The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
This is a very good suggestion.
Yes, I will keep an eye on his inventory. Nothing in my price range at the moment.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 09-21-2020, 07:37 AM

Another vote for the Alvarez AP66. If I didn't already own 3 parlor guitars, I would have bought one after trying it for 10 minutes recently. The string spacing at the saddle is a little tight for fingerstyle for me, but for your stated purpose the guitar could be perfect.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

+ 1 for the AP66 ...
1-3/4” nut on a short scale, small bodied 12-fret at this price point is one of the things that sets it apart ... well, that and the fact that it’s fun to play, sounds good and has vintage vibe for days ...

~ Paul
Old 09-21-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
+ 1 for the AP66 ...
1-3/4” nut on a short scale, small bodied 12-fret at this price point is one of the things that sets it apart ... well, that and the fact that it’s fun to play, sounds good and has vintage vibe for days ...

~ Paul
Alvarez AP66 ( or the similar AP70) is my suggestion too for the reasons already stated . I sold my GS Mini and dont miss it, when compared to the Alvarez it felt like a toy.

Last edited by NotveryGood; 09-21-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I'd strongly consider having this gent put something together for me for $500.

http://vintageparlorguitars.com/index.html
Now I’m GASing for one of these. Inventory bookmarked! $100 shipping to my neck of the woods is tough to swallow though. 15-20% the cost of the guitar.
Fender Acoustasonic 30 DSP Combo Amp

2007 Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany
Fender Frontman 65R Combo Amp
Old 09-21-2020, 08:57 AM

That Alvarez is a fine pick but keep in mind that even though it's called a parlor, it really is 00 sized.

If you are willing to do a paddlehead - the Seagull Grand is an exceptional little guitar. My wife has one and it has great tone and surprising volume as well.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-21-2020, 09:44 AM

Some suggestions aren't 12 fret, and some are without slotted headstock.

If we allow that, I'd toss in the Guild M120 current model. All solid 'African Mahogany'. Really a nice and precise little guitar I play a few times a week and it makes me happy and sounds larger and clearer than some of the past parlors I have experienced.

I have had a couple Larrivee's P models that were 12 fret, but had solid headstocks. And they were all mahogany. M05s.

Recently, there's been a couple smaller Gretsch acoustics with 12 frets... All solid headstocks.

There's an EKO guitar Guitar Center advertises, with a slotted headstock, but 14 frets.

I have played an Alvarez AP70, similar to the AP66... I believe the AP70 has 12 frets and slotted headstock. I played one AP70 in a shop and liked it a lot, then ordered one from some online vendor, and the one I got wasn't as nice sounding

Martin's 000-15SM (or maybe a custom 00-15) is a quite outstanding instrument if you are looking for 12 fret/slot head, non-spruce top... I have had an older one and a newer one, that is, a mahogany proper and maybe a sapele or sipo incarnation... both were wonderful instruments. The Larrivee M05Ps were fantastic, too.

Used, maybe you could find something in the reasonable cost ballpark... Not sure.
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Gretsch G6120T-1960

Last edited by ishtar; 09-21-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Soooo....my requirements are: 12 fret, short scale, slotted headset, not spruce top (would like to try something different), and under $400 bucks.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to an Alvarez AP66, but anyone have any other suggestions that I should be considering?

I stumbled into an Alvarez AF77E a few months ago, and couldn't be happier at the price. I've played the AP66 as well, and thought it was a solid parlor at the price.

Gretsch open back banjo (1972)
Walnut Creek mountain dulcimer (2004)
Old 09-21-2020, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

I kind of briefly responded before, but I'll elaborate. The model I purchased was the Alvarez 660 model which is similar to the 66 but without the slotted headstock, and it is also a 14 fret model. The 66 has a slotted headstock and 12 frets. Both are 1 3/4 at the nut and have the same materials and build quality.

I played maybe 5 or 10 parlor or OO sized guitars before deciding. Arguably, the best was the Eastman E10-OO. But it was also $1200. I also played a couple of Seagull folk instruments, a Yamaha, two Breedloves (all solid), an Ibanez, and a couple of others.

In my opinion, the Alvarez was the perfect blend of tone to cost. For a couch or travel guitar, it's just hard to beat. As would be expected, it really excels at finger picking and isn't the absolute best strummer, but it does okay in that role too.

For what you want, the Alvarez is the obvious pick here.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I kind of briefly responded before, but I'll elaborate. The model I purchased was the Alvarez 660 model which is similar to the 66 but without the slotted headstock, and it is also a 14 fret model. The 66 has a slotted headstock and 12 frets. Both are 1 3/4 at the nut and have the same materials and build quality.

I played maybe 5 or 10 parlor or OO sized guitars before deciding. Arguably, the best was the Eastman E10-OO. But it was also $1200. I also played a couple of Seagull folk instruments, a Yamaha, two Breedloves (all solid), an Ibanez, and a couple of others.

In my opinion, the Alvarez was the perfect blend of tone to cost. For a couch or travel guitar, it's just hard to beat. As would be expected, it really excels at finger picking and isn't the absolute best strummer, but it does okay in that role too.

For what you want, the Alvarez is the obvious pick here.
Thank you so much for the reply! Oh yes, I would absolutely love an Eastman parlor, but they are both more than I paid for my Eastman OM. I wonder why parlors are so expensive? And yes, I’m fairly certain that it’s going to be the Alvarez. And I did look at the paddle head 14 fret Alvarez’s. There are a few models of them, but 12 fret and slotted has my heart right now.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 09-21-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishtar View Post
Some suggestions aren't 12 fret, and some are without slotted headstock.

If we allow that, I'd toss in the Guild M120 current model. All solid 'African Mahogany'. Really a nice and precise little guitar I play a few times a week and it makes me happy and sounds larger and clearer than some of the past parlors I have experienced.

I have had a couple Larrivee's P models that were 12 fret, but had solid headstocks. And they were all mahogany. M05s.

Recently, there's been a couple smaller Gretsch acoustics with 12 frets... All solid headstocks.

There's an EKO guitar Guitar Center advertises, with a slotted headstock, but 14 frets.

I have played an Alvarez AP70, similar to the AP66... I believe the AP70 has 12 frets and slotted headstock. I played one AP70 in a shop and liked it a lot, then ordered one from some online vendor, and the one I got wasn't as nice sounding

Martin's 000-15SM (or maybe a custom 00-15) is a quite outstanding instrument if you are looking for 12 fret/slot head, non-spruce top... I have had an older one and a newer one, that is, a mahogany proper and maybe a sapele or sipo incarnation... both were wonderful instruments. The Larrivee M05Ps were fantastic, too.

Used, maybe you could find something in the reasonable cost ballpark... Not sure.
Thank you for taking the time to reply with all of this good info! I do like that AP70 as well, but I think a mahogany top is the way I want to go with this one.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 09-21-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have the AP66sb, neat little guitar.
Thanks for the reply! Do you have the older version with the Ivoroid binding around it and around the fretboard? That’s the one I really want...lol. And I love your sig lines!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 09-21-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airpatrick View Post
Now I’m GASing for one of these. Inventory bookmarked! $100 shipping to my neck of the woods is tough to swallow though. 15-20% the cost of the guitar.
Hahaaa...got you!!! And I think my local Guitar Center has them or can get them and they do ship to store for free. Any idea if I should try to negotiate the price at a GC? Or is there someplace else I should buy one?
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 09-21-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, I will keep an eye on his inventory. Nothing in my price range at the moment.
Email him and ask what he can do for the price you’re willing to pay. He’s a great guy and responds quickly to questions.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Hahaaa...got you!!! And I think my local Guitar Center has them or can get them and they do ship to store for free. Any idea if I should try to negotiate the price at a GC? Or is there someplace else I should buy one?
Generally with guitar center you have to wait for sales. I got the 14 fret Alvarez parlor that’s been mentioned here several times for sixty dollars off their usual price by finding it on sale. It beat out several sub-$1000 all solid small guitars, at least in my opinion. I made sure to buy the one I demoed even though it was a floor model. I don’t think you can go wrong with an Alvarez parlor. I’d still suggest you email vintage parlor guitars though. Really nice little guitars on his site.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion