The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-31-2019, 07:08 PM

Default New (to me) Gretsch G5420TG

About three weeks ago I bought a used Gretsch G5420TG Electromatic in white. It's a 2018 model, so it has the latest stuff. When I bought it, it looked like it had a divot-like scratch in the pick guard. After I got it home, I looked closer, and found that no one had removed the protective plastic sheet! The pick guard is perfect!

After lowering the action at the nut, adjusting the neck relief, and putting a new set of D'Addario GCG25 flat wound strings on it, it plays and sounds great!

Yesterday I ordered a Bugera V22 Infinium tube amp and a set of JJ tubes to replace the factory tubes.

So far, I love this guitar and I can't put it down. When I play out (I played a gig Friday and I play a few open mics) people come up to me to tell me how good the Gretsch sounds, even with my crappy Line 6 amp. (Hmm, maybe I should be offended--the compliment the guitar, not my playing!)

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-31-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
About three weeks ago I bought a used Gretsch G5420TG Electromatic in white...When I play out (I played a gig Friday and I play a few open mics) people come up to me to tell me how good the Gretsch sounds, even with my crappy Line 6 amp...
Speaking as a lifetime Gretsch owner, people are so used to the default Fender/Gibson tonalities that a Gretsch comes as a total revelation - and, as such, IME it's a little harder for most electric players weaned on the "Big 2" to bring out their best. You've already found out that they require a different setup - you're also going to find out that they require a different technique; the smooth-yet-chimey "great Gretsch sound" can be very unforgiving when compared to most other makes (especially in a hollowbody platform), and while this means you can cut through a thick arrangement without increasing volume (or push your tube amp into its "sweet-spot zone" without breakup) any technical deficiencies will also be highlighted with embarrassing clarity. Sure you can just take a Gretsch out of its case and pound away as you would with most other brands, but with a little bit of quality get-acquainted time - of which I'd also devote some to listening to the brand's foremost proponents (Chet Atkins, Jimmie Webster, George Harrison, Brian Setzer, etc.) to help get a handle on the tonal/technical capabilities and idiosyncrasies...
Old 09-01-2019, 06:09 PM

Congratulations on the 5420 and V22 setup!!!!
If you're new to Gretsch, you will fall in love with that guitar.....
Old 09-01-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
If you're new to Gretsch, you will fall in love with that guitar.....
I already have!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-01-2019, 06:32 PM

Congrats Patrick! Enjoy your Gretsch and you soon to have Bugera. Let us know how those two sound together.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Yes indeed. Gretsch guitars are unique and produce some fantastic tones. Sometimes, as mentioned, playing styles/abilities are highlighted and may need to be honed/refined. And, Bigsby equipped models may need some “assistance” to be tamed.

But, imho they’re one of the greatest sounding, playing, and well built guitars available. And, not EVERYONE has one.

Having owned numerous Gibson, Fenders, and everything in between...once I bought a Gretsch I wondered why I’d waited so long. To me, they’re like a “good” Gibson acoustic. Another I waited too long to add to the stable. Once you hear that tone...it’s hard to be satisfied with anything else. Ymmv and all that.

Congrats on a great new rig! Welcome to the wonderful world of “That Gretsch Sound”.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars