The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-10-2020, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Current tunes you're practicing?

In CGDGAD, from El McMeen's Celtic Guitar Treasures:

1. When You and I were Young Maggie
2. The Fair Flower of Northumberland
3. Mo Giolla Mear
**edit**
4. Fanny Power. I was putting this one off until I finished the others, but what the heck.

I have a few more on the back burner in DADGAD, but I want to get more progress with the ones above. I also have Doug Young's "Understanding DADGAD" book which is really interesting which I want to get back to.

I have more tabs/notation than I have time it appears,

What are you working on?

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

Last edited by TBman; 10-11-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

I work at many tunes all the time. I enjoy it. Two that I'm getting under my fingers are House of the riding sun and I am a way faring stranger. I'm working them up as stand along flat pick tunes. The difficulty I am having is that they are close enough in chord structure that I have to pay close attention to not switching tunes by accident or a mind glitch. That and learning to move from major to minor or minor to major picking single and double notes.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-11-2020, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Barry, those are some beautiful tunes and arrangements, look forward to hearing your versions.

Without having any sort of conscious plan I’ve fallen into a routine of having 5 or six in various stages of development at a time.

Currently I’m just getting going on Avalon Blues. I’ve been learning a new John Hurt song every few weeks for the better part of a year with my teacher. At some point I need to go back and commit more of my favorites to memory.

I’m memorizing and polishing up Deep River Blues, Hesitation Blues and St. James Infirmary. That process takes me several months, which used to really bother me. Then I read somewhere that Tony Rice never performed a tune without practicing it for at least a year.

I recently joined David Hamburger’s monthly program where he takes you through a tune, from the basic arrangement to an “embellished” version and all the way to improvising and arranging a week at a time, using both live a recorded videos. Current tune is a Drop D version of Stagolee. He is extremely thorough and articulate.

I’ve got a very long term project of Larry Pattis’s DADGAD arrangement of Ashokan Farewell.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:02 PM

Currently working on this arrangement of "Going to California":

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life -- Frank Zappa.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:43 PM

Working on:

Saskatchewan in 1881

and,

Blue Virginia Blue

Last edited by spock; 10-11-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
Working on:

Saskatchewan in 1881

and,

Blue Virginia Blue

Fixed the links. Just use the section to the right of the = ....... youtube.com/watch?v=videolink
and if it has &t= after the link just trim that off too.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:51 PM

Barry, Thank you. I'l figure it out one of these days ha ha
Old 10-11-2020, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

I've had some physical stuff going on and have been getting back into playing more of late... still "romancing" this new Goodall Concert Jumbo of mine, still finding out exactly "what" this baby will do... lots of fun!

To that end, I've been just going through my repertoire, getting the fingers (and tips!) and hands back into playing shape...

There are a number of songs that I've been wanting to dig up or learn, though... one that occurred to me last night was the song, "Mister, You're A Better Man Than I", a tune from the 60's that I think was by the Yardbirds, but I don't know who wrote the tune... sentiments seem particularly appropriate for this time...

Another one would be "A Satisfied Mind", another old one that I'll re-configure and do in my own style...

One of the last "hard" tunes I picked up was a Donald Fagen tune called "Trans-Island Skyway", the opening piece on his second solo record, Kamakiriad. It's a great song (come on! It's a CAR song!) and the harmony is very interesting, but add the rhytmic groove and it's one of those "patting your head while you rub your stomach" things...

I'd like to learn a couple more of Fagen's tunes; thinking of "Florida Room" (which will be tough on one guitar and voice), and "Cousin Dupree".

Always something percolating, but I'd always rather work on/complete an original piece than learn a song by somebody else...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-12-2020, 09:34 AM

As usual, working through my own stuff. I used to think I didn't have enough material in DGDGBE tuning but that's changing with two new ones that have kept me fixated for a while now. "Sweet Nothings" and then the most recent one, "For a Better Tomorrow", which seems almost a complement to "Hymn for Change" earlier in this year.
A couple of small gigs this summer got me back to practicing my set list in various tunings, and reminded me that I need to keep these current and that they just don't remain in good form without constant practice.....duh!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 10-13-2020, 10:02 AM

I'm a little all over the map lately but mostly working through Big Love which I have learned but nowhere near the speed that I want. Just getting started with Deep River Blues from a youtube video by Blues guitar institute and Cherry Wine by Hozier. Which are both going pretty slow. Reeve21 seems to have similar tastes to mine as I am interested in learning a good arrangement of both St. James Infirmary & Hesitation Blues. If nothing else comes from this slow time for me I hope to emerge a better guitarist.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bolding View Post
Reeve21 seems to have similar tastes to mine as I am interested in learning a good arrangement of both St. James Infirmary & Hesitation Blues. If nothing else comes from this slow time for me I hope to emerge a better guitarist.
Mark,

The arrangement I play of Hesitation Blues is by Toby Walker. He has a couple of different versions on his website. He also has a good one of Deep River Blues that is a little different than some I've seen, I like it very much.

I learned St. James Infirmary from David Hamburger. It was a "song of the month" in his Fretboard Confidential curriculum. I'm not sure if he makes it available outside of that format, but he is easily found on the internet, you could ask him.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:46 AM

A lot of DADGAD so I can feel more fluent. I get what It does and I'm just fine interpreting where to go or improvise in double drop d, but I get a bit thrown off on scales and some chords by forgetting to compensate for the a.

Also Will McNicol and Mike Dawes exercises from TNAG sessions. And Larry Pattis got me some tabs of his so I've been trying to stretch from my normal slap acoustic/pop covers. Don't get me wrong I like those too, but in two years I'm not going to think everyone will still be obsessed with Blinding Lights and Dance Monkey so I better add some more traditional songs to my repertoire.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:49 AM

Trying to master a passable arrangement of Deep River Blues. Also enjoying James Taylor's arrangement of The Water Is Wide.

Also, I'm a small church pastor and all our worship is online due to the 'rona, so I'm multitracking a ton of hymns these days.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Mark,

The arrangement I play of Hesitation Blues is by Toby Walker. He has a couple of different versions on his website. He also has a good one of Deep River Blues that is a little different than some I've seen, I like it very much.

I learned St. James Infirmary from David Hamburger. It was a "song of the month" in his Fretboard Confidential curriculum. I'm not sure if he makes it available outside of that format, but he is easily found on the internet, you could ask him.

Hope that helps.
Thank You for that Bob. I appreciate the David Hamburger link; I do subscribe to his youtube channel but I haven't joined the finger style 5. I did get to meet and have dinner with David & his wife as part of the Acoustic guitar magazine 2003 cruise which was quite a lot of fun. I will keep an eye on your soundcloud for uploads of these new songs
Old 10-13-2020, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Working with Teja on a two-guitar arrangement of Eric's Sky's tune The Locktender's Reel.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write