The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-24-2020, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Here Comes the Sun - Doug Young

Hey Doug
Just watched the quartet piece of Here Comes the Sun on FaceBook, and checked and saw it is also on YouTube.

Can you please share the process of how you accomplished recreating this for posting online? I'm assuming the group played it live together in a single room and then re-created it for FaceBook/YouTube?

Also, how does one keep FaceBook or YouTube from flagging this for copyright?

What a great selection of instruments!

Thanks…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-24-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hey Doug
Just watched the quartet piece of Here Comes the Sun on FaceBook, and checked and saw it is also on YouTube.

Can you please share the process of how you accomplished recreating this for posting online? I'm assuming the group played it live together in a single room and then re-created it for FaceBook/YouTube?

Thanks…

I'll bet that they recorded their parts at their own homes separately. Like an Acapella app recording, but fancier.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Also, how does one keep FaceBook or YouTube from flagging this for copyright?
I thought you could record covers without any issues, maybe I'm wrong though, Larry. But there are hundreds of thousands of covers out there... unless it's the Eagles and I think they'll yank anything that even hints at one of their songs.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 08-24-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I'll bet that they recorded their parts at their own homes separately. Like an Acapella app recording, but fancier.
Bruce and Marla have the same background so maybe they played at different times.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 08-24-2020, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Hi David and David

Thanks for sharing. I know how I'd do it, but want to know how Doug did.

Am particularly interested in the © element, because videos with music get flagged frequently.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Hi Larry. Teja and I recorded the CD version (just the two of us) together in the same studio, tho I think I recorded my part first, then Teja added his as an overdub (not universally true on that CD - some tunes were recorded as one take together). We played it live once with Bruce and Marla at a house concert we did together, and it was just sort of a jam. We ran thru it once or twice before the show so they knew the structure. I think Bruce played a regular guitar or maybe a 12-string that time.

For this version, I recorded (video+audio) my part at my place, sent it on to Teja, who added his baritone part and recorded his video and audio at his place. I made a rough mix of the two, which we sent on to Marla and Bruce. They recorded and video'd each of their parts separately, even tho they're in their house together - they basically filmed each other. I then pulled all the videos together (1 each from Bruce and Marla, 2 multi-cam shoots each from me and Teja), and audio tracks. Mixed the audio in Logic, sync'd all the videos and edited in Final Cut, doing all the split screen stuff, adding titles, etc. Pretty straightforward, but a lot of passing video and audio files back and forth, and multiple camera shots to sync and keep track of. This one was easier than some to do the overdubs, since my part starts it off, and pretty much holds it together, so we didn't really need a click track or countoff to keep together. it's pretty much the same process as we used for the other video I posted last week of me and Teja (playing 2 guitars each) with Maurice Tani on his song.

As far as You Tube, they seem to handle covers quite well these days. For the CD as well as streaming (Spotify, etc), we got mechanicals from Harry Fox, but that doesn't cover You Tube. Instead, You Tube deals with this thru their content match. If they flag it, the copyright owner will have the option of doing nothing, slapping an ad on, or asking us to take it down. It's been up there about a week now (private, not public, but that doesn't stop the content match), and so far there's been no claim. Could still happen, so if you see an ad start appearing, you'll know why. There are lots of Beatles covers on You Tube, so I don't expect them to want it taken down. There are only a few copyright holders, from what I hear, that just say to take it down. instead, most just want to monetize it, which You Tube makes easy to do. But we'll see...
Old 08-24-2020, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Hi Doug

Thanks for the breakdown and all the important info.

Question…
When you are having others record video/audio for you to combine later, do you request specific format, frame-rate, resolution for video and same types of specs for matching audio?

I just learned that public or private YouTube/copyright holders can still flag it…I guess I was under the illusion that private posting was more protected.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 08-24-2020, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Doug

Thanks for the breakdown and all the important info.

Question…
When you are having others record video/audio for you to combine later, do you request specific format, frame-rate, resolution for video and same types of specs for matching audio?

No, things tend to be fairly universal. The audio we sent Marla and Bruce was 48Khz, and they noticed and matched that, but it wouldn't have mattered. I shot my video as 4K, on DLSRs, Teja did 1080 on DLSRs. Marla and Bruce did 1080 on an iphone. I did have a slight sync issue this time with Marla's video, but oddly not Bruce's. Something about variable rate video - I'd expect Final Cut to take care of this, but somehow it didn't, and no idea why it was only a problem with hers. Maurice Tani's video was also iphone, and I had no issue with that. But anyway, most of the time, the software just handles things. If I was recording studio-quality audio, I'd certainly suggest we all use the same specs to avoid conversions, but in this case, it's "good enough for you tube".

Quote:
I just learned that public or private YouTube/copyright holders can still flag it…I guess I was under the illusion that private posting was more protected.
When I did the sessions with Steve Baughman, I put up drafts for Steve to review as private or unlisted videos, and they were flagged immediately - by Steve's own ownership, which was pretty funny - it was within minutes. On the other hand, I continually get flagged for Shenandoah, which has been up for at least 10 years, so people are just how getting around to (erroneously) claiming it. That one's pretty crazy. The Rolling Stones claimed it once :-) Each time, I have to send a link to the library of congress listing of how it's a 200 year old public domain song, and it gets dropped.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

This is gorgeous! One of my absolute favorite pieces of music. Thank you.
Is that a baritone guitar?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 08-24-2020, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Teja is playing a baritone, built by Mario DeSio, yes. We did several tunes on our DUET CD with this combination, my baby Tony Yamamoto 12-string (tuned high), with his baritone, tuned low.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:38 PM

Interesting about Shenandoah. I posted it on Youtube a couple months ago so I'll have to keep and eye out for flags!
Anyone flagging that is bordering on ridiculous.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Interesting about Shenandoah. I posted it on Youtube a couple months ago so I'll have to keep and eye out for flags!
Anyone flagging that is bordering on ridiculous.
My guess is that the entire process is automated, and probably based on "signatures" sampled at various points, so it it might be something in my specific arrangement that's triggering a similarity, could be a fill lick or anything, really. Overall, the You Tube program is pretty cool, in that it provides a way to post covers while still protecting the owner's rights, all while avoiding banks of lawyers to get sync licenses. One thing that seems to be missing is anyway to get sort of "pre-cleared", kind of like the Known Traveller's program. It'd be nice if there was a way to verify that a tune is public domain, or original, once and for all, and have it excluded from their checks. But then I'd have missed out on the laugh when I got a claim from the Stones...
Old 08-24-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Hi David and David

Thanks for sharing. I know how I'd do it, but want to know how Doug did.

Am particularly interested in the © element, because videos with music get flagged frequently.

Often they flag it and stop you from monetizing it and the copyright holder monetizes it. Some shut you down.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I did have a slight sync issue this time with Marla's video, but oddly not Bruce's. Something about variable rate video - I'd expect Final Cut to take care of this, but somehow it didn't, and no idea why it was only a problem with hers. Maurice Tani's video was also iphone, and I had no issue with that.
I've had the same issue bringing videos from multiple sources into Adobe Premiere Pro as well. Even though iPhone video is the one that says it's variable frame rate, sometimes it's the other clips that get affected for some reason. It may depend on which clip you bring in first which sets the parameters for the whole edit. I did find that running vfr clips through a converter called Handbrake (free) to constant frame rate first fixed the audio sync issues.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Teja is playing a baritone, built by Mario DeSio, yes. We did several tunes on our DUET CD with this combination, my baby Tony Yamamoto 12-string (tuned high), with his baritone, tuned low.
Hi Doug
I really appreciated the credits listing instruments and tunings (I used to read backs of album covers, CD covers and other sources of credits).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD