The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-19-2020, 08:31 AM

Default New Songs to Play

I'm stuck in a rut, I can't find anything else I want to play. I mostly play fingerstyle blues.

I'm an intermediate guitarist. Over the last month I learned St James Infirmary and Death Don't Have no Mercy. I like both because they aren't bouncy, chipper tunes, instead they are sort of serious and maybe a little sad.

Anyone have some recommendations for where to go next? Preferably something with a tab and an online lesson, I have no problem with paying for good instruction.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:52 AM

https://www.daddystovepipe.com/

Also check out his videos on YouTube.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

The other night I fell into a fingerstyle arrangement of "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" by Kirk Lorange. He has a YouTube lesson on it. It has a nice vibe and is pretty quick to learn.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 09-20-2020, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs2 View Post
I'm stuck in a rut, I can't find anything else I want to play. I mostly play fingerstyle blues.

I'm an intermediate guitarist. Over the last month I learned St James Infirmary and Death Don't Have no Mercy. I like both because they aren't bouncy, chipper tunes, instead they are sort of serious and maybe a little sad.

Anyone have some recommendations for where to go next? Preferably something with a tab and an online lesson, I have no problem with paying for good instruction.
This would be the best $20 you ever spent. Just don't start with the first song (to me it isn't very bluesy and a little "crunchy" to play)

Woody Mann's Complete Blues Guitar Method

51 tunes (You download the mp3's to your computer from a link given in the book). Great stuff. All different tunings so if you just play in standard now it will open doors for you.

Also Homespun has a lot of great stuff in the form of "instant lessons." You can use Homespun's desktop app to play the lessons or use the Purple website which allows you to play the lessons on multiple devices.

Also check out Toby Walker's website.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write