The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-06-2016, 04:01 AM

Cool Guitar. It's on the Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction."

The Subdudes also use one.

Not as "look at me" as many Martins, but very solid rhythm piece.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 01-13-2017, 08:31 AM

Fran Guidry makes a good point. Those mics on your H6 are going to be as good as the bargain small condensers. Since the H6 comes with the small diaphragm mics, I wouldn't bother adding more of those to start.

You are in bad rooms, and so, I would not think your multi pattern mic choices will serve you well. They are fun to play with, but you're paying for a lot of features you don't need/can't use in a bad room. Unless you add one of those reelection things, which often simply add more sonic issues than they solve.

NT2A is great, but you might do better with the simpler NT1 - Kit, redesigned NT1 mic. Gives you a large diaphragm option, which your H6 doesn't have, and gives you what you need if you want to add vocals.

Another option, since your rooms are bad, is just a simple SM57, Audix i5, or better still the zen pro audio modded SM57 with the T58 transformer in it, or a ribbon mic. Something with a totally different sonic character, a d ynamic mic. These sound great with my J35 and other big Dreads I've used, and they perform better in a bad room.
$0.025
Old 01-13-2017, 11:17 AM

Just as an example, here are a couple of clips with audio recorded using the H6 XY mics:

In fact, here's a playlist with all the videos I've done using the XY mics: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...B_F3v1nnFucsWk

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 01-14-2017, 02:19 AM

Fran, I love the Waimea Lullaby! Great recording and beautifully played.

I recently bought a Zoom H5. The pre-amps are supposedly the same as the H6 and the x/y mic is very similar.

This was my first music recording with the H5, an improv into the x/y mic and then using the 'overdub' facility I played along. A high pass filter and a smidge of reverb added later, and I flipped the L/R of guitar #2. The distortion sound is actually the cedar top of the Smallman guitar overloading, not the recording.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:17 AM

I find that with proper mic placement my J45 is very easy to record it often times needs little or no eq. I know it goes against the grain here but I'm not a fan of always throwing two mics on an acoustic guitar sometimes it works and sometimes it's not needed depending on what you're going for
Old 01-14-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
Fran, I love the Waimea Lullaby! Great recording and beautifully played.

I recently bought a Zoom H5. The pre-amps are supposedly the same as the H6 and the x/y mic is very similar.

This was my first music recording with the H5, an improv into the x/y mic and then using the 'overdub' facility I played along. A high pass filter and a smidge of reverb added later, and I flipped the L/R of guitar #2. The distortion sound is actually the cedar top of the Smallman guitar overloading, not the recording.

I enjoyed that clip when you posted somewhere else, now I can't remember which forum we're both visiting.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 01-16-2017, 06:34 PM

I say CAD M179. I believe Fran Guidry either has or had at least one of them at some point. They sound flat and boring, but if you want to really hear the guitar's character over that of the microphone, then that's a good thing. I just purchased my second one after having owned my first one for something like 6 years. I wanted a pair of mics to do stereo setups and it was either the CAD M179 or the Oktava MK-012. I recommend the latter too, by the way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
microphone j-45