The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 08:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
interesting. I wouldn't have expected that it would be so easy to go over the top of epoxy.
I'm no chemist but I think cured epoxy has some sort of wax in it that floats to the surface. I failed to mention this in previous posts but I find it helpful, after the 320 scuff, to wash the entire surface with DA prior to the seal coat. Some epoxies can cause fish eye issues if not properly cleaned and sealed before final clear coating.

Joe White passed on a helpful tip that he uses ONLY white Bounty paper towels for wash down. Some paper towels have ink dyes or softening agents that can cause finish problems.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
I think the first guy to apply an epoxy coating on a guitar was Elvis in "Clam Bake!"
Was it epoxy or 1/4" thick western tooled saddle leather? Gotta love the tap tone of a nice tanned leather.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Was it epoxy or 1/4" thick western tooled saddle leather? Gotta love the tap tone of a nice tanned leather.
LOL definitely epoxy (in the movie!) He was a chemist in the movie, who raced speed boats, and demonstrated to his friend how strong the boat finish was by striking the face of his guitar.... with a HAMMER!

Weird though about the waterslide. Never did one over paint however...

Edit: correction, I have applied waterslide decals on model cars, and don't recall that happening after clearing over...
Old 05-11-2016, 10:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Weird though about the waterslide. Never did one over paint however...

Edit: correction, I have applied waterslide decals on model cars, and don't recall that happening after clearing over...
Perhaps our visual standards weren't as high back in those days
Old 05-12-2016, 11:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Wet sanding between sessions:

Now that everything is all dull its time for the final spraying session.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Final coats are cured so its time for the masked man of the Midwest to make all the parts nice and shiny.

This pose reminds me of two reasons why I dislike standing at the buffing wheel:
1) Its hard on the lower back. While I am stooped over, the buffing wheel is always pulling down on the part I am buffing which loads my lower back. My back is usually sore for a few days after buffing.
2) The constant fear of a part going air borne and landing in a different shape than it was when I held it a few moments before

Old 05-13-2016, 05:02 PM

Tim, my very thoughts looking at those pics were of how many guitars I would probably lose trying to do that.
So ya, pretty much i'll leave that to the pros like you.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
Tim, my very thoughts looking at those pics were of how many guitars I would probably lose trying to do that.
So ya, pretty much i'll leave that to the pros like you.

Me, too. I remember one moment very well.

It was years ago when I heard a "clunk - clunk" in the corner of the shop where nobody was working. The only noise just moments before that jolt was the swoosh of the buffing wheel. Suddenly, the wheel stopped. I glanced back in that area as any wife would do to be sure Tim was in the upright position and ok. I was clueless why the guitar wasn't in his hands. I stood and cautiously looked further around the corner. Having never experienced this first hand I couldn't figure out why, after all that diligent work, did the guitar get set in an area where it could get scratched.

My brain clicked in to quietly observe. I knew to keep my mouth shut and give a few minutes of silence. It all made more sense when I saw a grown man get tight lipped, squint his eyes, put his hands in the air, duck his head, shake it in a, "OHHHH, NOOO!!! Did that really just happen?" fashion, take a seriously breath a deeeeeeep breath and walk to the wood room where he closed the door behind him.

Fortunately, if I remember right, it was with his own experimental spec guitar so he didn't owe an explanation to anyone but himself. It made him highly aware that buffing wheel has no qualms of reaching out to show a luthier who is stronger.

I share this experience to all who has never handled a buffing wheel. Be highly aware that hindsight offers 20/20 vision. Learn from our mistakes!

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Me, too. I remember one moment very well.

It was years ago when I heard a "clunk - clunk" in the corner of the shop where nobody was working. The only noise just moments before that jolt was the swoosh of the buffing wheel. Suddenly, the wheel stopped. I glanced back in that area as any wife would do to be sure Tim was in the upright position and ok. I was clueless why the guitar wasn't in his hands. I stood and cautiously looked further around the corner. Having never experienced this first hand I couldn't figure out why, after all that diligent work, did the guitar get set in an area where it could get scratched.

My brain clicked in to quietly observe. I knew to keep my mouth shut and give a few minutes of silence. It all made more sense when I saw a grown man get tight lipped, squint his eyes, put his hands in the air, duck his head, shake it in a, "OHHHH, NOOO!!! Did that really just happen?" fashion, take a seriously breath a deeeeeeep breath and walk to the wood room where he closed the door behind him.

Fortunately, if I remember right, it was with his own experimental spec guitar so he didn't owe an explanation to anyone but himself. It made him highly aware that buffing wheel has no qualms of reaching out to show a luthier who is stronger.

I share this experience to all who has never handled a buffing wheel. Be highly aware that hindsight offers 20/20 vision. Learn from our mistakes!
If you build enough guitars it's bound to happen

Great story about Jimmy D'Aquisto.....
When he was working for John D'Angelico a customer came in to buy a guitar. Aside from selling the handmade D"Angelico guitars, they also sold factory made Favilla brand guitars. As he was selling the guitar to the customer D'angelico noticed a small scratch on it and asked D'Aquisto to polish it out on the buffer. He told Jimmy to take off the strap before he buffed it and Jimmy didn't. The buffer grabbed the guitar and smashed it to pieces. Johh cursed out Jimmy and handed the customer another guitar off the rack. He told Jimmy he would take it out of his pay (but never did) . Lesson learned
Old 05-16-2016, 01:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ready for the neck:

Clean up the glue squeeze out and wait for 24 hours for the Hot Hide Glue to set up.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:49 PM

Wow Tim,

It looks like the buffer wheel did it's job with a little help from you I guess!! That came out fantastic.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:07 PM

I have liked all the guitars you kindly document for us but I am really looking forward to see this one (well both) completed. That body looks fantastic.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:01 AM

It seems like every year I ask this, but will these be gone by the time the McJam happens? I love that rosette.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Wow Tim,

It looks like the buffer wheel did it's job with a little help from you I guess!! That came out fantastic.
Actually the buffing wheels and our pet minions do all the work after we turn the lights out. We just pose for the occasional picture to throw the audience off.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I have liked all the guitars you kindly document for us but I am really looking forward to see this one (well both) completed. That body looks fantastic.
We are getting very close to the finish line so stay tuned.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop