The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-17-2019, 04:27 PM

Default Exhaustive ToneDexter Experiment

I very carefully trained my K&K equipped Martin CEO7 using a Miktek PM5 in the four suggested mic positions described on the ToneDexter web site.

And then for each wavemap I recorded a short piece 5 times using:
1) 100%, Ch2
2) 100%, Ch0
3) 80%
4) 60%
5) 33%

Down under: 6” out and 6” down from the bottom hollow of the guitar, point the mic up at where the picking hand is.

Up top: The mirror image of down under, on the upper (bass) side.

Neck joint: 10” – 15” away in the front, pointing straight at the place where the body meets the neck.

Over nut: 12-15” directly above the nut, pointed back at the sound hole.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:14 PM

Excellent work! It's interesting how the mic positions can yield such different results. I almost feel as though the best plan of attack would be to set aside an hour, record 8-10 different wavemaps with the mic in different positions and then just figure out which is best. My main issue right now is that all of my good condenser mics are the larger style for vocals. I only have a cheap MXL pencil condenser and an SM-57. I really want to try the SM81 but it's a lot to drop on a mic that I will simply use for training.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:09 PM

Lot of variation! My favorite is neck joint/33%.

Couch Standards
Old 09-17-2019, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Thats great work - it shows just how hard it is to record an acoustic guitar - many of those sound great, and could easily be used for different songs or tones. It also shows how by adjusting the position of a mic it can really influence the wavemap - a worthy experiment! Thanks for posting!
Old 09-17-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I really want to try the SM81 but it's a lot to drop on a mic that I will simply use for training.
Not having a small diameter condenser myself, my best Tonedexter training employing my mic collection has been with an Audix SPX25 - a superb mic for acoustic guitar and piano... but I have also gotten excellent wavemaps from an inexpensive omnidirectional lavalier mic, the Movo LV-6.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:13 AM

Wow, great job & thanks for posting. Bravo you.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
My main issue right now is that all of my good condenser mics are the larger style for vocals. I only have a cheap MXL pencil condenser and an SM-57. I really want to try the SM81 but it's a lot to drop on a mic that I will simply use for training.
I would highly recommend the iSK Pearl. You can search for reviews and the consensus is that the price ($29) is a fraction of its value:

https://www.iskproaudio.com/products/pearl

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 09-18-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Excellent work! It's interesting how the mic positions can yield such different results. I almost feel as though the best plan of attack would be to set aside an hour, record 8-10 different wavemaps with the mic in different positions and then just figure out which is best. My main issue right now is that all of my good condenser mics are the larger style for vocals. I only have a cheap MXL pencil condenser and an SM-57. I really want to try the SM81 but it's a lot to drop on a mic that I will simply use for training.
Hi P1818

Microphones can be borrowed, and/or rented.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-18-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi P1818

Microphones can be borrowed, and/or rented.

For sure. The major chain here in Canada, "Long & Mcquade" rent out mics, it's more so the fact of finding time to get the mic and bring it back. The closest location is about an hour away. Still, that is a good option.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Your LD condenser should work fine. Many people prefer them anyway, and especially for this purpose, I doubt you'd notice a big difference just between LD and SD. Everything affects results, placement, the mic, etc, but it's not guaranteed what will actually work better with your guitar. Personally, I've used all kinds of mics with ToneDexter and results have been good with everything, even an SM57. I usually use the neck/joint placement regardless of the mic, but you can tweak the sound a bit with minor placement changes. You'd probably make greater changes in results just from moving the mic than from a small difference like an LD vs an SD.

Last edited by Doug Young; 09-19-2019 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I usually use the neck/joint placement regardless of the mic...
Doug,

Can you give us some specifics on this? How far away, how you angle the mic, etc.?

Thanks.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Doug,

Can you give us some specifics on this? How far away, how you angle the mic, etc.?

Thanks.
I'm not all that organized or consistent with it. I just did a big retraining exercise, re-doing 8 guitars, and just used a Gefell M300 on a desk stand, so I could train sitting at the computer. I'd start with the mic about 8-10 inches away, aimed at the neck/body joint. The mic is slightly lower than the guitar, so aiming up a bit - but that's more of an accident than any plan.

My process is to have the ToneDexter's output into my computer interface, so I train, save, then record a few seconds with TD with the various character settings and listen back - so I'm not fooled by hearing some of the direct acoustic sound. If I dont like it, move the mic a few inches and try again. Most guitars were good the 1st take. With a couple I thought I could get something better and either backed-up, pulled my chair forward, or moved the mic a little.

While there's definitely a difference with mic placements, and mics, it seems to me to be far less than when you're recording and hearing the actual mics
Old 09-19-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
My process is to have the ToneDexter's output into my computer interface, so I train, save, then record a few seconds with TD with the various character settings and listen back - so I'm not fooled by hearing some of the direct acoustic sound.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-19-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

David, Thanks for your time and effort in bringing your comparison demos to us!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification