The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-11-2015, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
…I am now wondering if -- since the time I tried them -- the Zoom products have simplified the user interface?
Hi P…

Yes, they have simplified the basic functions on the simplest models (H1 and H2n). If I handed you my H2n without instructions, you'd have it up and running and recording in under 20 seconds (quicker than that after the first time). Yet, complex capability lurks in the menu section…things an average user may never care about.

They have added complex, and extensive, built-in capability on the upper end models, and the high end Zoom handheld recorders do far more than the average digital recorder. I've seen professional video shoots where Zoom H1 recorders are secreted behind objects on a table being used as remote capture mics.

And the sound quality of the simple H1 and H2n are superb.

All their models can function as a USB mic, or even a full computer interface too on the upper end models (they even supply 48v phantom power with Neutrik input).

Zoom digital recorders can be all used like a point-n-shoot camera, or internally set to do complex tasks. They regularly update the firmware to improve, fix and add functions to their recorders.

When it comes to digital recorders, the ability to capture digital audio is just step one. Next is getting it into a computer, or into useful form to do something with it. Zooms do it in a straight forward manner.

They also still support models which have been updated and replaced in the line.

All these things make them more desirable to me.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 02-11-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
…all the recorders i find have more steps than that involved or don't have an SD card. anyone have any suggestions?
Hi Patti…

The Zoom H1 does have a mini-SD card, and it can even be plugged in directly via USB to the computer without removing the card (your choice). I have had students use these with great success.

I now see reporters and sports interviewers using them on sidelines to talk with/record people for remote mic capability. It's because they are simple and quick to use.

It is literally a scratch pad recording device, with a camera tripod socket on it which makes it easier to position for quick recording than a mic stand adapter.

In fact, you can drop it on a table and point the mics at yourself and hit record and you're good to go.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-11-2015, 12:12 PM

I'll echo the idea of using a smartphone or tablet to record simple demos and ideas. I use an app on my Blackberry that works well, records to wave and allows me to export or email easily. I've been working on FAWM this month and all my demos were made that way. One button record, one button stop/save.

- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Old 02-12-2015, 08:08 AM

Have you heard about the Line6 Backtrack? It is a really basic little tool: It records whatever you play, and when you like what you did, there is a big red button on it to mark the part of the recording. You can copy the soundfiles to your Computer via USB. They have a version with only 6,3mm input and another one with an additional built-in microphone.

Regards
Michi
Old 02-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
we've owned a few multi track recorders and others, but my husband wants something REALLY simple for when he's coming up with new riffs/songs. he says he doesn't want to have to read the manual, and isn't looking for great sound quality or multiple tracks - he just wants to push a record button and record, then hit stop, take out the SD card and plug it into his computer.

all the recorders i find have more steps than that involved or don't have an SD card. anyone have any suggestions?
Hi Patti…

One of the things I like about the H1 & other simple small recorders is portability.

I know I get inspiration in the craziest places - like riding in the car or sitting on the porch, and a Zoom H1 fits in very small places. As to the quality, I'm surprised how good these little digital recorders are.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 02-12-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
Are you using the built-in mics? When I compared models in the past, the PCM-M10 was faulted for having two fixed omnidirectional mics, whereas the Zoom H2n has two cardioid mics which give a good stereo image in XY mode. (Actually, the H2n has five mics total for a variety of patterns.)

On the other hand the Sony is supposed to be noticeably quieter.
I am using the built in mics.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 02-12-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmatt1972 View Post
I'll echo the idea of using a smartphone or tablet to record simple demos and ideas. I use an app on my Blackberry that works well, records to wave and allows me to export or email easily. I've been working on FAWM this month and all my demos were made that way. One button record, one button stop/save.
If he has a smartphone I would really consider this.

From your original post it sounded like he just needed a something to jot down ideas and for that I don't see the need to go to a hand held recorder.

I can be anywhere and if an idea hits me I record it in my phone, upload it to the cloud and listen to it in my studio or any device. I do have a Tacam hand held recorder that I use for more critical stuff but for ideas this is revolutionary to me compared to the old days of using a portable cassette player and the boxes of cassettes I still have.

Last edited by Woodstock School Of Music; 02-12-2015 at 09:47 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD