The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Ok, I'll bite! The 814ce DLX V-class:

Gotoh 510s, and a streaky Ebony fretboard and headstock veneer:

Look closely at the Maple edge binding on the soundhole - and the abalone rosette. Top binding (seen clearly on the cutaway) is also Maple and Rosewood. I also like the Rosewood pickguard.

Beveled EIR armrest, bordered with Maple:

The EIR Back and Sides are nice -- Not a great pic of the back, but check out the sides
I have one just like yours. My neck almost looks like rosewood, very light streaking. Similar grain on back and sides. Workman ship is flawless...

they are lovely guitars aren't they??!!
Old 09-21-2020, 11:56 AM

Default Stefan Sobell top Cuvature

Sobell top and back plates are not flat, but arch over radiused braces.
Makes the guitar more comfortable imo and I suspect its also a big factor in the sound which is much to my liking.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-21-2020, 01:36 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I have one just like yours. My neck almost looks like rosewood, very light streaking. Similar grain on back and sides. Workman ship is flawless...

they are lovely guitars aren't they??!!
Indeed. I've checked every square inch and there are no flaws whatsoever, And the tone is wonderful.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 09-21-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Unique things about your favorite guitar model you own that you like best?

... not sure it qualifies, but I changed out the tuner buttons and bridge pins on my 314ce to ebony w/sapele accents from Bill Charis ... not a big thing, but I think it classes it up a bit and makes it somewhat unique ...
IMG_1600719521.409916.jpg
IMG_1600719605.988725.jpg

* I also swapped out the tuners on my 612ce for Schaller GrandTunes in vintage copper finish with ebony buttons ... I do like them much better with that guitar’s aesthetics, but that mod was one born of necessity, as when I received it, two of the tuners were a little “wonky” (yes that’s the technical term) ...

Last edited by Ludere; 09-21-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:14 PM

Ludere - it absolutely "classes it up" as you say. My new Martin 00 comes with wood buttons (I think they may be flamed koa IIRC) and I'm now a fan of wood tuner buttons.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-21-2020, 06:25 PM

This Jake Robinson SJ is unique to start with, as it has an exceptional Bear Claw Sitka top with figured Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood back and sides. Made the arm rest myself. Added custom tuner buttons and custom made the saddle myself also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0015.jpg (34.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0021.jpg (49.3 KB, 98 views)
Old 09-22-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Indeed. I've checked every square inch and there are no flaws whatsoever, And the tone is wonderful.
For sure, there IS something to this V-Class... I don't think it's a placebo.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:46 AM

Mine is a 1942 Gibson J50. What is unique is the bracing. While Gibson went to a scalloped X brace on all models in 1941 mine has a slight taper bracing. A deep rumbly low end which would give a Pre-War Martin D28 run for cover with a J35--esque midrange. The second generation luthier who fixed it up for me said his father used to call these "once in a blue moon Gibsons."

Last edited by zombywoof; 09-22-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:26 AM

My New Hartford-built burst Guild F50R that I picked up off reverb came with the added subtle bling of emeralds atop the bridge pins and tuning posts. The F50R was already a holy grail guitar without the emeralds, but with those sparkly green gems, it's surely a holy grail touched by angels.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 09-22-2020, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

My 65 Epiphone Texan, for many of the reasons most would hate it. Ceramic adjustable bridge imparts a certain zing to the trebles, skinny neck fits my smaller hands, longer scale length makes for a snappier than J 45 tone, and the bass is superb but dry instead of boomy. It can be controlled so as not to compete with voice.

Would I rather have a 39 J 35? You bet I would. But the Texan sounds old at a quarter the price.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-23-2020, 02:33 PM

Mark, that's a truly beautiful guitar!

Quote:
Ok, I'll bite! The 814ce DLX V-class:

Gotoh 510s, and a streaky Ebony fretboard and headstock veneer:

Look closely at the Maple edge binding on the soundhole - and the abalone rosette. Top binding (seen clearly on the cutaway) is also Maple and Rosewood. I also like the Rosewood pickguard.

Beveled EIR armrest, bordered with Maple:

The EIR Back and Sides are nice -- Not a great pic of the back, but check out the sides
Old 09-23-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Mark, that's a truly beautiful guitar!
Agreed. I like Martin more than Taylor but this beautifully crafted guitar makes me envious.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:15 PM

I can't answer because I don't have one favorite.
I honestly have 3 equally-favorite guitars.

1977 Guild D-55
2000 Martin HD-28
2015 Gibson ES-335 Custom Shop Signature.

In a house fire if I could not grab all 3 I'm sure I'd burn up standing there deciding.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:19 PM

Okay I know I went already with my Lakewood M32 rosette in the last page. But I wanted to share my newest which has some cool features (not fully unique as it's a Taylor, so yeah, lots of them out there).

My new K14c v-class Builders Edition:

It's got the armrest bevel *and* a cutaway bevel. You know, for all those times I'm shredding metal solos on the 20th fret. Also love the vine inlay. Like the cutaway bevel, not unique, but limited to Builders Editions (thus far, but I'm sure it will make its way down the product lines shortly). I'm torn on the silent satin finish. It feels nicer to play, and I like how it's quiet when I move my arm on it, and also so far it's much less prone to fingerprints, etc. than gloss. But man, does Koa respond best to a gloss finish (aesthetically speaking). Oddly, I may have been okay with a silent satin top and gloss back and sides.

Note they put the strap pin on the back because they smoothed out the transition from the neck to cutaway to allow for that 20th fret metal-shred capability! I love the look of the 2-piece Koa back, which I liked better than the 3 piece on a K14ce that was also in the group I auditioned when I bought my K14c.

The only difference between the K14 should have been the lack of ES2 pickup. But this guitar projected so much better, and sounded way livelier than the ce version (and yes they were both freshly strung with Elixir PB Nanoweb lights by the dealer for my by-appointment audition, and action was within 1/64 of an inch between the two of them). Even the shop owner was taken aback by how much better it sounded when compared to one another. We theorized that, since this was a special order (Taylor's site doesn't list a K14c, the K14ce is the only version on their website) that it must have gone through a slightly different process (similar to how Martin's Custom Shop order goes through a different set of craftspeople) and people who did the wood selection and put it together did a superlative job. I went in there convinced I was going to get a D-18 MD (which I also auditioned and is a darned fine instrument). But I walked out with this.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-24-2020, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

What makes my J-17 unique?

Well, it's the only J-17 ever made, and since Martin is no longer making Custom Shop guitars based on any thing below Standard Series, it will probably be the only one they ever make. It's a great guitr to play, with a big open sound.

I've since gotten a J-40 and having these two guitars all of my guitar dreams has come true

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion