The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-13-2020, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Mahogany top, what bracing?

I am considering ordering a Martin CS D18 with a mahogany top. I was just going to order a standard D18 layout but with a mahogany top. Someone in another thread indicated that I should consider GE bracing. Since spruce responds differently to mahogany, would GE style bracing enhance this guitar, or is it likely to have minimal or negative impact?

Honestly, I like my D15 models, so it's not like I'm looking for something more like a GE (which I already own). So, what bracing would seem like the best option here?
Old 10-14-2020, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-14-2020, 07:45 PM

Since it takes more to drive that top, and it’s stronger, personally I’d go with whatever is the lightest they offer; hoping it would be lively like an old Kalamazoo out of the box.

Good Guys:
Howlin Bob,skiproberts,Dustinfurlow, jherr, sevenpalms, Methos1979, Flat Top, bgpicker, Luria, TobyWalker, JerryM,jonfields45,eljay,buddyhu,funky2x

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair