everything in the $850-$1000 range.. is there a more eloquent solution? Again, I'm not trying to fill a large place... Small-Med size place 50-75 people.. Plus small footprint. easy to set up and EZ to carry in and out!

Thanks !
Old 11-01-2017, 06:46 PM

I use a satellite system meaning the HK Nano Lucas 300. This is a subwoofer with two small satellite speakers that can be mounted on mic stands at any height or they attach directly on top of the sub for less dispersion but more direct sound. Its all attached with 1/4' cables.
Its like a small amp with better bass and very nice clear hi fidelity smaller speakers. It will do what you want. But I also run some pedals before that system that give me what I like in terms of effects and other features.
The HK system has three separate inputs plus an RCA input for drum machines, recorded music, etc. Each of the three inputs has a knob that provides some eq but not a lot. There is gain for each channel and a sub woofer volume knob along with a balance knob over the whole system.
Its very simple, high quality sound, light, easy to carry and set up, variety of how you use it and only costs about $600.
Sometimes I run my guitar and vocal first into a small guitar amp(Shertler David Deluxe) with effects built in along with presence, notch, etc then into the HK. I have had this for about 6 months but gig very often with it and am finding it quite enough.... and I have a high standard for good sound. You might want to check out HK Audio. They have larger systems than mine if you want that. I like the light weight and easy of set up features.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 11-02-2017, 08:11 AM

I am more old school. I use a mackie board
And one qsc k10 I have a preamp for the guitar.
This is of course a bit over your budget. But you can find
It used.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Ok... So in another thread I asked opinions - For a Solo Acoustic player / singer (using a TC Helicon Play Acoustic for effects).

Which to choose -- Fishman SA330x or the Bose L1 Compact ...

Looks like the Bose won!

So... Before I pull out my wallet.

What else? Seems many do prefer Amps like Fishman, Schertler, AER or Mesa Rosette.

In my mind... These "amps" are made for guitar. So I would think that they'd sound better for guitar?... If so, how are they on vocals and "dispersion" in a small to med size venue?

I'm hip to the Bose Compact... Easy to carry and set up.. Excellent sound. Plus the reviews are stellar.

But... considering everything in the $850-$1000 range.. is there a more eloquent solution? Again, I'm not trying to fill a large place... Small-Med size place 50-75 people.. Plus small footprint. easy to set up and EZ to carry in and out!

Thanks !
So far I'd have to say my early impression is that the Mesa Rosette is more impressive for guitar than vocals ... with the caveat that my testing is incomplete and some of that might very well be my mic technique (I'm used to ideal studio conditions wearing headphones) and lack of EQ skills.

I'm going to have someone way better than me with EQ tweak the vocal sound, then I'll report back.

I've also been quiet about Rosette cause her 300 watts exposed grounding issues in my house which have interfered with my testing. I did take her out once and she had no problem filling a small weirdly shaped wine bar. Additionally, I've had to focus on building my repertoire. But I'll get back to Rosette in the next few days.

She sounds so good for guitar that I hope I can get the vocals sounding stronger. Using a Sennheiser e935 now and getting virtually no feedback.

Last edited by troggg; 11-02-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
So far I'd have to say my early impression is that the Mesa Rosette is more impressive for guitar than vocals ...

I'm going to have someone way better than me with EQ tweak the vocal sound, then I'll report back.

She sounds so good for guitar that I hope I can get the vocals sounding stronger. Using a Sennheiser e935 now and getting virtually no feedback.
Thanks! It would be my thought that a "Guitar amp " especially a Mesa quality product..would sound better than a PA Speaker for "Guitar".

On a side note.. Do you use any vocal processing? TC Helicon Play really helps my singing! They do make a Mic Mechanic pedal as well.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I am more old school. I use a mackie board
And one qsc k10 I have a preamp for the guitar.
This is of course a bit over your budget. But you can find
It used.
Yeah.. I have been that route and understand completely. Works perfect and sounds great!

But looking for something.. cleaner looking ... Easy to set up / carry in....
No tripod stands, mixers, less wires. etc.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:42 AM

Consider the Line 6 Soundsource L2t.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 11-02-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:

On a side note.. Do you use any vocal processing? TC Helicon Play really helps my singing! They do make a Mic Mechanic pedal as well.
I'm kinda new to getting out of the studio and performing solo live, so my first priority is sounding the way I'd like to sound with a "purist" approach before I start adding vocal and guitar processing. I think the main difference is that so far I feel I can be a lot more subtle in the studio, letting the mic do the work, while it seems like I have to move a lot more air live. And I have to get used to advice like "swallow the mic." Not to mention the 2 hours of live material I've crammed to learn!

As I've noted before, you'd almost have to try to find a bad guitar setting on the Mesa, it's just variations of really really good. It hasn't been that easy for me to find inspiring vocal settings, but it might be a breeze for someone else. Hopefully I'll know more in a couple of days.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
I'm kinda new to getting out of the studio and performing solo live, so my first priority is sounding the way I'd like to sound with a "purist" approach before I start adding vocal and guitar processing. I think the main difference is that so far I feel I can be a lot more subtle in the studio, letting the mic do the work, while it seems like I have to move a lot more air live. And I have to get used to advice like "swallow the mic." Not to mention the 2 hours of live material I've crammed to learn!

As I've noted before, you'd almost have to try to find a bad guitar setting on the Mesa, it's just variations of really really good. It hasn't been that easy for me to find inspiring vocal settings, but it might be a breeze for someone else. Hopefully I'll know more in a couple of days.
Ok gotcha ...
In other words you got "bigger fish to fry " ..

Old 11-02-2017, 03:24 PM

I wanted to thank everyone ..

Ultimately I decided on the personal PA route.

Went with the Bose!
Old 11-02-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Ok gotcha ...
In other words you got "bigger fish to fry " ..

... for the time being. I'm not against going for much more once I feel I've developed a solid foundation. Congrats on your PA purchase.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:22 PM

Since I've had my Bose L1C I've had no g.a.s. whatsoever for anything else PA related. It can't be beat for portability, sound dispersion and reliability. Paired with my Behringer xr16 I want for nothing. .....
Guitars though....I'd like something in Mahogany, also like the Matons. Ahhh. That G.A.S. never goes away lol
Old 11-03-2017, 07:06 AM

I was at this same point about 7 years ago and ended up going with the Bose L1 Model 1. Sometimes I wish I would have gone with the compact but the model 1 has been perfect when I was not solo and added electric drums and a couple of singers. I just plugged everything into my Mackie 6 channel mixer then straight into the Bose. Easy to setup and use and very impressive sound.

Taylor 714CE
G&L Tribute Legacy
Takamine 12 String EG-335SC
Martin DC-1E
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Roland AC-90 Acoustic Amp
Orange Crush CR10 Mini Amp
Fender Champion 300 Amp
Old 11-03-2017, 08:45 AM

Jake, in the $1,000 price range, these are the best I've encountered. I've owned or giged with all except the HK Nano and Maui.

But, for some perspective, I expect my next system to be either the HK Lucas Nano 608i (tricked out mixer version of the 600) or the QSC K8.2.

Bose L1C
Fishman SA330x
HK Lucas Nano 300/600 with TC Play Acoustic
Line 6 L2t
LD Systems Maui 11
QSC K8.2 or K10.2 with Play Acoustic. Add a mixer for more people or channels.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:49 AM

I used to run a Pendulum SPS-1 through 2 Ultrasound 50s, but the complexity of the system setup dampened my desire to perform occasionally.
That system is history, although I have nothing but high praise for the Pendulum itself.
I’m getting a Mesa-Boogie Rosette after the New Year.
I’m pretty excited, The amp sounds great in those superbly produced Rosette videos!
[emoji1365]❤️
1968 Gibson EB3
2010 Hofner Club Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification