The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-10-2020, 06:58 PM

Default Skipping practice for a short period

Have any of you found sometimes it helps to lay off a day or two of practice? My motivation has not been very good the last couple of days.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:03 PM

I feel it's important to take break periods with any coordination based task.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:36 PM

I find I want to play almost everyday, but if I go too long too many days in a row my fretting fingertips get really sore. Some days it can feel almost like I'm damaging the nerves in those fingertips and I just have to stop. Here is the thing, I've been bass player for 25 years, very actively for many of those years, and never had this kind of fatigue and pain in my fingertips before.

But I do get what you mean. I get that way with golf. Sometimes I need to take a couple of weeks off and hit the reset button.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

IMO, Put it down and walk away for as long as you need to. Does not mean you should not just play for the sake of having fun. Even then I think you get prospective when you take a break.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-10-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd913 View Post
Have any of you found sometimes it helps to lay off a day or two of practice? My motivation has not been very good the last couple of days.

Thanks.
Sometimes a healthy "vacation", more than just a day or two from your instrument can provide a number of benefits. Often, because we realize that we're "rusty" when coming back we can psychologically take the time to slow down and pay attention to flaws in our technique that we don't pay attention to when we're just barreling through day after day. It doesn't take long to get back up to full speed, but if you pay attention when returning you'll come back stronger and more energized than ever.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-10-2020, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

I play guitar every day, usually for several hours. But I always switch it up to make sure I don't feel burnt out. Some days I might practice, other days I might write, other days I'll just noodle around with no end goal in mind.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:49 PM

Occasionally I'll take a day or 2 off. Problem for me is I'm in the process of building up a repitior of fingerstyle pieces and they need to be practiced or I forget them. My intention is to get out and gig them when that is possible again. So in my case, I can't take too much time off. If you are playing for your personal enjoyment, take a break when you feel you need it. Burnout is a real thing and will effect one's playing far worse than a needed break will.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:12 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Taking a day or two off can be helpful, especially if you've been at it constantly every day for an extended period.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-10-2020, 09:51 PM

I feel that breaks are justified and beneficial. I can't count the number of times I've done that, take some time off. Now, be prepared for when you pick it up again..... In my cases, when I do pick it up I find that I am a better player AND something new comes to me in that first few strums of the strings. It's real but you have to pay attention and recognize it, and then, remember it and build on it.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:20 PM

Came back from 6 weeks in Australia in Nov 2019 and was amazed how fresh everything seemed! Usually play everyday unless we're away from home. Was interested that fingers softened up in that time. Ouch!

I have often heard others say a break helps but I've wondered what they meant by 'helps'. Are they overdoing it or playing when they don't really want to? More eldely classical players I've played with seem to need breaks from the classical posture and interminable practicing!!
Old 09-11-2020, 12:39 AM

WE are individuals. What is right for someone isn't right for someone else.

I've been working regulary every day between 10 and 12 for two years. I may have missed 5 days. This works for me. To bad I didn't discover this earlier.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd913 View Post

Thanks.
If you're not motivated, don't play. You won't learn much of any use if you do; and it might make you dislike playing even more.

it's recreation, right? It's not work. You're not being paid to get to a certain technical level in a certain amount of time. Or are you...?
Old 09-11-2020, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

There's more to 'practice' than actually playing. If you are having a few days off from picking up your guitar then you can do other things to move you forward. Such as learning lyrics or researching potential new tunes.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:23 AM

The occasional break for a couple of days works for me. Especially if I've been working on something and can't quite "get it".
Old 09-11-2020, 06:23 AM

From my experience, if I'm actively learning new material and showing steady improvement, I tend to want to play and practice as much as I can. The time I hung up the guitar for over a decade was caused by depression in my honest opinion. I won't bore you with the details. Anyway, my life and marriage slowly started to improve and that's how I got back into guitar. What's been keeping me going is the fact I am seeing improvement on a weekly basis. I have a long term goal which is to learn Austurias and then I have a short term goal which is to smooth out pieces I am learning and have learned.

So I guess my advice would be to keep your playing session fun and set small goals.

Andre F., if you stumble upon this post, I would like to tell you that I'm getting very close.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write