The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-22-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Cables going from Interface to Amplifier

Got my new Audient ID44 on Saturday. Having a pro engineer com over in an hour to help me to get going on the basics with my DAW.
Exciting and Frustrating at the same time...as I have so many questions! Sometimes all you can do is laugh(is there a abbreviation for that?)
I need to have some cables made up to go from my line outs of the Audient, to my old fashioned HI FI stereo amplifier, and then to my speakers.
I have a company that made up some very nice new microphone cables...called H.A.V.E
What Audient Says:"In order to keep your audio noise free, we would recommend against the use of unbalanced (TS, RCA.. etc) cables on the line outputs"
So I need to go from 1/4 Tip Ring Sleeve(out of the Audient) to RCA on my HI Fi Stereo.
Is there any specific type of Cable - brand - wiring I need to tell H.A.V.E before ordering?
Old 10-22-2020, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Got my new Audient ID44 on Saturday. Having a pro engineer com over in an hour to help me to get going on the basics with my DAW.
Exciting and Frustrating at the same time...as I have so many questions! Sometimes all you can do is laugh(is there a abbreviation for that?)
I need to have some cables made up to go from my line outs of the Audient, to my old fashioned HI FI stereo amplifier, and then to my speakers.
I have a company that made up some very nice new microphone cables...called H.A.V.E
What Audient Says:"In order to keep your audio noise free, we would recommend against the use of unbalanced (TS, RCA.. etc) cables on the line outputs"
So I need to go from 1/4 Tip Ring Sleeve(out of the Audient) to RCA on my HI Fi Stereo.
Is there any specific type of Cable - brand - wiring I need to tell H.A.V.E before ordering?
So to clarify you are wanting to use your Stereo Hifi and speakers in lieu of getting studio monitors , Yes ? And your Hifi unit only has RCA type input jacks Yes ? I don't think noise will be problem if you keep the cable lengths as short as possible (Under 25 ft max)

There are two types of adaptors that would work ,,,one is mono 1/4T/S input to a single mono RCA output.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GPR-104-...3401885&sr=8-5

and the other is 1/4 TRS input split to 2 RCA. where you would just use one of the two RCA jack into each RCA input on your stereo

https://www.amazon.com/Poyiccot-6-35...401344&sr=8-13

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-22-2020, 05:03 PM

If you're going to RCA (unbalanced) you can't take advantage of the benefits of balancing (cancellation of noise picked up within the cable), but that is less of a problem with the short runs you will probably have.

You'll need two TRS (Audient output) to RCA (stereo input) cables, but apparently how you wire them depends on whether the gear at either end is grounded or not. See this article.

You could probably just use a standard 1/4" TS to RCS cable, although I'm sure somebody with better electronics knowledge than me can say whether that might not be the optimal solution. You definitely don't want a "splitter" cable.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes, this is all you need.

But I'd just buy a $150-$200 pair of powered monitors.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Yes, this is all you need.

But I'd just buy a $150-$200 pair of powered monitors.
I would also, and why I asked for clarification ,,,, but that isn't what the OP asked

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-23-2020, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
...[snip]...
...[snip]...
You will only get the benefit from a balanced connection if the output is balanced, you use a balanced cable, and the input is balanced. Since your receiver uses an unbalanced input you won't have a benefit from your balanced output on the Audient, but as others have stated this will be a non-issue for shortish cable lengths in a typical environment.

Since the Audient's line outputs are an 'impedance balanced' configuration there is no issue connecting to an unbalanced input on your receiver. You have several options as others have shown. There is no problem using a 1/4" TS connection to your Audient. You could get cables made that go from a 1/4" TS to the RCA, or you could use a TS to TS cable with an adapter that goes from 1/4" TS to RCA.

Have fun with the new gear, and let's hear some recordings from it!

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 10-23-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:55 PM

From my personal experience I can say that running unbalanced TS cables to my Eris 5 monitors resulted in very audible noise, both AC hum and also hiss.

Even though the Eris 5 had a connection marked as "balanced / unbalanced 1/4" input" it did not work well for me to use 3 foot cables between the "unbalanced / balanced 1/4" output" of my Mackie Blackjack interface.

I switched to a pair of balanced 1/4" TRS cables and all of the noise completely went away.

It appears that any advice might need the YMMV attached to it.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

I can understand how a balanced cable could be beneficial in your case, but K&G’s receiver only has unbalanced RCA inputs.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 10-23-2020, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

I'm a big believer in doing something the right way unless the wrong can't be avoided. I keep hearing good things about these Kali monitors. If I was looking for a low cost solution to the issue at hand, a pair of these on their card for $8 a month seems a fairly painless solution.

Not telling you what to do, K&G, just putting an option out there for you.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD