The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-10-2020, 10:23 AM

Default Muting the 6th String

When it comes to playing tunes with a muted 6th string, I struggle. Partly because of the way I hold the guitar, I cannot comfortably rest the heel of my right hand on the bridge and fingerpick at the same time. I wondered if anyone uses an artificial way to mute that string. Surely it can't be that difficult!
Old 09-10-2020, 10:28 AM

Default Use your Thumb to Mute

For staccato and muting i use my fretting hand, although i do some palm muting with my picking hand.

Muting the 6th string (Low E) should be pretty straight forward.

I use my thumb for that, for the classical technique, it might not be a slam dunk, since that hand position is discouraged.

MGF
Old 09-10-2020, 10:36 AM

Thanks for your reply. I would rather not have to use the thumb if I don't have to and I suddenly realise that the piece I'm working on right now requires the muting of the lower three strings. That's why, with struggling with the palm mute I'm looking for an artificial solution. Does someone make a gizmo for muting strings at the bridge, I wonder?
Old 09-10-2020, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

I’m sure someone does, or will, sell a partial string mute. (There’s a marketing opportunity)

I use the medial side of my hand, not the heel per se. I can mute the string or strings and remove as needed, plus I can do it with either a finger or a flat pick technique. Just work at it, it’ll come to you.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:11 AM

Using your thumb or the tip of your finger while it's fretting the A string ought to become second nature over time. It's really quite simple, and no device will ever be better than your own hands
Old 09-10-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascotia View Post
Using your thumb or the tip of your finger while it's fretting the A string ought to become second nature over time.
I've also resorted to using my fretting hand. I play with my thumbnail, which tends to elevate my right hand, and makes it tough to palm mute at the bridge. I'm happiest when I can use a light thumb wrap for muting.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Easier when using a thumb pick if you are open to trying that.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-10-2020, 12:29 PM

I keep my thumb at the middle of the fretboard, not resting it between my thumb and pointer finger, I'd that makes sense. I've always done this and it's a habit now.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I use the medial side of my hand, not the heel per se. I can mute the string or strings and remove as needed, plus I can do it with either a finger or a flat pick technique. Just work at it, it’ll come to you.
This for me as well. I used to flatten the heel of the hand onto the bridge. That reversed the natural angle of my wrist and changed the angle of attack for my fingers. It sucked and was uncomfortable. Now I try to roll my forearm and wrist a bit instead, which brings more of the side of my hand onto the bridge and keeps the same angle of attack and neutral wrist. I don't know if that's actually right, just what I've come up with through trial and error.

If I'm muting to get a percussive 'blues-style' pluck, I right-hand mute. If I'm muting to keep it from ringing when strummed, I prefer a left-hand mute.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
I keep my thumb at the middle of the fretboard, not resting it between my thumb and pointer finger, I'd that makes sense. I've always done this and it's a habit now.
Nope. Not making sense to me. Not getting an image, unless you mean fret hand thumb in classical position behind neck.

Just wondering if you're getting into a good or bad habit.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:32 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll have to try using my fretting hand and see what I can do but I do like the idea of a partial string mute. I'm less happy about using my right hand to mute in any way.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Nope. Not making sense to me. Not getting an image, unless you mean fret hand thumb in classical position behind neck.

Just wondering if you're getting into a good or bad habit.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
Excellent classical technique.
Pretty soon you'll get sloppy like the rest of us and start using thumb wraps.
They're actually useful, depending on what you're playing.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:55 PM

Agreed, excellent classical technique.

Doesn't do a thing for me though.

Tried that (classical technique), didn't like it, didn't progress with my playing.

DITCHED IT

Feel so much happier and have progressed so much further these days, more so than if i would have kept with the classical technique.

More power to those that can keep with the classical technique and progress as they desire.

MGF
Old 09-10-2020, 03:00 PM

You could put a small piece of foam right below the 6th string at the bridge right in front of the saddle since for that blues sound you probably need all the notes played

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write