The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-15-2020, 03:08 PM

A set of medium gauge strings, 0.013 to 0.056 pulls a total of 80.67 Kg on a 65 cm string length. A light gauge set, 0.010 to 0.050 pulls 60.69 Kg on the same string length.

If you tune all the strings of a light gauge set up three semi-tones the pull goes up to 85.82 Kg, just slightly more than the medium gauge set. That wouldn't do much, if any, harm to a normal guitar.

Do the same to the medium set and the pull goes up to 114.06 Kg.

I suppose that if I wanted to tune up several frets, and I don't, I'd go to a lighter string set first.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A light gauge set, 0.010 to 0.050 pulls 60.69 Kg on the same string length.
Those gauge numbers look awful low to me for regular lights. Are you sure about that? More like super lights.
A typical light gauge set, at least what I'm accustomed to, runs at .012 to .053 on average. The resultant Force number is higher I suspect, and closer to mediums.
You bring up a useful option for the OP though. He should get those numbers for what he/she is attempting to do. To make sure they remain in the ball park once the guitar is tuned up.
Lastly, some custom guitars are braced for light gauge. Even mediums on those would not be a good idea.
So, the OP should proceed with caution, and do some homework prior to tuning up so high.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 10-15-2020, 05:35 PM

Hi AndreF, now you point it out you are right. The figures come from this site;

http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html

scroll down for the good bit. The numbers are from the first two of their drop down pre-sets. You can input any string size, string length and type and tuning.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar344 View Post
I'm will to go three notes higher with a set of 12's. After that I'm worried the strings will break.
Why would you want to tune any higher? Especially with 12s?
Use a capo or fit ligher strings.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Why would you want to tune any higher? Especially with 12s?
Use a capo or fit ligher strings.
Could get away with it on a 12 string with just six string on with a set of 12's. Tension is still less than all 12 strings tuned to standard on a standard set. Capo takes neck space.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Could get away with it on a 12 string with just six string on with a set of 12's. Tension is still less than all 12 strings tuned to standard on a standard set. Capo takes neck space.
I'm not saying there aren't ways to do it. I just want to know why.
I appreciate the capo robs you of some frets, which is why lighter strings than 12s would be OK for a higher tuning with no capo. I reckon 9s could go some way up, maybe as much as 4 or 5 half-steps.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:11 PM

Up to open E if running light (.012) strings.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not saying there aren't ways to do it. I just want to know why.
I appreciate the capo robs you of some frets, which is why lighter strings than 12s would be OK for a higher tuning with no capo. I reckon 9s could go some way up, maybe as much as 4 or 5 half-steps.
Lighter gauge strings put less stress on the guitar but the stings will snap at about the same degree of overly high
tuning (i.e. about three to four half steps over standard tuning pitches).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-17-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
Ever heard of Open E?
Thou shall not tune higher than standard........

All but 3 of my guitars are in DADGAD and lower tunings. If I want higher, I'll use a capo.

If something I wanted to learn was in "open E" I would do this

"Open E" = E-B-E-G♯-B-E.

I would tune to D-A-D-F#-A-D and use a capo on 2. Masaaki Kishibe uses this tuning often btw.

Your strings will thank you.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-17-2020, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
If something I wanted to learn was in "open E" I would do this

"Open E" = E-B-E-G♯-B-E.

I would tune to D-A-D-F#-A-D and use a capo on 2. Masaaki Kishibe uses this tuning often btw.

Your strings will thank you.
I do the same. The only instance where I tune up to open E without worry is when I'm doodling on my strat. But never on the acoustics.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-17-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Lighter gauge strings put less stress on the guitar but the stings will snap at about the same degree of overly high
tuning (i.e. about three to four half steps over standard tuning pitches).
Yes, but a set of 9s usually has an 11 as the B string. That one (at least) would easily go up 5 half-steps to E.
The 16 3rd from a set of 9s is the usual 2nd in a set of 12s, so that would easily go to B, just a little tighter at C.
Likewise for the remaining lower strings.
The risky one would be the 9 itself, I guess. I'm not sure I'd want to tune a 9 up to A. Not without wearing some protective clothing...

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-17-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, but a set of 9s usually has an 11 as the B string. That one (at least) would easily go up 5 half-steps to E.
The 16 3rd from a set of 9s is the usual 2nd in a set of 12s, so that would easily go to B, just a little tighter at C.
Likewise for the remaining lower strings.
The risky one would be the 9 itself, I guess. I'm not sure I'd want to tune a 9 up to A. Not without wearing some protective clothing...

You going need a scale length 23 or less to tune to A4 safely. I would not tune the octave G on 12 string any higher.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:13 AM

Quote:
You going need a scale length 23 or less to tune to A4 safely. I would not tune the octave G on 12 string any higher.
Right. I don't have a 12-string myself, and I see that the octave G is usually the same gauge as the 1st string, so is already tuned a m3 higher.

But of course that does mean that a normal set of 6-string 9s could easily go a m3 higher. As I said before, the other 5 strings on a set that light can clearly go up by a 4th. It's just that top 9 that would be risky. Maybe an 8 would do it?
Old 10-20-2020, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

I gravitate towards the songs I want to learn to play - and if there's some magic in what I hear, and I choose to learn the song, if it's in an alternate tuning, I'll often use that tuning.

Simon fox has some songs that require turning some strings higher than standard. As I recall, low to high, one tuning is F, A#, D, F, C D#. It's called Smithy's porridge. Beautiful song and so easy to play - in that tuning. You could lower every note by 1/2 or a full step, and use a cappo, but it does impact the overall end product.

There are some guitars that I'm less comfortable using this tuning, given the additional tension - where the guitar is lighter and perhaps at greater risk of damage from the stress added by tuning up the lower strings.

Stuart
Old 10-21-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
Ever heard of Open E?

I used to keep my Takamine (EAN-20) in Open E all the time. It had 13-56 mediums on it and sounded great and hasn’t even a hint of a belly on its solid cedar top.

That particular guitar loves alternate tunings. It sounds great in DADGAD, Open D, Open G and Open E. For about 10 years it’s been in Eb standard.

All my other guitars are much more finicky about strings and tunings, but my Tak is tough as nails and seems to respond to many different tensions and resonances.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write