The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-27-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm321 View Post
Another possibility to reduce CPU usage in GB: tracks can be locked (instead of being taken up into RAM when the project is opened, locked tracks remain on the hard drive, and are played directly from the HD, thereby freeing up RAM and possibly CPU usage). I typically lock rhythm tracks like drums, bass, strummed guitars etc. Locked tracks cannot be edited, but they can be unlocked if editing is necessary.

Logic has the same feature, called Freezing.
Great point. I am aware of this feature in both DAWs but rarely use it since I generally just record acoustic guitar with or without voice. For folks who do bigger projects (more tracks) your suggestion is a good one.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:40 PM

Although I have not tried GB (because I'm running Windows these days) I have used several other DAW software packages. I've settled on Cubase Elements and found that it hardly registers on the CPU performance meter. Under worst conditions, maybe it adds 3-7% for brief periods. I've also noticed that many software packages automatically update themselves and from time to time, a particular version might use a little more CPU than a previous or future version.

In every case, I've learned that shutting off all unnecessary software helps prevent pops and clicks. Also, switching or sharing the audio between the DAW software and other audio-related applications leads to an eventual glitch that's best remedied with a reboot.

FWIW, I'm running Win 7 on a desktop version of an i7 4790k processor. Most of my serious apps are for CAD/CAM and mechanical/thermodynamic simulation which tend to require dozens of times more processing power than any DAW SW I've encountered. I've also given-up on doing serious work on laptop workstations as they simply don't have the horsepower to hack thru the CAD/CAM and thermodynamic simulation software -not by a wide margin.

Ray
Old 02-28-2016, 03:12 PM

Im having the same problem with a brand new iMac (jan 2016). I get a high CPU percentage, upto 200% sometimes and then get the spinning wheel screen freeze. Apple support been looking at it now for over a month and have not fathomed it yet.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:16 PM

Im having the same problem with a brand new iMac (jan 2016). I get a high CPU percentage, upto 200% sometimes and then get the spinning wheel screen freeze. Apple support been looking at it now for over a month and have not fathomed it yet. Have you had any feedback from apple?
Old 02-28-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrfrancis View Post
Im having the same problem with a brand new iMac (jan 2016). I get a high CPU percentage, upto 200% sometimes and then get the spinning wheel screen freeze. Apple support been looking at it now for over a month and have not fathomed it yet. Have you had any feedback from apple?
I'm sorry to read that you're having problems with GB but your issue is just another confirmation of that software's voracious appetite for processing power. Because I rarely use GB and haven't personally experienced problems with it on those rare occasions when I have submitting an enquiry to Apple has not made my "to do" list. So no, I've had no contact with Apple about GB's CPU usage. That said, I sure hope Apple Support comes through for you.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrfrancis View Post
Im having the same problem with a brand new iMac (jan 2016). I get a high CPU percentage, upto 200% sometimes and then get the spinning wheel screen freeze. Apple support been looking at it now for over a month and have not fathomed it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
I'm sorry to read that you're having problems with GB but your issue is just another confirmation of that software's voracious appetite for processing power. Because I rarely use GB and haven't personally experienced problems with it on those rare occasions when I have submitting an enquiry to Apple has not made my "to do" list. So no, I've had no contact with Apple about GB's CPU usage. That said, I sure hope Apple Support comes through for you.
So here's a thought if your both on El Capitan I wonder if that could be the issue
Does anybody know if the issue pre dates El Cap? I know it has been very problematic for Pro Tools and even some Apple apps. There is a thread on the Digi user forum about it and it seems that some Retina displays and definitely the new iMacs with fusion drive have had exactly this CPU issue.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-29-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So here's a thought if your both on El Capitan I wonder if that could be the issue
Does anybody know if the issue pre dates El Cap? I know it has been very problematic for Pro Tools and even some Apple apps. There is a thread on the Digi user forum about it and it seems that some Retina displays and definitely the new iMacs with fusion drive have had exactly this CPU issue.
There may be some merit to the idea that El Capitan exacerbates the CPU problem but here's an Apple Support link going back several years that outlines the same issue going way back to OS 10.5.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2711008?tstart=0
Also, when I ran my little Activity Monitor test comparing CPU usage in GB to Logic I had already upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
cpu, daw, garageband