The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 10:48 AM

Default Modifying/Customizing Your Guitars

Maybe this would be better as a poll, but here goes anyway.

My personal definition - changing strings or action, truss rod or setup are not modifications.

How many people customize/modify your guitar with: adding/changing pickups; adding, removing or changing the pickguard; changing tuners; adding a strap button; adding an arm rest; reprofiling the neck; or similar?

Are there any changes you made that were real beneficial? Any mods you regret?

I know many won't do anything that may reduce future resale value, and ANY modification could reduce that value.

For my part I've added passive pickups to all my instruments. I've deglossed the neck on most. I've added strap buttons to the neck heel whenever they don't come with one. I've added arm rests to most. I've added pickguards to two instruments that required some drilling. In each case these mods have led to greater enjoyment of playing the instrument, so I don't regret any of them. I don't currently have plans to sell any of these.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:25 AM

Here's what I have done in terms of modding my guitars.

For my Lakewood M32, I have replaced the Schaller M6 tuners with Gotoh 21:1 tuners. I had a Taylor with those Gotohs and fell in love with the performance and tuning stability, plus the gold Schallers were showing pitting due to being 17 years old and me not always wiping them down diligently. Didn't hurt that the drill and screw holes for the Schallers and M6 were identical so it was a quick and painless swap.

Also for my M32, it's currently in the shop getting a new bone nut with wider string spacing. I'm not super picky with string spacing, as my signature shows, but the one thing on the M32 that always bothered me was how far away from the edge the low E was, making it near impossible for me to fret comfortably with my thumb. It was maybe 1mm or more further in than all my other guitars, so since I now have quite a few new acquisitions, I sent ol' faithful into the shop for a full set up and a new bone nut with wider spacing.

What I have done with all my current guitars is experiment with bridge pins. Sometimes I can hear a difference, sometimes not, and sometimes the results are surprising. I have several sets of bone pins, and two sets of Martin's new Luxe Liquidmetal pins. I swapped them around on all my guitars and see if i can hear any difference (H&D and SCGC came with ebony pins, Martin 00 came with plastic, Martin 000 came with bone so I haven't changed those out).

I'll admit it's totally unscientific, and I'm not immune to confirmation bias.

Anyway, on the H&D I thought I noted a slight increase in sustain and maybe a little smoother tone with bone, but when I put the Martin Luxe on them, I could feel the top vibrating more and overall an increase in volume (and perhaps sustain simply due to the overall volume increase). So one set of Luxe remained on the H&D.

On the SCGC, I didn't really notice a change going to bone. When I put the Luxe pins on...the top string became twangy. Not because Luxe does what brass pins do (it doesn't) but I think the Luxe pins didn't snugly fit with the SCGC bridge holes. Went back to default ebony because I think it looks best with it, and I couldn't tell a difference switching to bone. The Luxe's increase in volume seemed to not sit well with the SCGC...it seemed to lose a bit of it's articulation.

On the Martin 00, going from plastic to bone yielded a minor increase in sustain and volume, but going to Luxe...whoa it brought a growl to the low end, as well as an overall volume increase, without losing the articulation like what happened on the SCGC. Maybe there is something to the different drilled holes in the various bridges. Because I very much like what the Luxes have done to the H&D and Martin 00, but they made some very negative tonal changes to the SCGC OM.

The 000 sinker hog...actually it's exactly the tone I want from that guitar right now, and I don't want to change a thing! Unlike the 00 which was a more expensive guitar due to the cocobolo, these came with bone bridge pins. I don't normally use Martin Lifespans but I ordered a bunch since that is what came with it. I'm still going to experiment with Martin Retros when these age out, but if I'm displeased with the change I'll go straight back to Lifespans!

Every guitar I currently own has a bone nut and saddle, but if I ever bought one with plastic...I'd swap that out immediately.

I always put a second strap button in the "Taylor position". First foray into custom/high end guitars and I was hesitant. Used a leather headstock tie. That was for the birds. After getting over myself, I had them installed. My preferred playing position is standing. Kicking myself for losing weeks agonizing over the decision. For all future purchases, the minute they go past the return period, they will get second strap buttons installed.

I never buy guitars with resale value consideration. I buy them because I love their tone, feel, looks and they give me something that is different from what is currently in my arsenal. Comfort, tone and playability are paramount so I'll make whatever mods I want to maximize those. And if it knocks off some value in trade in down the line...so be it.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-21-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

I really don't think I do a lot of modding, because to me that term means doing invasive changes. I put a pickup in all my guitars because if they can't earn some money, then they're just sponging off me. LOL I also always trade out the bridge pins because I just hate plastic. Add a strap button and I'm ready to go.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-21-2020, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

"How many people customize/modify your guitar with: adding/changing pickups; adding, removing or changing the pickguard; changing tuners; adding a strap button; adding an arm rest; reprofiling the neck; or similar?"

Well, I've done all of these in the past.

Adding pickups - Well, I had two fitted with K&K "pure minis" fitted, but don't think they've ever been used.

Changing Tuners ? Yes on my '64 Martin 12 string. the originals were rather worn, and rusty so I got some custom made ones from Blazer und Henkes.

Changed pickguard? on both my 12 strings - including that Martin which had a nasty black one so I replaced it with a nicer TS effect one.
Similar deal with my Harmony 12.

Armrest? Not on a guitar but on my Mandolin - yes.

Strap buttons yup - I put Schaller Straplocks on all the guitars that I may perform with and I put them in the end of the heel (oh the horror!)

Reprofiling the neck ?
Yup. On my custom built Huss & Dalton which was an expensive waste of money as neither dealer, nor luthier could get it to play right, and my luthier built 0028 12 fret -just a little to smooth the V profile.

That's about it.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:32 AM

I bought two Fender Custom Shop Strats about 20 years ago and carved out the body to install a midboost circuit board thingy like my Clapton Strat had. Loved it at the time, but I donÂ’t play them anymore. Somewhat regret it as I now think I should sell at least one of them and no doubt lost potential $$$ gain.

I sanded/rolled the fretboard edges down on my D-18GE. It had sharp edges and this made it much more comfortable to play. No regrets.

I grew to hate the Wine Red finish on a Les Paul Studio I bought about 25 years ago and carved flames into the Nitro instead of selling or trading it. I regret that but one day IÂ’ll refinish the whole thing with binding and maybe recarve the neck. So who knows in the future.

Perhaps because of the electric guitar mods I did and regret I chose not to put in strap buttons or permanently modify either of my acoustics to install a pickup and instead use a sound hole pickup and attach the strap to the headstock.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:02 PM

I should add that I put in a b band a2.2 in my M32. But haven’t added pickups to any of my other acoustics.surprising that a b band from early 2000s on my m32 sounded better through an amp than a 2018 Taylor 914ce v class I parted with. I had high hopes that 15+ years of advancements and Taylor’s built in ES2 solution would put my b band to shame, but it was the other way around.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-21-2020, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

To me tuners are tuners, pick guards are pic guards, and anything else I buy it factory installed. I leave them alone. I use the strings that the manufacturer recommends. I've not always been that way, but I've grown into it.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

One modification that is very popular around here that I don't understand it changing out perfectly good tuners for open gear tuners because the person thinks they look cool.

Nobody sees your tuning machines. Not the player, and not the audience. The smoothest, easiest adjusting tuners I've used are the sealed ones that come on the Martin X and Road Series. Some just have to change them out, even if it leaves them with holes to fill.

I just don't get it.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:44 PM

Default Modifying/Customizing Your Guitars

My old strat started as an abandoned 1989 Squier II strat. Hardware was heavily oxidized. Bridge block had cracks on it, electronics were not worth saving.

*edit*
For the tuners I had to enlarge the holes on the headstock to make them fit. Also wired custom single coil pickups with “bucker” mod toggle switch (connects the middle and bridge pickups in series). The tremolo was changed to one with a bigger block, also roller string trees were installed. Put quite some money and time in this $50 guitar. [emoji23]

Last edited by 1neeto; 09-21-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I am generally an "if it ain't broke , don't fix it" kind of person, but the two modifications that I have done or had done that I absolutely do not regret are:
- Upgraded tuners on my Alvarez parlor. I dropped in Grover Sta-tites and they were definitely an improvement. The ones that came with the guitar were serviceable but the Grovers definitely made a difference in the ease of tuning and staying in tune. Also, they had larger buttons so they were more ergonomically suitable for me. I have some minor arthritis and I find mini-tuners problematic.

- I had the necks on two of my guitars shaved down and re-shaped. I also decided not to have them re-lacquered and had them treated with gun oil instead. Wow. Great improvement on the playability and feel. I had the work done by the luthier who made the guitars, so I knew I was in good hands in terms of re-shaping the neck without any negative impact on tone.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-21-2020, 12:51 PM

Mid 80’s Kramer. Changed from SSS pickups to custom humbucker and Fender single coils. Required drilling new pick guard holes.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Guilty As Charged...

Strap Button - every guitar gets a neck-heel strap button the day it arrives in my home, otherwise how can I play it standing up? Tying to the headstock cowboy-style is an absolute no-no - never have, never will.

Pick-up - every guitar gets a K&K Pure soundboard transducer at the earliest possible moment.

Bridgepin-hole Slotting - any guitar with a pin-bridge gets the pin-holes reamed and slotted and solid, unslotted pins installed.

Pickguard Replacement - any Martin that arrives with a pixelated-pepperoni pickguard has the offending article removed and replaced with the appropriate Delmar pickguard.

Neck/Headstock Buffed Out - neck and headstock get buffed out on any guitar that arrives with a cheap ‘n’ nasty matt neck and headstock. The beautifully-hand-rubbed-satin-finished necks of my Lowdens have been the exception - they are in a different class and they look and feel wonderful. This buffing is usually timed to coincide, if appropriate, with...

Open-Back Tuner Replacement - I’ve had several Martins which came fitted with Martin-branded tuners which had a lot of backlash. These were replaced with Waverlys.

I never buy a guitar with the intention of re-selling it, so any effect on resale value these modifications may have is of absolutely no interest to me - if I end up selling and take a hit, ça ne fait rien, that’s just the way it is - I don’t lose sleep over it. That’s just me.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 09-21-2020, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
One modification that is very popular around here that I don't understand it changing out perfectly good tuners for open gear tuners because the person thinks they look cool.

Nobody sees your tuning machines. Not the player, and not the audience. The smoothest, easiest adjusting tuners I've used are the sealed ones that come on the Martin X and Road Series. Some just have to change them out, even if it leaves them with holes to fill.

I just don't get it.
An argument can be made that changing tuners is beneficial to reducing weight and making a guitar less neck-heavy on a strap. Oh, and I do notice closed gear tuners in the audience. You can tell from the wide bushings that go along with closed gear tuners
Old 09-21-2020, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Really Like LakewoodM32 Fan description of Liquid metal pins. I will maybe have to try those someday.
* I also love experimenting with bridge pins. And I customize my own pins with tiny Brass and copper centers. Lots of hours drilling holes! Very hard to get absolutely centered in a tapered pin
* Nut and Saddle material I have experimented with Tusc, Bone, Camel Bone, Black horn, Unbleached bone and More. I make my own saddles and are learning nuts. I really feel as nut and saddle material make a difference. My personal favorite is Unbleached bone.
* Tuners, I try and always upgrade with Gotoh Locking tuners or their standard 510 1/21 ratios.. And then upgrade with wood Buttons. And additionally I add Brass Washer between the button and the tuner.
I have customized and experimented in all kinds of crazy ways. Even using One material for the 6,5,4 & 3 rd stings and a different material for the 1st and 2nd string. I no longer do this..and are getting the tone I desire with just one saddle material for all the pins...but it was fun experimenting. However, I still use different pins for 1st and 2nd string though.
And I just recently refurbished several Wood working tables and turned them into Guitar working tables for Nut and saddle making, as well as String Changing. Pictures and new thread coming soon.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Yes.
- Changed synthetic saddles to bone (only once out of 6 or 7 did I change back to the OEM due to tone)
- Took pickguard off of hog topped Taylor GS Mini. Top had really nice figuring and it was new so no tan line.
- Changed Tuners on a Larrivee L (with a burst) to a set of special edition Larrivee Black Chromes w black buttons and admit it was purely cosmetic to "compliment" the tobacco burst w- the black chrome. Tuners were drop-in, no drilling.
- Changed out a couple of plastic TRCs on Taylors to Ebony or Rosewood with some inlay.
- Bridge Pins, yes (mainly for cosmetics)
- P-ups, yes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion