The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-10-2011, 03:42 PM

Fran, you're like a mad scientist!

That's interesting for sure, and listening to this now, it makes sense. Though there have definitely been times in the past when I could hear a very clear difference between the 360p audio and the 480p audio.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:30 PM

I just happened to see this thread!

Very interesting, I'm using Kodak Zi8 for video and Zoom q3HD as the external mic for about a year now (I think), and happy with the result.

Now I'm shopping around for the talent
Old 10-27-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napman View Post
I just happened to see this thread!

Very interesting, I'm using Kodak Zi8 for video and Zoom q3HD as the external mic for about a year now (I think), and happy with the result.

Now I'm shopping around for the talent
So you're only using the Q3HD as the external mic for the Zi8? Do you also record video on the Q3HD? That seems like an odd choice just as an external mic for the Zi8 - why not just use the Q3HD by itself?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
So you're only using the Q3HD as the external mic for the Zi8? Do you also record video on the Q3HD? That seems like an odd choice just as an external mic for the Zi8 - why not just use the Q3HD by itself?
Hi Ferg,

I mostly used Q3 as external mic for Zi8. But sometimes I just wanted to test my performances and I was too lazy to attach the cable so I used only Q3 for video/audio. I found out that Q3 works best for me when I put it as close as possible to me (and my acoustic guitar) when recording so I ended up put it so close.

http://youtu.be/ywOTSil6dHM

The reason I don't use Q3 alone by itself mainly is I don't really like the video quality. To my eyes I much preferred Zi8 video quality.

http://youtu.be/X6k2cFvhLDI

Last edited by napman; 10-28-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:05 AM

Napman,

I'd been using a Zi8 and a Zoom H2 or H4n in conjunction for some time. Lately, though, I realized that I had been recording a lot of gigs with my Zoom in the same basic location as the Zi8. For stuff I record at home, I always put the recording device closer, but when I'm playing out, that's not always possible due to space, power or time limitations.

So, I got a Q3HD thinking that, for those gigs, I would just put the Q3HD out there...run it on batteries if necessary and be done. However...I agree - the Zi8 has, to my eye, superior video quality. The Q3HD looks somewhat washed out to me. I haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet, and this may be something that can be corrected after the fact (I hope).

Another thing I've run into with the Q3HD is that the audio and video seem to be slightly out of sync. I've upgraded the firmware, and run some tests, and i hope it's fixed, but I haven't had a chance to do a real test. This isn't a huge deal. Syncing in post is not that difficult, and it still allows me to record on one device from one spot.

However, all of this is why, when I asked, I always recommend a Kodak Zi8 combined with a Zoom H2. Together, they're cheaper than the Q3HD, the video quality is better, and you get more flexibility.

Of course, the Zi8 has been discontinued. I also picked up a Kodak Zx5 and have found the video to be as good as the Zi8, but it doesn't have the external mic port. However, if you do what I do - record audio on a separate device when using these Kodak cameras, that's a non-issue.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=ferg;2807526]Napman,

However, all of this is why, when I asked, I always recommend a Kodak Zi8 combined with a Zoom H2. Together, they're cheaper than the Q3HD, and you get more flexibility.

QUOTE]

Hi ferg,

Do you have any particular reasons for recommend Zoom H2 other than it's cheaper than Q3HD? I happen to have H2 also, but as I recalled the setting at Q3HD (that I normally set) are superior than H2. I set Q3HD as follow;

Format = PCM
Sample rate = 96 kHz
Bit Length = 24 bit

How do you set your H2? I may try to play around with it again
Thanks.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Hi ferg,

Do you have any particular reasons for recommend Zoom H2 other than it's cheaper than Q3HD? I happen to have H2 also, but as I recalled the setting at Q3HD (that I normally set) are superior than H2. I set Q3HD as follow;

Format = PCM
Sample rate = 96 kHz
Bit Length = 24 bit

How do you set your H2? I may try to play around with it again
Thanks.
The only reason I recommend it to those who don't have anything is because it's cheaper. I find the recording quality to be very good. If you're not going to use the camera, I don't see the point of getting a Q3HD over an H2. Now, I also have an H4n, which is what I typically use, as I believe the miss to have a slight edge over the H2 (and I think are the same as the Q3HD), but it's not a night and day difference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD