The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-07-2020, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Default So what is the neatest (from a geeks point of view) guitar software that you have?

For years I read here how members used Transcribe! and other software that slows down mp/video files for play back. Finally last year I broke down and got Transcribe!

Really neat stuff for an old fat fingered guy to have. I'm using it now to learn a new piece and I can slow the thing down to listen, then play it myself, go back listen again etc. What I really like is how easy it is to have a section looped so you can have the playback on auto pilot as you play a section over and over again.

Another new piece of software I have is Reaper. I was using Audition as a DAW and finally realized that I was overpaying. Reaper does everything I need for $60, and done.

Rx 7 Standard. Nice piece of software for audio editing and repair. I caught a great sale on it this year.

GuitarPro (notation and tab software) - I use this to compose and as a training device for difficult sections

What are your favorites?

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-07-2020, 07:23 PM

I'm a long time user of the Amazing Slow Downer.

I'd be curious to others opinions who have used ASD as well as some of the other apps that slow down songs to help you learn them...

GuitarPro is also handy!
Old 09-07-2020, 07:25 PM

What? Guitars have software now? Goodness.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:08 AM

Thank you for this thread. I'm oblivious to technology.

Is there an app or program that can read/play a score and slow it down for my liking?
Old 09-08-2020, 03:32 AM

I remember that Sibelius could translate an Image of a score into a Sibelius file. You could then change the speed at which it played. I now use Musescore. You can't directly scan a score into Musescore but you can use a program like Playscore to scan a paper score and produce a file that Musescore can recognise.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
I remember that Sibelius could translate an Image of a score into a Sibelius file. You could then change the speed at which it played. I now use Musescore. You can't directly scan a score into Musescore but you can use a program like Playscore to scan a paper score and produce a file that Musescore can recognise.
Thank you so much.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:26 AM

I was going to say Transcribe before I read your post!

The other programs I use all the time are Sibelius First (entry level) for notation (and tab when necessary) and Audacity for audio recording and editing.

I never managed to get to grips with DAW software: Cubase Lite, Reaper, whatever. Audacity is much simpler - you can multitrack and add effects, and it's all totally free. The interface is stupidly simple. Instead of having to set up tracks and all kinds of other stuff before you start recording, on Audacity you just press the red button and it's recording.

The only thing you can't do (AFAIK) is record more than two tracks at the same time - but then I never need to do that. It's also audio only, not midi, but again that's fine for what I need. If I have something written in Sibelius I can play it as audio and record it as a track in Audacity that way if I want.
Aside from my own guitars (and bass etc) I'm limited (atm) to Sibelius's sound samples (mostly pretty good) for things like keyboards or drums, which can get fiddly if I want to make a complex track, but of course copy and paste is as easy on Audacity as on Sibelius.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Interesting and informative thread Barry. Thanks.
I haven't used guitar software in many years, but now realize that I need to "get with the program", so to speak.
First off:
If I play and know a song I've learned by ear, but now want to get it down on paper to archive it, either TAB or notation or both, is there a software that is particularly good at this?
Ideally, I'd like to just play the piece and have the software spit it out in written form, but that's probably asking for too much. What's the closest thing available to accomplish this?

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-08-2020, 06:23 AM

Tone Generator

Key transposer/chord finder

Pedalboard planners/builders http://www.pedalplayground.com/ ~~~ http://pedalboardplanner.com/

Guitar tuning database https://gtdb.org/

Free Daw https://www.audacityteam.org/

Online File Converter http://www.convertfiles.com/

Online photo editor https://www.photopea.com/

Bee Gees chords http://www.beegees-world.com/chords.html
Old 09-08-2020, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Band In A Box is an incredible songwriting tool. It's come a long way since the general midi days. I get lost in it for hours.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 09-08-2020, 09:24 AM

While I'll still play guitar for the simple pleasure of it, most of my focus and effort in the past few years has been composing music to use along with various words (mostly other people's, mostly poetry in the public domain) in my ongoing project. I present these things as recordings and little blog essays a couple of times a week for the few hundred that are interested in that sort of thing. Computers and software in invaluable for this. What software.

Well there's my DAW software along with virtual instruments and associated plugins. That's recording stuff with no application outside of that, so I'll skim over that, starting by saying that Apple Logic just by itself is great software with enough VI and plugins to keep someone creating for years.

I once made a lot of use of Band in A Box, mentioned up thread. I found it incredible software for learning about playing over chord changes, something I'm still not great at, but I'd be much worse without it.

A piece of inexpensive (I think there's even a free "lite" version) that I like is Guitarist's Reference, a little app that shows a ton of stuff related to scales and chords (including a slew of altered tunings.) Here's one feature I use all the time (and it'll let you know how lame I am as a guitar-theory-harmony guy). Say you've found an interesting chord somewhere on the guitar by exploration. Yes, I know, a real musician would know all the notes in all positions, and know their "chord chemistry" backwards and forwards. Using the "Finder" function in Guitarists Reference and its graphic of a fretboard, you can easily find out those chords a set of notes "spell". And you can play with it to see what happens when you move a finger or add a note.

So you say, I can already do that: any three to six notes on the fretboard I can tell you what chord it might be. You're a better man than I.

OK. Can you still do it if you're playing around in Michael Hedges' CGDGBC tuning?

I first used it on Windows 10, and it's also available on iPad OS. There may be a better app for what it does, but it's one I found and use.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-08-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
…What are your favorites?
hi barry

My favorite guitar software are my fingertips.

Computer-wise, I use a quick-edit tool for editing tracks for video called AmadeusPro for Macintosh.

All my plugins and normal-expected-to-be-using tools for prepping existing tracks for video.

Indispensable when I don't need a full editing suite.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-08-2020, 12:27 PM

Not directly guitar-related, but I love my Behringer XR18 mixer that's tablet controlled. 18in/6out full-featured with effects and recording capability, the size of a loaf of bread, and I can mix from my mic stand. Too cool.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post

I'd be curious to others opinions who have used ASD as well as some of the other apps that slow down songs to help you learn them...

GuitarPro is also handy!
I also love ASD. It changes the speed of the music without changing the pitch. I use it for practice and backing track accompaniments. A cool app to have in your toolbox.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 09-08-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post

GuitarPro is also handy!
ASD is great. I use it all the time to practice. OnSong as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write