The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-22-2020, 09:57 AM
The Pearl of the Orient

Default Guitar Inlay ideas, suggestions, and where to find?

Hello all, for almost 20 years the idea of a decent inlay has eluded me. I've drawn and thought up many inlays but nothing ever seems right.

Simple, sweet, delicate, etc come to mind as suitable inlay descriptions. Not interested in full fretboard masterpieces. And since its custom im not interested in spending thousands.

Does anyone know if there is some sort of website with tons and tons of examples that I might be able to pour over?

Right now the only inlay I would consider is Martins Pearls of Wisdom, and thats last resort. To be completely honest I'm not to keen on using some other companies inlay for a custom guitar.

Your thoughts?
Old 10-22-2020, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

If you haven’t found anything that you really like yet, then maybe you should not go for something custom.

I assume you’ve looked through google images, and pinterest, which has a pretty wide range of fretboard images, ranging from historic to very modern. Also, think about whether you are looking for decoration, or position markers - putting the 2 together just adds another interesting layer of complication. And I can assure you, a great many luthiers have gone through the same quandary, trying to come up with something unique, practical, and affordable -
Old 10-22-2020, 10:30 AM

Since it is "custom", it should reflect your interests and your aesthetic tastes.

I'd start by identifying what interests you. Is it nature, mathematics, cars, art, architecture, food, wine...?

Once you have a subject that interests you, explore images, motifs and visual arts that express those things. Sources of inspiration can be the objects themselves or existing art work depicting those things.

Looking through random examples of what other people have done probably isn't the best approach.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:40 AM

Have you looked at the De Paule Supply site?:

https://www.luthiersupply.com/
Old 10-22-2020, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Go here:

https://www.luthiersupply.com
Old 10-22-2020, 05:49 PM

Find a repairer.. A repairer - luthier typically cuts their own shell.

A lot of custom guitar builders that I know off build the guitars but order the shell precut in, be that a headstock logo of fretboard design.

A repairer is use to doing one off custom design runs.

I am midway through a design for a gibson where the customer has asked for an eagle to be displayed at each marker position during flight each shell being different

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-22-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Find a repairer.. A repairer - luthier typically cuts their own shell.

A lot of custom guitar builders that I know off build the guitars but order the shell precut in, be that a headstock logo of fretboard design.

A repairer is use to doing one off custom design runs.

I am midway through a design for a gibson where the customer has asked for an eagle to be displayed at each marker position during flight each shell being different

Steve
I used to have DePaule do my logos for me. They were 6 bucks a pop when I first started buying logos from them, higher now. I couldn't buy the pearl for what the pre-cuts cost, so that was a factor.

Individual inlays like what you are doing are VERY labor intensive, and there are very few people that will put as much money into custom inlays as what an entire basic instrument might cost.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:55 PM

You could mosaic or customize your own combinations of the inlays offered here:

https://www.shellex.com/

They have over 100 traditional guitar inlay designs, and too many others to count.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:00 PM
The Pearl of the Orient

I had a chance to look through many inlay designs thanks to you all. Over the years I have scoured the internet for pictures and designs. Steve might have had it about right as it makes sense for me to think I should go with something the Luther is most comfortable working with.

In the end I dont want to end up with nothing on the fretboard, as the quality of wood and Luther's ability to make it sound the best it can is the most important thing to me. This post is more of a last chance effort to possibly finding an idea i just wouldn't be able to live without.

I appreciate every response. Thank you.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuksan View Post

WOW! That is an astounding page! One I've got to save for future ogling!

Don
Old 10-26-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuksan View Post

I second this. Great choices for inlay material.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:19 AM

Not sure if the photo will come up, this is from my phone taking a snap shot to send to customer for approval.

The circles are the old gibson fret markers which are for reference and will be filled with fresh rosewood prior to cutting the pearl

Steve

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 10-26-2020 at 07:25 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair