The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-26-2020, 01:04 PM

Default Well I received a very disturbing call this morning from one of my guitar students...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
You have no idea what the teachers agenda is, nor how much or how little work the OP put in. You may not mean it to, but this post comes off as sanctimonious and self-righteous........
Look, the OP wasn't offended. In fact he thought it was funny, agreed with my assessment, and quit. Apparently his teacher repeated every word I said (verbatim?). What are the chances of that? Actually it's quite high if you use LOGIC.

MY next LOGICAL question, of course, is why are YOU offended?

Unfortunately we are living in an era where people are quick-tempered and looking for offence under every rock. If there are multiple interpretations of a situation/event, then the prudent move is to go with the positive interpretation and give people the benefit of the doubt. Things run a lot smoother that way...
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 02-26-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyException View Post
Just reduce the frequency; a lesson every two weeks instead of every week. You keep the discipline and structure of professional tuition, but gain time to indulge in some fun stuff too. If your teacher won't agree to it, find another one who will. I've been with my current teacher for a year, but I got through three others before I signed up with him.
This is it here. Give yourself the space you need to absorb the material, then your visits with the instructor will be more worthwhile. Every 2wks, 3wks, once a month, whatever it takes. And also the idea of trying lessons with other teachers is key, you'll find someone you click with and inspires you, understands your pace and abilities. You haver a long way on this journey, keep evaluating as you go.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 02-26-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
Look, the OP wasn't offended. In fact he thought it was funny, agreed with my assessment, and quit. Apparently his teacher repeated every word I said (verbatim?). What are the chances of that? Actually it's quite high if you use LOGIC.

MY next LOGICAL question, of course, is why are YOU offended?

Unfortunately we are living in an era where people are quick-tempered and looking for offence under every rock. If there are multiple interpretations of a situation/event, then the prudent move is to go with the positive interpretation and give people the benefit of the doubt. Things run a lot smoother that way...
I was going to use the "roll-eyes" emoji in my response to your post. They are even more applicable to this one.

Yes, my response was certainly heated, wasn't it.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-03-2020, 09:39 AM

I would discuss how I feel with the instructor, and make that person aware of my situation. I wouldn't quit taking lessons though. Anyone can benefit from learning basic music theory. Who knows, someday you may change your mind about having lessons, and you cannot recapture the time you lost by quitting lessons. And, to a degree, you will lose some of what you have already learned.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
So, ..... sort of takes the fun out of playing for me.
Playing guitar for me, is a way to unwind after a hard day of factory work. ..........

I think this would settle if for me. Playing guitar should be fun
Though there is “the other side of the coin”
If you want to get good at it then you have to pay your dues.

Perhaps you can cut your lessons down to every 2 weeks or once a month. Or perhaps you need a new teacher that structures the lesson in a way that better fulfills your physical, spiritual and emotional needs.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-05-2020, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, I've been taking guitar lessons for a few months now and I'm thinking about quitting. My teacher is very good but very serious about technique and playing in time(which I guess he should be) but I feel like having a strict regiment of scales and a song that I'm supposed to have learned by the next week, sort of takes the fun out of playing for me.
Playing guitar for me, is a way to unwind after a hard day of factory work. Also, a hard day at the shop, leaves my body(and hands) sore. So I don't feel like I'm giving the stuff he gives me to practice, the time and attention it deserves because I either don't have the time(because of working overtime) or the energy.
Plus, I know I'm never going to be a professional musician, it's just a hobby for me.
What do you think, should I stick with it a little longer and see what happens?
Take a break, but keep working on your lessons and practice. When you hit a plateau, start up some more lessons.
I have taken lessons off and on every couple years for about 20 years and I always get better, always find new tricks, and to validate some other wise AGF replies: I also have to unlearn habits that hinder progress.
The most useful off all of my guitar lessons were when I took a few months of bass guitar lessons. So fun. Made me better at all guitars, better at understanding chord structure, and better at learning the fretboard. etc.

It should be said- timing and scales are tedious, but not as tedious as playing with someone who can’t keep time.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, I've been taking guitar lessons for a few months now and I'm thinking about quitting. My teacher is very good but very serious about technique and playing in time(which I guess he should be) but I feel like having a strict regiment of scales and a song that I'm supposed to have learned by the next week, sort of takes the fun out of playing for me.
Hi Mad Max
Don't let yourself become Distressed Max. Playing guitar is a hobby not a marriage.

If it's not fun, take a break from lessons. Many people who never took lessons enjoy their guitars just fine.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-06-2020, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

It has been several months since Max posted this and I hope that he got it sorted out one way or the other. I hope so. I think that a lot of times students are not very clear about expectations and the teacher has to do a guessing game to try and get a feeling for what the student wants. That takes a lot of time to figure out. I recently started taking guitar lessons and was pretty clear that I'm old, I'm very laid back, that I am not a serious guitar player and I'm just having fun. Also that I want to play the blues. My teacher has been great in all those regards and I'm learning a lot of interesting stuff. He in no way puts any pressure on me. Most every lesson ends with the attitude of "work on that and next week well talk about it before we tackle more."
Old 10-06-2020, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Playing guitar for me, is a way to unwind after a hard day of factory work. Also, a hard day at the shop, leaves my body(and hands) sore. So I don't feel like I'm giving the stuff he gives me to practice, the time and attention it deserves because I either don't have the time(because of working overtime) or the energy.
Plus, I know I'm never going to be a professional musician, it's just a hobby for me.

I know how you feel and I think it depends on how disciplined you are. Lessons are not a requirement for playing the guitar. Some people need and like the structure, others don't. Most people I know, whose goal is just to relax and play some pop or rock songs on the acoustic, have not taken lessons. They seem just fine. I have done both and seem to drift back and forth between taking lessons and being self-taught. No decision is forever.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 10-06-2020, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
It has been several months since Max posted this and I hope that he got it sorted out one way or the other. I hope so. I think that a lot of times students are not very clear about expectations and the teacher has to do a guessing game to try and get a feeling for what the student wants. That takes a lot of time to figure out. I recently started taking guitar lessons and was pretty clear that I'm old, I'm very laid back, that I am not a serious guitar player and I'm just having fun. Also that I want to play the blues. My teacher has been great in all those regards and I'm learning a lot of interesting stuff. He in no way puts any pressure on me. Most every lesson ends with the attitude of "work on that and next week well talk about it before we tackle more."
Hm... I've got to start looking at the original posting date. This one is probably old news by now. Hopefully he's worked it all out.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 10-06-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
If you are learning to read musical notation then getting the timing correct without a teacher standing over you and pointing out when you go wrong is going to be pretty difficult. It's too easy to think your playing the song correctly because the notes/chords sound right.
Why don't you just explain the situation to your teacher, cut down the lessons to once every two or three weeks, record the lessons so you don't forget stuff.
Learning music from notation requires a different kind of concentration than improvising and playing by ear so maybe get your teacher to show you how to construct and improvise over chord progressions/ favourite song tracks and save the notated stuff for when you feel more alert.
Edit.. guess I should have noted the OPs posting date too!
Old 10-06-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

I could never do lessons. I tried but they never told me what I wanted to know.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-15-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I can sympathize to this. I didn't like the feeling of having homework. Yeah sure I can "learn it" and perform it by next week but it seemed like I haven't digested the material at that point so I stopped and took a break for a while. At that time, I didn't really enjoy what I was learning. I wasn't ready to be a student.

Couple of years went by and one day I came back to the same teacher. I wrote down and thought hard about my goals this time and somehow things kind of magically lined up and I enjoyed every bit of material. Now, I feel like I'm in the right direction and I can understand pretty much any youtube tutorials so I can take it from here.

Bottom line, trust your gut. If it doesn't feel right at the moment, take a break. It will come back to you.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I could never do lessons. I tried but they never told me what I wanted to know.
Did you ever tell them what you wanted to learn?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write