The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-29-2019, 07:20 AM

Default My EB Music Man is the best electric I have ever owned

I got a EB Music Man Axis Super Sport earlier in the year and after countless hours of practicing, noodling, jamming and playing live I have to say it's the absolute best electric guitar I have ever owned or played. For our most recent gig, I was trying to choose what backup to bring just in case of a string break. I have my PRS Custom 22 that I bought brand new in 97' and have played the most since then, my awesome Tele and my custom made Strat. I have a sweet all hog Epiphone but don't ever consider playing it at a show. Since I have not played the others much, if at all, since I got the Axis, I played each one to make a decision. I chose to bring the Strat but was praying that I didn't break a string as all I wanted to play was the EBMM. Fortunately about 4 hours and 43 songs later, no string break and I was happy as a clam.

I post this for no other reason than to give MM some love. I love the looks of the Axis, I love the tone of the stock pickups, I love the placement of the pickup switch, I love the 4 over 2 headstock but most of all I absolutely love the neck on it. Granted I have somewhat smaller hands but I have never in my life felt a neck that feels so perfect to me. Not only in size but whatever they do to give em that raw sort of feel. I've always been hooked on glossy necks like all three of the above mentioned guitars but the MM feel is so special.

If you have never played a EBMM, try one out the next time you see one. I think you'll instantly realize what makes their guitars different.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:30 AM

Thanks for that report. I've never tried a MM, but have consistently read from others that "the necks are thin." By that, and since guitarists don't seem aware of the word "narrow" and apply "thin" to both dimensions, I assume something like a 1 5/8 nut, or a sub .80 first fret depth - maybe both. I've scoured MM's materials, but no guidance there, so no MM for me, at least so far!

I'll try one if it comes into view, though.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Nice guitar I have yet to play one but look forward to doing so. I also have small hands so a thin neck profile is what I favor

Johnny Hiland's main guitar was Music Man Axis Sport before getting his signature deal with Kiesel in 2018

This is a 2016 "Rig Rundown" where he talks about it

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-29-2019, 02:10 PM

I love Johnny H. Is all I got to say.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
The man is definitely a "Nashville Cat"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-29-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Yep, I'm a big fan also!
Old 08-30-2019, 06:47 AM

I love Johnny as well. Been following him for a long time. I've been curious how much the necks on his Kiesel's resemble the ones on his MM Sports. I really don't know much about his time with MM but I think he owned two Sports. Had they already stopped making them by the time he got to MM? Even though I was a huge PRS fan at the time he was with them, to this day I've never played a PRS JH model.

My Super Sport is 41.3 at the nut which is the narrowest of any full size guitar I own. It may also be the narrowest of any Music Man.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:07 AM

After playing the usual suspects for several years + "boutique" guitars (e.g. D'Pergo), I've settled firmly on EBMM.

They are very well made, great VFM, are very comfortable, and have a "vibe" that I just don't find in other electrics.

Indeed, I bought my daughter an Axis SS and I have an EVH and a Cutlass.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-30-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

They’re indeed very nice guitars. On all fronts. My bass player has a EBMM bass that sounds killer.

And, if someone wanted to enter the MM world, Sterling is a great option.

I owned an Axis AX40D that was fantastic. The Dimarzio pickups that came in it only came in that model and the “real” EB Axis. I also owned a Sterling “Luke” model that had fantastic Dimarzios in it. Like the Axis AX40D...the LK Dimarzios we’re only available in that model.

IMHO The Sterling “Sub” line is not noteworthy. But, the other Sterling models are a great value.

Are the the same quality as EBMM...in a word...no. But, are they fantastic guitars that give you the feel of EB guitars...indeed!

Congrats on your discovery. You’ve chosen well, Sir.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 08-30-2019, 01:31 PM

Hey Marley, I've read nothing but great things about EB Music Man although I've never played one. What kind of music do you play on it?
Old 08-31-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Marley, I've read nothing but great things about EB Music Man although I've never played one. What kind of music do you play on it?
Hey Dru. I’d say predominantly reggae kind of style with jammin kind of lead work. Kind of funky sort of stuff. My board might say it all wah >B9 organ>envelope filter >phaser>flanger>delay. But mainly play cleanish and mainly use the middle pickup selection. Here’s some, we just play for fun and the love of music and for free! 😀https://youtu.be/0giZOac8Z6I
Old 08-31-2019, 11:10 AM

I love the EB MM guitars, especially the Axis. But I’ve never understood the insane price tag. They just seem way higher than most other guitars.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I love the EB MM guitars, especially the Axis. But I’ve never understood the insane price tag. They just seem way higher than most other guitars.
I think mine retails for about $2,600. Still less than my PRS. I bought mine used. The guy wanted $1,600. I offered $1,200 and he accepted. Worth every penny. Used might be the way to go. I see many mint ones offered for reasonable prices.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
I think mine retails for about $2,600. Still less than my PRS. I bought mine used. The guy wanted $1,600. I offered $1,200 and he accepted. Worth every penny. Used might be the way to go. I see many mint ones offered for reasonable prices.
Those are good prices. I was thinking of the new ones that go for around $3k.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars