The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pender View Post
Cim,

First, I love your last album! Congrats!

Second, I put my vote on the Martin 000-18, too. For me it's the template, as Karmadave said. I would like to hear your music played on this

Regards from Lisbon,
Pedro
Thanks mate! A pre war 000-18 would be the dream, it is so hard finding one in Europe though
Old 09-18-2020, 09:24 AM

The Eastman OMs (I have the E10-OM) are pretty unique in that they are short scale (and thus really 000's) but they come with an OM style pickguard -- which I happen to greatly prefer.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
But I wouldn't say it's as fundamental-focused a Collings OM1JL which is a very...I don't know if "dry tone" is the right phrase...but it definitely emphasizes the fundamental tone over the overtone to a level that most other guitars I've ever played don't. The Julian Lage is a very unforgiving guitar (and I'm not saying that as a criticism). If you are on-point with your playing, it rewards you. If you are sloppy, it reveals you. I'm very sloppy.
But the Lage is also long scale and OP wants short. I have the Adirondack model. It is my favorite guitar, but it is a taskmaster. When I'm tired I don't like playing it cuz it keeps showing me up.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:25 AM

Santa Cruz OM/PW Mahogany/Carpathian, ss.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post

Not short scale right?
Old 09-19-2020, 09:13 PM

LOVE my Martin 000-18 reimagined. I can’t imagine a better deal for such a wonderful guitar.
2010 American Deluxe Telecaster
2003 Avalon Legacy L25
Old 09-19-2020, 10:51 PM

Default So many choices

Man a 000 with Mahogany that has aged well might be the most killer guitar. It’s being patient in getting to that point. Hmm how about an Astrand? Ha, ha. I’m waiting for mine in 2022. Beyond that Bourgeois, Santa Cruz and Circa guitars come to mind. Circa is probably the one if you have the extra funds, especially if you can get a custom build. Maybe you can send John Slobod a video of your playing and talk to him about a build. Exceptional builders like to align with exceptional players.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtime View Post
Man a 000 with Mahogany that has aged well might be the most killer guitar. It’s being patient in getting to that point. Hmm how about an Astrand? Ha, ha. I’m waiting for mine in 2022. Beyond that Bourgeois, Santa Cruz and Circa guitars come to mind. Circa is probably the one if you have the extra funds, especially if you can get a custom build. Maybe you can send John Slobod a video of your playing and talk to him about a build. Exceptional builders like to align with exceptional players.
If you get a chance to audition a Martin 000-18 with sinker mahogany...that may be the aged mahogany sound you're looking for. Some, I think Gruhn's?, may have some paired with Adi (or aged Adi) tops. I, for one, am thrilled with my spruce top version but I know some want that vintage Martin sound from an Adi top.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-20-2020, 04:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post

Yes, a SCGC OM PW with German/Euro or Adi spruce would be excellent and if you can find one used they are usually a LOT of guitar for the money. I’ve also owned a Collings OM1A and I sold it and moved to my current 0001A which is 12 fret and short scale. Very responsive and lots of clarity, a joy to play.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 09-21-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leepish14 View Post
LOVE my Martin 000-18 reimagined. I can’t imagine a better deal for such a wonderful guitar.
I have to try this one, heard great things about the Reimagined series
Old 09-21-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtime View Post
I have never played a Circa guitar, they are probably wonderful though. Maybe in the future
Old 09-21-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
If you get a chance to audition a Martin 000-18 with sinker mahogany...that may be the aged mahogany sound you're looking for. Some, I think Gruhn's?, may have some paired with Adi (or aged Adi) tops. I, for one, am thrilled with my spruce top version but I know some want that vintage Martin sound from an Adi top.
Maybe like this:

https://diamondguitars.nl/product/ma...p-000-18-2017/

?
Old 09-21-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cim Frode View Post
That certainly looks very similar to mine, looks like they used closed-back Grover tuners in 2017 vs. the open-backed they have on mine (Schaller?). I'd definitely give that a test play if you're able to.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-21-2020, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I played a wonderful Santa Cruz 14 fret short scale OM that was all-mahogany. Warm, clear and balanced. I also played one that was German spruce/mahogany that was stellar as well. I remember playing a custom Collings OM that was German spruce and Koa - it was probably long scale but an amazing instrument. Probably more expensive than the Martin choices but head and shoulders above in terms of tone and presence, in my experience.
Best,
Jayne
Old 09-21-2020, 08:26 AM

Some of the best guitars of this style are made by Circa Guitars, Al Petteway has many recordings with their guitars. A call with Dream guitars may be in order for you. Or call John at Circa. Both are very helpful.

Have fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion